Art and Photography

Can Anyone Breakdown Film Developing in the GTA?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2017 4:05 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2606 posts
458 upvotes
super_paws wrote:
Oct 14th, 2012 11:38 am
Great thread Neil.

My experience in the GTA is that SDM is the cheapest.

The location I go to will develop+scan for $2.99 per CD. That is per CD, not per roll.

I usually bring in 2-3 rolls at a time.
SDM has been cutting down on locations offering film/wet lab. A lot have moved on to the standalone kiosks with instant print.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3416 posts
358 upvotes
Toronto
bhrm wrote:
Oct 14th, 2012 8:12 pm
SDM has been cutting down on locations offering film/wet lab. A lot have moved on to the standalone kiosks with instant print.
My experience with SDM has not been good -- too many scratches on the film. I can't imagine that the rollers on their machines are cleaned too often.

C-41 is actually not all that hard to do at home in small tanks, especially if you're experienced with B&W. An added bonus is that those who scan their colour film (most people, these days) have a bit more leeway to correct colour and so don't necessarily have to be as spot-on with timing and temperature in the C-41 process. The limiting factor, of course, is the availability of C-41 kits in Canada -- they are getting very hard to find.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5017 posts
539 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
JHW wrote:
Oct 14th, 2012 9:49 pm
My experience with SDM has not been good -- too many scratches on the film. I can't imagine that the rollers on their machines are cleaned too often.

C-41 is actually not all that hard to do at home in small tanks, especially if you're experienced with B&W. An added bonus is that those who scan their colour film (most people, these days) have a bit more leeway to correct colour and so don't necessarily have to be as spot-on with timing and temperature in the C-41 process. The limiting factor, of course, is the availability of C-41 kits in Canada -- they are getting very hard to find.
There is no Shoppers 1 hour close to me so I asked about their drop off price, which is $8.99 a roll (24?) with prints and a CD.

Wal-Mart quoted me $5 to develop and $5 for a CD. They sell a reasonably priced package of Kodak Ultramax 400 film, 24 exp. x 5 rolls, for $16.

Looking at B&W, the price of 36 exposure film is expensive at Henry's or Vistek, usually in the $9. range. Some developers are reasonable, especially D-76 and HC-110. A one gallon package Of D-76 is $7 at Henry's, and will develop 38 rolls of 36 exp or 18 of 120 at 1:1 in a Nikor tank. Fix is a few cents extra, per film.

I decided to order Arista 400 film from www.freestylephoto.biz as I can get a 36 exp. roll or a 120 roll, in the $2.70 range, $4 shipped. By all accounts it is Kodak Tri-X 400, which has wonderful tonality.

Freestyle has a C-41 powder kit for $33, which will develop 16 rolls, but will only last 30 days after mixing. That makes SDM 1 hour or Pacific Mall an attractive choice. If I find myself shooting more color negative films, I might try the Freestyle Unicolor dry kit (they won't ship kits with bottles to Canada), and mix half a pack of powder at a time. Of course, if they threaten to discontinue the kits I'd stockpile the powder!

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Aug 3, 2011
781 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry to jack up the old thread but I have a couple questions. I just picked up some camera stuff and come along with them 3 development paid 24 exposure rolls. Could I take it to any store for development........its still valid for development etc......etc.....etc ?
Last question (the most stupid of all) what if I shoot a 200 ISO film pushed to higher ISO ? Never shot film before.
thanks
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5017 posts
539 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
If it is Black's Processing Included film, take it to them. They still sell this Fuji based film .

Color negative film should not be pushed as you will lose shadow and highlight details.
Sides can be pushed one or two stops in a custom lab such as www.torontoimageworks.com

Packard
Dec 8, 2005
630 posts
8 upvotes
Bumping this thread: Does anybody have a list of SDM that have wet labs? Need a location uptown in particular. I sent a message to corporate, but it went into the void.

Also, an update to DNP at Pacific Mall: They do indeed still offer processing in 1 hour. $2.30. Should've asked for scans as well, since my efforts with a Canoscan 9000F haven't been that great so far.
Nov 8, 2005
437 posts
3 upvotes
Does the shop at Pacific Mall develops 120 film? If not, any good shops who will do 120 film around North York area?
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1659 posts
197 upvotes
If your stuff is half serious, I would only develop them at a good lab, I use northern artists. Regarding scanning on a canon 9000F, are you scanning negatives or slides? I personally find negatives easier to scan than slides.
Wedding & Child Photographer ~ happily photographing
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5840 posts
347 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, the lab at Pacific Mall does 120 film.

They do next day pick up now because of the amount of film they get per day makes it costly to run the machines for a 1hr turn around time. So I was told by the owners.

I have some quality and general film in storage.
I will take the general film to Pacific Mall, and serious stuff to a serious lab for quality results.

Quality film at a normal film developing store is a waste.
M-e-X-x wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 7:22 am
Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Nov 8, 2005
437 posts
3 upvotes
kay188 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2013 3:14 pm
Yes, the lab at Pacific Mall does 120 film.

They do next day pick up now because of the amount of film they get per day makes it costly to run the machines for a 1hr turn around time. So I was told by the owners.

I have some quality and general film in storage.
I will take the general film to Pacific Mall, and serious stuff to a serious lab for quality results.

Quality film at a normal film developing store is a waste.
What's the name of the store, the one at Pacific Mall? Will you know the price for the 120 film b&w? Thx
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
4861 posts
161 upvotes
Just an update/more details when I went to DNP at Pacific Mall
- They only turn on their machine on Monday/Thursday
- 120 cost $3 + tax for develop only
- 35mm cost $2 + tax for develop only

- No sleeves, return in full roll (for 120)
- Only do C-41 for 120, no B/W or E-6 (I assume similar for 35)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5840 posts
347 upvotes
Toronto
TruE SkiLLS wrote:
Jan 16th, 2013 3:17 pm

Thanks for the update.

Last time I developed 35mm C-41, I was returned a full roll.
Sleeves cost money, so it's clear that they're cutting down to save costs such as turning on the machine on Monday/Thursday.
M-e-X-x wrote:
Nov 27th, 2011 7:22 am
Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Nov 8, 2005
437 posts
3 upvotes
TruE SkiLLS wrote:
Jan 16th, 2013 3:17 pm

Uh oh, so I guess they won't take my Ilford HP5 B&W 120 film at there then. Thanks anyways!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5017 posts
539 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
ahson wrote:
Jan 16th, 2013 5:41 pm
Uh oh, so I guess they won't take my Ilford HP5 B&W 120 film at there then. Thanks anyways!
Conventional B&W, as well as E-6, is only done at a few pro labs, mostly downtown, such as www.torontoimageworks.com

Ilford claims they will not discontinue any of their films, so you should be able to shoot XP-2, their 400 speed C-41 B&W film, and have it developed at PacMall.

Packard