Art and Photography

Can Anyone Breakdown Film Developing in the GTA?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2017 7:35 am
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3228 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
neltron3030 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2014 8:45 am
SDM at Yonge and King does 120 C-41 - maybe even 220 actually (no scans). Otherwise I think Image Works is about $5/roll for C-41, development only.
Image Works does a great job, but quality control at the SDM can be hit-and-miss (be prepared for scratches and smudges).

Unfortunately, we recently lost (hopefully temporarily) another option, as the E6It fellow is suspending service (a victim of his own success).
Jul 3, 2013
292 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
This is an old thread but I need to ask a question.
I'm in mississauga and so far my only options seem to be Henry's or Blacks. Has anyone done any developing and scanning and could comment on quality?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2450 posts
406 upvotes
dukati wrote:
May 26th, 2015 4:39 pm
This is an old thread but I need to ask a question.
I'm in mississauga and so far my only options seem to be Henry's or Blacks. Has anyone done any developing and scanning and could comment on quality?
Black's now sends out all film processing to a third party. Quality is fine but takes pretty long....and is really expensive. I think all the wet lab locations have converted to dry labs already, not sure if their superstore locations do wet.
Jul 3, 2013
292 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
bhrm wrote:
May 27th, 2015 9:46 am
Black's now sends out all film processing to a third party. Quality is fine but takes pretty long....and is really expensive. I think all the wet lab locations have converted to dry labs already, not sure if their superstore locations do wet.
That kinda sucks. I guess I'll have to go for henrys but I will go in to blacks to see what they can do. The guy told me it was about $7-8 to develop and another 7-8 for a cd. Didn't ask what size they scan at though. If they can do 3000px that's reasonably good for me.

So all and all to shoot film, you're looking at $20-30 to shoot a roll depending on the film and developing it.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2450 posts
406 upvotes
dukati wrote:
May 27th, 2015 2:10 pm
That kinda sucks. I guess I'll have to go for henrys but I will go in to blacks to see what they can do. The guy told me it was about $7-8 to develop and another 7-8 for a cd. Didn't ask what size they scan at though. If they can do 3000px that's reasonably good for me.

So all and all to shoot film, you're looking at $20-30 to shoot a roll depending on the film and developing it.
Henry's sends it out as well, they do not provide any lab services.

The cheap way is to develop the roll and scan it yourself with a $80-$150 scanner (Epson or Canon), that's what i do. However roll scanners provide the sharpest results, plus scanning at home is extremely time consuming.
Nov 7, 2006
3 posts
Brampton
I develop my own b&w 35mm but I do use Downtown Camera for my C41 colour development to negatives, and then scan them myself on an Epson V550. DC are pretty reasonable ($5/$6 per roll) plus a loyalty card, and they do it on site. You can also buy from a fairly extensive selection of films while you're in there.
Sep 9, 2007
6 posts
Toronto
JHW wrote:
Oct 14th, 2012 9:49 pm
My experience with SDM has not been good -- too many scratches on the film. I can't imagine that the rollers on their machines are cleaned too often.
Can anyone else confirm this on negatives developed at SDM Yonge and King. (Check with a loupe/light table) I've done a couple of rolls there years ago and the same leather grain pattern appeared on all of the rolls. After a few tries, all done months to a year apart, I just stopped going entirely.

Just dusted off my film camera recently, so I might take up some of the recommendations here and try some of the other places. You really do get what you pay for lol
I shoot with a PENTAX and I'm dangerous.
Dec 13, 2003
18 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Word of caution for DNP at First Markham Place location. They outsource their b/w film processing to DNP at Pacific Mall. Please read below.

I dropped off the film a few weeks back and guy behind the counter told me it would take a week as they did not do in-house processing for b/w. They sent it away to a sister location at Pacific Mall. I was out of the country and returned to pick up today. To my shock and horror, 3/4 of the roll was effectively washed off. The owner of the business responded by saying I had a shutter problem. There was no way it was a camera body issue since I've taken about 15 rolls of film since then, developed, scanned without any issues. The guy behind the counter spoke in cantonese to the owner explaining that it looked like the film was either washed for too long or the water was too warm. When he spoke to me in English, he just said that it had to be a shutter problem.

The fellow at the counter kept saying that they did not have responsibility since they did not develop it. I asked for my money back ($7.90) and they guy gave me a card to the Pacific Mall location and asked me to deal with them. Ummm, I gave you the money not your outsourced service provider.

I wouldn't recommend this shop to anybody for film development or their sister location at Pacific Mall. They will not take responsibility for your property but will gladly take your money.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
2938 posts
249 upvotes
westbeach wrote:
Apr 27th, 2016 3:56 pm
Word of caution for DNP at First Markham Place location. They outsource their b/w film processing to DNP at Pacific Mall. Please read below.

I dropped off the film a few weeks back and guy behind the counter told me it would take a week as they did not do in-house processing for b/w. They sent it away to a sister location at Pacific Mall. I was out of the country and returned to pick up today. To my shock and horror, 3/4 of the roll was effectively washed off. The owner of the business responded by saying I had a shutter problem. There was no way it was a camera body issue since I've taken about 15 rolls of film since then, developed, scanned without any issues. The guy behind the counter spoke in cantonese to the owner explaining that it looked like the film was either washed for too long or the water was too warm. When he spoke to me in English, he just said that it had to be a shutter problem.

The fellow at the counter kept saying that they did not have responsibility since they did not develop it. I asked for my money back ($7.90) and they guy gave me a card to the Pacific Mall location and asked me to deal with them. Ummm, I gave you the money not your outsourced service provider.

I wouldn't recommend this shop to anybody for film development or their sister location at Pacific Mall. They will not take responsibility for your property but will gladly take your money.
What did your negatives look like? If you have scans, we can probably diagnose what went wrong and who is at fault.
Neil Ta, Epic Wedding Photographer. My Instagram
Dec 13, 2003
18 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
neltron3030 wrote:
Apr 27th, 2016 6:08 pm
What did your negatives look like? If you have scans, we can probably diagnose what went wrong and who is at fault.
There was a pattern to the available frames. I would get one usable frame bracketed by two frames cut off diagonally. This happened every 4 or 5 frames with clear blanks in between. I rolled the film up to a circumference as if it would be on a reel and sure enough, the exposed frames along with the cut off frames lined up. So imagine frames 1 and 3 cut off and 2 being perfect. Then frames 4-10 would be clear, 11, 13 would be cut off and 12 being perfect. (Cut off meaning only half the frame would be available).

The boss tried telling his worker in that it was a shutter issue and told him to tell me that if the frame number showed up then it's definitely a shutter issue. Well, for all the missing frames, all the frame numbers were washed off. The frames that remained had the frame numbers still on it.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1625 posts
376 upvotes
North York
FotoPete wrote:
Aug 21st, 2015 8:25 am
Can anyone else confirm this on negatives developed at SDM Yonge and King. (Check with a loupe/light table) I've done a couple of rolls there years ago and the same leather grain pattern appeared on all of the rolls. After a few tries, all done months to a year apart, I just stopped going entirely.

Just dusted off my film camera recently, so I might take up some of the recommendations here and try some of the other places. You really do get what you pay for lol
Aden or Downtown Camera
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3228 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
westbeach wrote:
Apr 28th, 2016 1:05 am
The boss tried telling his worker in that it was a shutter issue and told him to tell me that if the frame number showed up then it's definitely a shutter issue. Well, for all the missing frames, all the frame numbers were washed off. The frames that remained had the frame numbers still on it.
Frame numbers / film codes along the edges of the film are "pre-exposed" at the factory. If they are missing and the film is nice and clear, it means the film was fixed (or bleach-fixed) before development. In your case, this would mean that those areas did not develop successfully but did become fixed.

When you say "cut off", could you describe the cut off area? Is it a sharp transition from image to blank or more of a fuzzy edge where the image peters out?
Dec 13, 2003
18 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
the image cuts off. Imagine a trapezoid
________
/ | | \
/__|____|__\

Middle frame is fine, I get partial frame on either side and the film is clear for about 5-6 frames until it repeats.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3228 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
westbeach wrote:
Apr 28th, 2016 11:37 am
Middle frame is fine, I get partial frame on either side and the film is clear for about 5-6 frames until it repeats.
Right. But is the "cut-off" very sharp or is it more like a fuzzy edge? And in the clear area, there's absolutely nothing visible on the film (no frame markings, no edge codes, etc.)?
Dec 13, 2003
18 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
JHW wrote:
Apr 28th, 2016 1:00 pm
Right. But is the "cut-off" very sharp or is it more like a fuzzy edge? And in the clear area, there's absolutely nothing visible on the film (no frame markings, no edge codes, etc.)?
I'll have to check out the edge when I get home. if you mean fuzzy edge like a fall off, from what I recall no. It's not sharp like a straight line either. There are no frame markings or edge codes except the available frames. Those had the frame markings.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)