Real Estate

Can anybody recommend a good/cheap real-estate lawyer??

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2016 3:44 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3394 posts
110 upvotes

Can anybody recommend a good/cheap real-estate lawyer??

i recently bought a house, and my closing is at the end of the month. I need to find a cheap/good real estate lawyer for title search, closing costs, land transfer etc.

by cheap i mean <$600
74 replies
Mar 30, 2007
152 posts
8 upvotes
Vancouver
Not to hijack your thread, but if anyone knows a goo/cheap real estate lawyer in the vancouver/lower mainland area plz let me know! :)
Feb 4, 2009
220 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Electricute wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2009 6:14 pm
i recently bought a house, and my closing is at the end of the month. I need to find a cheap/good real estate lawyer for title search, closing costs, land transfer etc.

by cheap i mean <$600
im also looking for a cheap lawyer this in toronto
May 17, 2007
3633 posts
746 upvotes
Burnaby
I have a good one in GVR. I used him last year when I bought my place, and I knew him from work. Really nice guy, and he gave me a deal. I only paid $250 for his fees, plus disbursements.

Pm me if interested.
Oct 26, 2006
660 posts
3 upvotes
+1 on a real estate lawyer. i just dropped an initial deposit on a new development, and looking to hire one.
Feb 4, 2009
220 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
jcools wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2009 3:46 pm
I used this lawyer on my purchase. Here is his quote:

http://www.balllawfirm.com/purchasequote.htm

I think his fee is reasonable, but this was my only purchase. Maybe I'm wrong??
whoa..so it would cost around 1000$ for everything when buying a home with this lawyer?
Feb 6, 2008
659 posts
7 upvotes
jcools wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2009 3:46 pm
I used this lawyer on my purchase. Here is his quote:

http://www.balllawfirm.com/purchasequote.htm

I think his fee is reasonable, but this was my only purchase. Maybe I'm wrong??
That doesn't include Title Insurance.

Title Insurance from TitlePlus or Stewart would be around $350 extra.
Jul 6, 2007
104 posts
4 upvotes
mississauga
Directly from the quote it says:

For example, the fees and disbursements with tax on a purchase with no mortgage and two names to be searched twice on executions would be $715.20. As another example, the fees and disbursements with tax on a purchase with one mortgage and three names to be searched twice would be $939.05.

The fee is $500 plus disbursements. The disbursements are mainly the actual costs they incur and all lawyers are going to charge this back. I am looking at paying $720 all in when my new condo finally closes. I had a friend who just closed on a used condo in toronto and paid $1,400 all in. (He did get a mortgage as well) If you have someone who can do better than $720 all in, I would sure love to know who they are. Please post their contact info for future references.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
1459 posts
131 upvotes
Just for comparison sake: when I purchased a condo (in Saskatoon, SK) my legal fees were $650 plus tax and disbursements were $843.
Feb 6, 2008
659 posts
7 upvotes
If you are not getting title insurance just to save a few hundred bucks, might as well do it yourself. The title insurance is to protect you from the lawyer's mistakes. Lawyers don't even do the searches themselves. They get their assistants to do it. If you don't have insurance, good luck suing the lawyer.

You don't have to use the electronic registration. You can just go to the land registration office and do it yourself. All the forms are here
http://www.ontario.ca/en/information_bu ... nNav=forms
The fees are here
http://www.ontario.ca/ontprodconsume/gr ... 018792.pdf
There are other services that offer title and execution searches.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
3036 posts
195 upvotes
Wow that is good to know, it's only $60 for title insurance?
Jul 15, 2009
22 posts
2 upvotes
toronto
I REALLY need to find someone in Toronto. Please PM me if you know of someone good/cheap ASAP!

Cheers :o
Feb 6, 2008
659 posts
7 upvotes
Jungle wrote:
Aug 4th, 2009 6:08 am
Wow that is good to know, it's only $60 for title insurance?
Unlikely.
TitlePlus and Stewart are the biggest ones and they both cost over $300. If you pay for a $60 insurance, don't expect much coverage.
× < >