Parenting & Family

Can anyone recommend a travel insurance plan that will cover pregnancy complications?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2018 1:01 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 10, 2011
412 posts
186 upvotes

Can anyone recommend a travel insurance plan that will cover pregnancy complications?

Long story...

In August 2015, I won a round-trip flight for two anywhere West Jet flies. I found out I was pregnant shortly after (September 2015).

Since the flight had a one year expiry, and I do not want to travel with a new born, I booked the trip to Hawaii (when I was 5 weeks pregnant) for January-February 2016, making me 23 weeks pregnant at the time of trip (which is a perfectly safe time to fly).

Last week, at 19 weeks pregnant, I was diagnosed with a low-lying placenta. Asked my doctor if I am still okay to go on my trip and she said yes. But I've been reading a lot on-line, and while some women with my condition have reported no problems flying, some have said that pressure from being in the air has caused bleeding and other complications...

I was obviously planning on getting travel insurance anyways, but now with the recent complication, it's very important that I do. However, all the plans I've started looking at don't cover any emergencies that have to do with pregnancy.

Can anyone recommend a travel insurance plan that will cover anything pregnancy-related? Cost really isn't an issue...

I would hate to have to cancel this trip, although it's looking like it may be a possibility. I would forfeit the flight, but I didn't pay for it anyways so no loss there. I think I have 2 more weeks before I can cancel my hotel reservation in Hawaii. Hotel room in Vancouver during 16 hour layover on the way there is non-refundable, but that's only a couple hundred bucks.

Any recommendations/advice would be really appreciated!

This was supposed to be a trip of a lifetime before I become a mother for the first time...now I am feeling very anxious/stressed about everything to do with this trip!!
27 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2397 posts
1002 upvotes
I can't think of any policy that would cover pre existing conditions. As you have already had an issue arise during pregnancy I think any complication would be considered pre-existing. And your talking about a very long flight. What would you do if you started bleeding while flying over the ocean? Honestly I would contact westjet about postponing. Your health and the health of your baby isn't worth a trip.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5189 posts
817 upvotes
:arrowu: I agree. I took a look at our corporate policy, which allows for unlimited length trips as long as we are with our employer, and they have very specific wording that essentially allows Blue Cross out of any expenses related to pregnancy. The last major story from Hawaii was a woman who gave birth prematurely and had a $1,000,000 hospital bill.

We took our babymoon at 16 weeks, where a premature birth will not result in a live birth.

Here's the specific exclusion if you care to examine them in detail:
Any treatment due to:
• a medical Emergency that is a result of pregnancy
or childbirth complications, including any
treatment for the newborn, if a medical Emergency
occurs after the 32nd week of gestation.
• the deliberate inducement of a miscarriage.
• the Covered Person’s pregnancy, if at any time
during their medical history indicated a pregnancy
that is at high risk for medical complications or
there is the risk of a premature birth.
↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A, START

There are no apostrophes in plurals! "I have 1000 posts" = correct. "I have 1000 post's" = incorrect!
Could've, would've, should've. It's simple English, people!
Voila: French, meaning "There it is!" or "Look!" Viola: A medium-sized stringed instrument Wala: An island of Vanuatu.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2005
1290 posts
184 upvotes
Winnipeg
Even if you could get travel insurance, i would still change flights as it is not worth the risk to your unborn child.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7293 posts
797 upvotes
GTA
The other posters are correct. Even if you COULD find a policy that covered pregnancy complications, it wouldn't cover your condition as it is pre-existing.

Had you booked before you knew you were pregnant and had travel insurance at the time you booked, many would cover you for cancellation now if your doctor said you had to cancel, but at this point you won't find an insurer that will cover that risk.

Finally, as mother of a preemie, don't take the risk. Things in a normal pregnancy can change in a split second. With known complications, a vacation isn't worth it. If something happens, you need to be able to get immediate medical attention.

Having said that, I hope the rest of your pregnancy is smooth and uneventful (and odds are good it will be), but I was in the hospital for an extended time prior to my preemie's birth and saw so many other people admitted during my time there due to pregnancy complications, that I know well how quickly things can change and what a massive difference immediate medical help can make - both in preventing or delaying pre-term birth and providing life saving medical care to the baby if prevention is not possible.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Aug 16, 2011
839 posts
244 upvotes
Kitchener
I would trust your doctor, low lying placentas aren't uncommon and they usually move up as your uterus continues to expand. Your doctor will know how low lying it is (whether it's a true previa, which could be dangerous) or whether it's just lower then "normal".
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16472 posts
2135 upvotes
Personally I would skip the trip - you won't enjoy Hawaii if you do indeed have a complicated pregnancy. Out-of-province and US medical bills can lead to bankruptcy.

Hawaii isn't going anywhere, so you'll always have the opportunity to go after you give birth.
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1372 upvotes
Toronto
I'd also skip the trip and doubt you'd find someone who would cover you now, but you could always ask WestJet if they would extend your ability to take that flight ... can't hurt to ask!
May 29, 2012
427 posts
100 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Just skip the trip there are too many things going against you.
In Nov 2014 this family went to the US and had a baby, travel insurance denied them and they are stuck with $900k in medical bills. Article

My wife wanted to fly to Europe with her mother to visit family and I spent a lot of time calling around for insurance for her, she was pregnant also.
Most place will not cover 8 weeks before or after due date for having a baby. I found one that would do 6 weeks before or after for having a baby, so it depends on how pregnant you would be while on the trip.

Another option that my wife found out from her family is that she would be able to purchase coverage in the country of destination for herself and baby (Poland) and it was affordable but she was a bit worried regarding the level of health care she would receive.

in the end she decided against going and is now going in the spring instead, so it is doable but with the added complication of a pre-existing condition I would recommend against it.
Jun 23, 2006
313 posts
96 upvotes
We took our 3 month old to Hawaii. It was great because at that age they're still just mostly sleeping and feeding so it meshed quite well with lazily lounging around by the pool. Ah, to heck with the extra baby weight and stretch marks!
Nov 4, 2007
83 posts
3 upvotes
My wife and I are in a similar situation where she will be 7 months pregnant at the time of a planned March Break trip. I looked into policies and also consulted with our doctor on the issue. From our doctor's past patient experience she said that even if we were to find a policy that covers the pre-existing pregnancy condition, it will not cover the baby as the baby is not considered an insurable person until after birth.
[OP]
Apr 10, 2011
412 posts
186 upvotes
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your comments and concerns.

I ended up finding a travel insurance company that will cover anything pregnancy-related, even with my low lying placenta, as long as my condition is stable for the 7 days leading up to the trip. So I've decided I will still go (unless I start bleeding within those 7 days...)

Please don't burn me at the stake for making this decision. I totally respect your opinions, but like starrlamia said, low-lying placenta's are very common and I trust my doctor's opinion more than anything. I've also consulted with three other nurse practitioners at the Community Health Care Clinic that my Mom works at, who all said I will be fine.

If anyone would like the name and details of the insurance company I ended up with, feel free to PM me.

Thanks again.
Feb 7, 2010
88 posts
21 upvotes
I had complete placenta previa (placenta covers cervix fully) and also researched a lot about it during the time and like another poster previously said - sometimes low lying placenta ends up moving up as uterus grows specially in later pregnancy. Hopefully that's the case with you as well. Don't worry too much and just avoid strenuous activity and take it easy while there.
Aug 16, 2011
839 posts
244 upvotes
Kitchener
Good call OP, advice from medical professionals trumps random forum users, Have fun on your vacation!
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2004
1054 posts
63 upvotes
Honestly ask your OB. medical insurance is one thing. overall wellbeing is another.