Art and Photography

Can Anyone Breakdown Film Developing in the GTA?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2017 7:35 am
Jan 11, 2007
194 posts
3 upvotes
flyguy3bua wrote:
Oct 17th, 2013 4:53 pm
Update about Walmart, they are now charging 85 cents per print, but no charge for developing C41. My roll of 24 prints done at Morningside/Milner location for 1hr service came to about $20 I was so surprised. Then I went to the STC Walmart and was told the same thing 85 cents per print.

So, yeah, Walmart is super expensive now.
No more developing-only option? Went a few months ago and was charged $5+tax for development only.
Oct 1, 2012
10 posts
1 upvote
RICHMOND HILL
jayt90 wrote:
Oct 17th, 2013 11:46 am
If you have a Shoppers with a minilab you can give them instructions not to cut. If they send it out, you can't be sure of your instructions being followed.I would go somewhere with a lab on site, like PacMall or Toronto Image Works.
I have used DnP at Pac Mall but as another poster pointed out, they don't take very good care of the negatives so the first frame was creased and there may be some dust and scratches on them. Therefore, I have been taking my rolls to the SDM at Yonge at King which has the lab onsite. As the OP stated at the beginning of this thread, the cost is only $2.99 for developing and scanning to a CD. Therefore, this is the cheapest anywhere. Also, I can confirm you can instruct them to not cut the negatives. My only issue I have is the colours seem a little washed out even when using new Fuji Superia 400 film. Of course this is easily fixed with PP but the same film processed at DnP seem to have more saturated colours which is a characteristic of Fuji film and better contrast and did not require any PP. Has anyone else noticed any issues with film processed at the SDM at Yonge and King?

I have one roll of film that I still haven't developed yet so I think I will try DnP again.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
2957 posts
255 upvotes
lumer88 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2013 12:11 pm
I have used DnP at Pac Mall but as another poster pointed out, they don't take very good care of the negatives so the first frame was creased and there may be some dust and scratches on them. Therefore, I have been taking my rolls to the SDM at Yonge at King which has the lab onsite. As the OP stated at the beginning of this thread, the cost is only $2.99 for developing and scanning to a CD. Therefore, this is the cheapest anywhere. Also, I can confirm you can instruct them to not cut the negatives. My only issue I have is the colours seem a little washed out even when using new Fuji Superia 400 film. Of course this is easily fixed with PP but the same film processed at DnP seem to have more saturated colours which is a characteristic of Fuji film and better contrast and did not require any PP. Has anyone else noticed any issues with film processed at the SDM at Yonge and King?

I have one roll of film that I still haven't developed yet so I think I will try DnP again.
There is a separate art in itself when it comes to scanning. The lab at SDM does not just scan them, they're corrected as well. If you want them as pure as possible, ask for "no adjustments". My problem has been matching the colour and contrast when scanning at home. Only real way to match scans properly really is to shoot slide film.
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
Oct 1, 2012
10 posts
1 upvote
RICHMOND HILL
neltron3030 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2013 1:14 pm
There is a separate art in itself when it comes to scanning. The lab at SDM does not just scan them, they're corrected as well. If you want them as pure as possible, ask for "no adjustments". My problem has been matching the colour and contrast when scanning at home. Only real way to match scans properly really is to shoot slide film.
Hmm. I will ask them next time what sort of "adjustments" they can do. I re-scanned my film using a Canon Canoscan 8900 using auto colour correction and they turned out better than the scans by SDM. Perhaps they used "no adjustments" on my batch of 3 rolls and in my case I would have wanted it.
Apr 25, 2014
2 posts
Toronto, ON
Anyone looking to get film processed. Any type of film, should look up david@davidnardi.com E6t He is in Toronto. Then there is Crossways on Dundas, but personally speaking you are at the mercy of the lab. David Nardi is an individual in Toronto, and does all types of film. Hope this helps.
Jun 6, 2007
546 posts
29 upvotes
does shoppers still developed c41 film on site at younge and king or ave. and eg?
Oct 1, 2012
10 posts
1 upvote
RICHMOND HILL
samberkun wrote:
Jun 5th, 2014 1:05 am
does shoppers still developed c41 film on site at younge and king or ave. and eg?
Yes, Shoppers at Yonge and King still process on site. I just had 2 rolls developed there last week.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
1974 posts
207 upvotes
Wow - the film era faded fast!

Is there still anywhere in the GTA to buy single rolls of regular 35mm film at a reasonable price?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3260 posts
308 upvotes
Toronto
leaves wrote:
Jul 13th, 2014 1:59 pm

Is there still anywhere in the GTA to buy single rolls of regular 35mm film at a reasonable price?
I don't know about "reasonable price" but the camera stores on Queen Street should be able to sell you single 35mm rolls of whatever's on the market these days. Downtown Camera, Henry's, Vistek, etc.
Oct 1, 2012
10 posts
1 upvote
RICHMOND HILL
leaves wrote:
Jul 13th, 2014 1:59 pm

Some of the Shoppers still carry film in single rolls and 3 packs. They carry Fuji Superia and EasyPix which is their house brand. I read somewhere that EasyPix is actually rebranded Fuji Superia. A few months ago I bought some Fuji Superia 3 packs for around $12 on sale. That is probably the best price you can find in a retail store in the GTA. Other places where you can buy film besides Henry's etc., are some of the larger Walmarts and Pacific Mall.
Dec 26, 2010
433 posts
141 upvotes
It's a shame about DnP at Pacific Mall as I live right down the street from there. Is SDM at King and Yonge the best bet for colour? I bought a 5-pack of Portra 400 from eBay, and want to get into shooting film. If Yonge and King doesn't work out, I think I will ship my film to Korea for processing and scanning.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
2957 posts
255 upvotes
hjkimbrian wrote:
Sep 8th, 2014 11:12 pm
It's a shame about DnP at Pacific Mall as I live right down the street from there. Is SDM at King and Yonge the best bet for colour? I bought a 5-pack of Portra 400 from eBay, and want to get into shooting film. If Yonge and King doesn't work out, I think I will ship my film to Korea for processing and scanning.
Only do C41 at SDM Yonge and King.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
1974 posts
207 upvotes
FTR, Black's prepaid processing 35mm film is finally back in stock after being absent all summer long.

One change - they have stopped the pretense of printing their own branding on the Fujifilm they have always used, and now have a simple label indicating the included processing on the box and cartridge.

$17.99/24.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
2957 posts
255 upvotes
demi2004 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2014 1:13 am
What's the best/cheapest place in Toronto for Medium format film developing + scans?
Places I've contacted got out of it. :(
SDM at Yonge and King does 120 C-41 - maybe even 220 actually (no scans). Otherwise I think Image Works is about $5/roll for C-41, development only.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)