Cell Phones

Can any rogers reps help me out? (Bought a blacklisted phone)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 1st, 2019 11:35 am
[OP]
Feb 22, 2017
92 posts
14 upvotes

Can any rogers reps help me out? (Bought a blacklisted phone)

So me being a dumbass thought a deal was too good to be true and ended up buying a blacklisted phone (didn't test it). It is a rogers phone.

The agent told me she cant unblacklist it unless the original owner calls. Ofcourse I can't get ahold of the person who sold the phone to me.

Can I be helped in this case?

Thanks
16 replies
Apr 20, 2015
129 posts
68 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
unfortunately unless the original owner contacts them n pays off the phone or whatever the problem is does something about it, there's nothing you can do with the phone it's unusable unless you find a way to change the IMEI. Which is illegal!
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4021 posts
1509 upvotes
Mississauga
Sell it to someone overseas where the blacklist doesn’t apply. Other than that, OP is SOL.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
10802 posts
5625 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Did you bought it on craigslist?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16255 posts
6251 upvotes
Oakville
As others have mentioned, you are SOL. Rogers can't/won't help you. So either sell it overseas, change the IMEI if you can (pretty hard with newer phones), or enjoy your new paperweight.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1216 posts
455 upvotes
Calgary
While it sucks, and I do think the blacklist system is broken, think what would happen if someone stole your phone then called your carrier to say you willingly sold it to them. Do you think the carrier would comply and un-blacklist the phone automatically?

No, they wouldn't, as that would make the blacklist almost completely irrelevant.

In all fairness though, I'm not sure how the system could be fixed, but even if it was, it wouldn't help much in your case because you failed to test the phone (or presumably check if the phone was blacklisted before you bought it). Consider this a learning lesson to buy from reputable sources, and don't trust a deal if it seems "too good to be true."
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16255 posts
6251 upvotes
Oakville
Devhux wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 9:57 am
While it sucks, and I do think the blacklist system is broken, think what would happen if someone stole your phone then called your carrier to say you willingly sold it to them. Do you think the carrier would comply and un-blacklist the phone automatically?

No, they wouldn't, as that would make the blacklist almost completely irrelevant.

In all fairness though, I'm not sure how the system could be fixed, but even if it was, it wouldn't help much in your case because you failed to test the phone (or presumably check if the phone was blacklisted before you bought it). Consider this a learning lesson to buy from reputable sources, and don't trust a deal if it seems "too good to be true."
The blacklist isn't there to protect consumers. It's there to kill the used phone market. And it's done an excellent job of that. It doesn't prevent any thefts, because it can take phones a while to show up on the blacklist after they're reported (so thieves put them up on kijiji and have them sold before they show up on the list) - and if they end up getting blacklisted before the thief gets a chance to sell it locally, the thief just sells it overseas like OP is going to have to do. The whole thing should be scrapped, but it never will be because the optics of admitting that it doesn't work would be disastrous for the CRTC.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15082 posts
2108 upvotes
Toronto
I was also of the opinion that the blacklist was biased toward the carriers until someone lifted my phone from my coat pocket. Called my carrier and had the phone blacklisted. I don't have my phone which is a bummer but I got some satisfaction by having it blacklisted.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16255 posts
6251 upvotes
Oakville
audit13 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 11:02 am
I was also of the opinion that the blacklist was biased toward the carriers until someone lifted my phone from my coat pocket. Called my carrier and had the phone blacklisted. I don't have my phone which is a bummer but I got some satisfaction by having it blacklisted.
Unfortunately, the only person who was punished is the person that inevitably ended up buying that phone, not realizing that it was stolen. The thief certainly wasn't. They were long gone. So while you had your cathartic moment, it's still the carriers (and the thief) that won in the end.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15082 posts
2108 upvotes
Toronto
wearysky wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 11:30 am
Unfortunately, the only person who was punished is the person that inevitably ended up buying that phone, not realizing that it was stolen. The thief certainly wasn't. They were long gone. So while you had your cathartic moment, it's still the carriers (and the thief) that won in the end.
I certainly understand your point.

Moral rhetorical/dilemma/question: I should not report my phone as stolen?
Last edited by audit13 on Dec 31st, 2018 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jan 11, 2017
38 posts
9 upvotes
That’s what happens when the deal is too good to be true. Put it back up for sale, someone may need it for parts or overseas as others have suggested.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
17677 posts
15547 upvotes
Toronto
mtmp4k wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 9:51 am
how do i sale it overseas
Ebay.
Not only did we embarrass Marky Mark, we let down the Funky Bunch.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16255 posts
6251 upvotes
Oakville
audit13 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 11:39 am
I certainly understand your point.

Moral rhetorical/dilemma/question: I should not report my phone as stolen?
That's entirely up to you - I'd probably still do it on the *off* chance that it shows up on the blacklist before the thief has a chance to dump it (to save people that actually check the blacklist from getting screwed like OP did), and to at least make it a TINY bit harder for the thief to sell it. But I'd still feel dirty doing it. Lol
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15082 posts
2108 upvotes
Toronto
wearysky wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 12:22 pm
That's entirely up to you - I'd probably still do it on the *off* chance that it shows up on the blacklist before the thief has a chance to dump it (to save people that actually check the blacklist from getting screwed like OP did), and to at least make it a TINY bit harder for the thief to sell it. But I'd still feel dirty doing it. Lol
It felt good at the time to have it blacklisted. It was an iPhone so I erased it and put it into lost mode with my iCloud account. I always enable "Find my xxx" feature on my Apple devices. I suppose it would not have made any difference if I did or did not black list the phone since it's basically useless other than for some parts.

If I didn't blacklist and it could be factory reset, the thief's buyer would get a working phone and there would be no potential repercussions for the thief.

OP: sorry to hear this happened to you.