Art and Photography

Can Anyone Breakdown Film Developing in the GTA?

• Last Updated:
  • May 24th, 2017 4:15 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2007
1501 posts
59 upvotes
Brampton
Dont go shoppers for B&W, i got charge $25 + tax for 36 exp with prints and index print and CD. compare to $12 for colour.

i find TIW do B&W for $8, no scanning. if you have 36 roll, paying for scanning can easily pay off a nice scanner. $6.6 to scan at TIW @ 4BASE x 36 = $237 < you can buy a refurb Epson V600 for only $145

i find B&W processing hard to find in up town, my choice are limited to Pacific mall, Shoppers/Fuji and walmart, they only do C-41; blacks charge $7.99 for B&W which they outsource, so might as well bring it to the pro lab like TIW.
FS: Continental-Barum Bravuris 2 - 1x 255/35/18
I don't worship lenses, nor do I see the 3 primes as a "trinity"
there is only one Holy Trinity and they certainly aren't lenses
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3199 posts
289 upvotes
Toronto
mk5gti wrote:
Jun 21st, 2013 12:13 pm
Dont go shoppers for B&W, i got charge $25 + tax for 36 exp with prints and index print and CD. compare to $12 for colour.

i find TIW do B&W for $8, no scanning. if you have 36 roll, paying for scanning can easily pay off a nice scanner. $6.6 to scan at TIW @ 4BASE x 36 = $237 < you can buy a refurb Epson V600 for only $145

i find B&W processing hard to find in up town, my choice are limited to Pacific mall, Shoppers/Fuji and walmart, they only do C-41; blacks charge $7.99 for B&W which they outsource, so might as well bring it to the pro lab like TIW.

I was going to comment that using a consumer lab for B&W is going to be a losing proposition. Best to find a friend to do it for you. Good scanning doesn't come cheap, either... the quality you can get at home, even from a flatbed scanner, is superior, but it also takes time to do it right.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3199 posts
289 upvotes
Toronto
super_paws wrote:
Jun 12th, 2013 7:07 pm
Anyone try David Nardi from APUG?

http://www.e6it.ca/

Prices seem decent.
Impressive set of services -- and he's not far away from me. I should start hanging out at APUG more often (gave up on that site a while back, I used to post a lot there...) Time to load up the ol' Rolleiflex.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2005
1845 posts
19 upvotes
So I went 3 for 3 last week looking for someone to develop my b&w film. Went to walmart first which wanted to charge me about $30 for it, then went to shoppers drug mart near me who said they don't even do film developing, then went to Pacific Mall to have the guy tell right in my face that he doesn't do b&w, only colour. So, I ended up going to the lomography store downtown on queen st and left it with them for $12 developing and scanning on a CD, I'll have to wait till next week to see how it turns out.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5010 posts
533 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
xaltair wrote:
Jun 28th, 2013 10:09 am
So I went 3 for 3 last week looking for someone to develop my b&w film. Went to walmart first which wanted to charge me about $30 for it, then went to shoppers drug mart near me who said they don't even do film developing, then went to Pacific Mall to have the guy tell right in my face that he doesn't do b&w, only colour. So, I ended up going to the lomography store downtown on queen st and left it with them for $12 developing and scanning on a CD, I'll have to wait till next week to see how it turns out.
The PacMall place is a small C-41 based minilab, not traditional B&W.

The LOMO price is OK, let us know how good their work is.

Frankly, you can develop a B&W film in 20 minutes, for $.50, so it's a skill worth having.

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Nov 24, 2009
13 posts
14 upvotes
Malton
Quick question for those of you how went to SDM for your processing, what was the resolution of the photos on the CD? Average file size?

Thanks...
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2333 posts
343 upvotes
So I just realized PacMall shop is now called DnP, part of FotoSource (merkle, japan camera) and they have a second location at First Markham Place which is closer to myself and 50% less chance of death while walking through the parking lot. I believe they send their film to Pac Mall anyways as they don't develop on site at FMP.

for $3.40 develop only can't complain, other than ghetto plastic bag to hold the processed film....

also in the news, LOMO is closing! http://www.blogto.com/deadpool/2013/08/ ... _deadpool/
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2005
1845 posts
19 upvotes
Yup lomo is closed as of mid august so there goes that shop, I always wondered how they stayed in business and paid the rent on Queen st, since every time I went to the store there were no customers inside. The pac mall shop charged me $8 for developing and putting the photos on the cd, although one film only about half the photos came out, but that's probably cause of the camera I'm using.
Jul 17, 2005
159 posts
3 upvotes
Does SDM do developing + scan only? I don't need the prints right away. Also, do they cut it per frame? I have a long strip spanning multiple frames that I don't want cut
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5010 posts
533 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Blitzzz wrote:
Oct 16th, 2013 1:26 pm
Does SDM do developing + scan only? I don't need the prints right away. Also, do they cut it per frame? I have a long strip spanning multiple frames that I don't want cut
If you have a Shoppers with a minilab you can give them instructions not to cut. If they send it out, you can't be sure of your instructions being followed.I would go somewhere with a lab on site, like PacMall or Toronto Image Works.

Packard
Jul 17, 2005
159 posts
3 upvotes
jayt90 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2013 11:46 am
If you have a Shoppers with a minilab you can give them instructions not to cut. If they send it out, you can't be sure of your instructions being followed.I would go somewhere with a lab on site, like PacMall or Toronto Image Works.
Thanks, my local SDM ships out to fuji so I guess I'll check out Downtown Camera during lunch one day.

I think someone asked before but where are some cheap places to get film nowadays?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5010 posts
533 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Blitzzz wrote:
Oct 17th, 2013 1:50 pm
Thanks, my local SDM ships out to fuji so I guess I'll check out Downtown Camera during lunch one day.

I think someone asked before but where are some cheap places to get film nowadays?
I order from B&H or Freestyle.
B&H 3 day shipping is phenomenal, and not expensive.

Packard
Jul 1, 2003
394 posts
8 upvotes
Update about Walmart, they are now charging 85 cents per print, but no charge for developing C41. My roll of 24 prints done at Morningside/Milner location for 1hr service came to about $20 I was so surprised. Then I went to the STC Walmart and was told the same thing 85 cents per print.

So, yeah, Walmart is super expensive now.
Jul 17, 2005
159 posts
3 upvotes
jayt90 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2013 4:47 pm
I order from B&H or Freestyle.
B&H 3 day shipping is phenomenal, and not expensive.
OK cool. Seems like its slim pickings here in Toronto.

I also dropped by blacks underneath TD center downtown and they told me they still have a lab on location. I think it was $10 develop + $5 for cd
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel