Fashion & Apparel

Can anyone please tell me about "Canada weather gear" jackets ? (please answer)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2015 11:45 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 27, 2010
79 posts
2 upvotes
Windsor

Can anyone please tell me about "Canada weather gear" jackets ? (please answer)

Hi there,

I recently bought this parka from international clothiers called "Canada weather gear". I specifically asked them for their warmest jacket, and this is what they offered me. I admit that I dont shop much and the woman who was helping me actually said something like these being as good as "Canada goose" jackets, which is actually what I was looking for. So I got one of these weather gear jackets. I dont see any reviews at all for this brand, so I really would appreciate some insight.

My question is, are the weather gear jackets good for the kind of weather they have in saskatchewan ? I am going to have to go there soon, and I dont want to end up with hypothermia or frostbite. Do these jackets actually keep you warm in -38 degrees weather ? If not, what can I do about this jacket that I have now ? I think international clothiers has a no refund policy, so might there be any way to get them to take the jacket back if it obviously doesnt do what is was designed to ?
21 replies
Jan 23, 2012
53 posts
1 upvote
SCARBOROUGH
Best bet is to try the jacket outside right now. Either way, winter jackets keeps us warm because of the amount of 'downs' in the jackets. Canada Goose has a normal 625 fill down in theirs. Haven't really tried out my Canada Goose yet cause of the warm weather lately. Check the jacket, see the power of fill downs in there. Cause to tell you the truth, I always see this brand when I walk across International, because it has a very shady logo that says "Triple Goose" or something like that :facepalm:
Dec 26, 2007
579 posts
36 upvotes
Do a search for Super Triple Goose - I think it's been discussed somewhere in one of the CG threads.

I don't know if the company has a history or how long they've been around - maybe if you survive the elements you can write to them to help build their cred lol.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2009
1651 posts
302 upvotes
Markham
Canada Triple Weather Goose - I've seen these at International Clothiers

I have no idea what their down composition is, but what I do know, is that they do not use authentic coyote fur.
[OP]
Apr 27, 2010
79 posts
2 upvotes
Windsor
ThaChingster wrote:
Jan 31st, 2012 9:48 pm
Canada Triple Weather Goose - I've seen these at International Clothiers

I have no idea what their down composition is, but what I do know, is that they do not use authentic coyote fur.

Well, there is no fur lining to the hood anyway, so that is one thing. I called up their main branch the other day, and he told me that the down to feather ratio is 50:50. I just hope that down is goose down. In any case, even if the jacket does do an OK job of keeping me warm, I would personally never buy from international clothiers. I think they have a very unreasonable policy of not giving refunds even if the product does not stand up to its claims. Though I think in the case of this jacket, the sales people were very careful to only use anectodal evidence and no solid facts to market this jacket to me. I guess in future, I will have learned something when it comes to buying these jackets.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4910 posts
753 upvotes
I have seen Triple Super Goose, Super Fat Goose, Triple Fat Goose, Triple Weather Goose... are they all the same?
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4718 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
Martin_11 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2012 1:37 pm
I called up their main branch the other day, and he told me that the down to feather ratio is 50:50.
50:50 down to feather ratio? That's horrible.
I thought 80:20 was the minimum for a jacket to be considered a down jacket in Canada unless I read it wrong.
[OP]
Apr 27, 2010
79 posts
2 upvotes
Windsor
Gee wrote:
Feb 1st, 2012 11:02 pm
The secret to keeping warm is layers. Wear multiple layers of clothing.
This is true, and I guess I will have to resort to this during cold snaps out west. But I do have to say that after what other posters are saying, that I resent how the international clothiers people told me their jackets were comparable to Canada goose and how they claimed the jackets would keep me warm in extreme cold. If they had that in writing, I think someone would have taken them to court for it, and had I taken their word for it, there might have been some serious consequences for me.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4910 posts
753 upvotes
That's them trying to make a sale. Would they tell you the truth if the truth was that they are not a quality jacket? ;)
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4718 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
I hope OP didn't spend more than say $40-50 at most for the jacket.

Why not spend a bit more and buy a much better quality jacket from say MEC? They have a bunch of their jackets at great clearance pricing such as the Tremblant with 575 fill power and 90:10 down ratio for only $75. I have one that I bought a year ago and it does a great job for me. I usually just wear a shirt for the winter and sometimes add a sweater if I know I'm going to go outside for a longer period of time and it keeps me very warm.
Jan 28, 2007
194 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
yeah, hopefully OP didn't pay too much for it, although a few years back i picked up an el cheapo esprit down jacket for only $60. it's 50/50, down and duck feathers and the shell is a heavier material so it blocks the wind. anytime you get a combo of half duck feathers means it will not be super light but it can still be quite warm. I've worn the espirt on those -35 windchill days. So OP, the canada weather gear jacket might be warm enough, just not as lightweight as true down filled coats. bring a couple thin wool sweaters for layering if needed. thin ski underlayers also work well in cold weather.
Aug 12, 2008
28 posts
2 upvotes
Martin_11 wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2012 12:42 am
This is true, and I guess I will have to resort to this during cold snaps out west. But I do have to say that after what other posters are saying, that I resent how the international clothiers people told me their jackets were comparable to Canada goose and how they claimed the jackets would keep me warm in extreme cold. If they had that in writing, I think someone would have taken them to court for it, and had I taken their word for it, there might have been some serious consequences for me.

Hey Martin,

I just stumbled onto this thread and even though I'm a bit late, heres my experience with the CWG jackets in case anyone has questions in the future.

Backstory - I've had a CG chilliwack for a few years now and absolutely love it in the cold. I bought the CWG mainly to see how this jacket performs
and because I was looking for something thinner/lighter for the days I commute on the TTC or the days when its not quite cold enough to wear the CG.
(Yes, I own a CG but I don't douche it up indoors/ in warm weather, I walk ~1.5k to my closest TTC stop to catch the bus and with windchill it gets extremely cold)

...Anyways, I bought mine for ~90 from an international clothiers in North York (closed now) and after 3 months with it, I have to say that
it works fine as a 'beater jacket' down to -5 and its fine for keeping the wind out most days.

Compared to the CG Chilliwack which it knocks off, this jacket is absolutely abysmal in any/all respects.
While its been quite warm in Toronto this year, the first day it went below -5 I instantly felt the cold penetrating the jacket (even with 2 layers underneath).
The CG is significantly warmer, better made, and the fur actually does something to keep my ears warm. Also, with regular wear the jacket has also gotten quite
thin which leaves me questioning how much longer the jacket will actually last...

The one thing that actually pisses me off about this jacket is the FAKE POCKET on the left arm! It's literally just a functional zipper that goes nowhere...

Summary

Pros:
- Cheap (if you find it on sale)
- Works (up to a certain extent)
- Warmer than a peacoat
- Can keep you dry in light rain/slush
- Lots of pockets for storage
- Looks like a canada goose (if thats what you want)

Cons:
- Smells terrible
- Fake fur is annoying, thin, gets in your mouth and does absolutely NOTHING!
- Fake pocket
- Thin, gets thinner with wear and leaks feathers (very irritating when it pricks you)
- Fit is terrible (sleeve cuffs are also terrible)
- Obvious knockoff

Anyways, thats my tiny review. I had wanted to do a full review but its just not worth the time at this point :razz:
× < >