Parenting & Family

Can anyone recommend a travel insurance plan that will cover pregnancy complications?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2018 1:01 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 10, 2011
412 posts
186 upvotes
Just wanted to update everyone to say I'm back from my trip and everything went fine. No bleeding, thank god.

I think the danger with flying is when you have placenta previa, where your placenta completely covers your cervix. There is no risk/much less of a risk with a low-lying placenta.

Just wanted to share my personal experience in case anyone in a similar situation wants advice.

Of course, always consult with/trust your doctor's opinion. I would not have flown had my doctor not said I was okay to.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4462 posts
1161 upvotes
Winnipeg
You rolled the dice and won..but you still wouldn't have been covered with insurance regardless what doctor said
Jul 5, 2004
23214 posts
2802 upvotes
airmail wrote:
Feb 8th, 2016 1:28 am
You rolled the dice and won..but you still wouldn't have been covered with insurance regardless what doctor said
The OP consulted with her insurance company and the insurance company said she was covered...
[OP]
Apr 10, 2011
412 posts
186 upvotes
airmail wrote:
Feb 8th, 2016 1:28 am
If you read my second post -- I did find an insurance company that covered me as long as I was stable for the 7 days leading up to the trip. I wouldn't have travelled without insurance.
Jan 1, 2012
407 posts
75 upvotes
Sainte-Therese
rf134a wrote:
Jan 5th, 2016 5:50 pm
:arrowu: I agree. I took a look at our corporate policy, which allows for unlimited length trips as long as we are with our employer, and they have very specific wording that essentially allows Blue Cross out of any expenses related to pregnancy. The last major story from Hawaii was a woman who gave birth prematurely and had a $1,000,000 hospital bill.

We took our babymoon at 16 weeks, where a premature birth will not result in a live birth.

Here's the specific exclusion if you care to examine them in detail:
This is from the Blue Cross Policy PDF
Sounds like they do cover for both Mother & Child in case of unexpected birth
Apr 20, 2009
161 posts
35 upvotes
This is not pregnancy related, but when I was considering travel with an injury that did not meet the stability requirements of my work's group travel insurance policy, and most other policies that were available for purchase, Manulife was the only one who had a specific underwriting team that was willing to sell me coverage. I presume they might have something for pregnancies as well. Wouldn't hurt to check with them.
[OP]
Apr 10, 2011
412 posts
186 upvotes
AlbertoV535999 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 7:03 pm
what is the name of the insurance company?
emeadie wrote:
Jan 27th, 2018 2:12 pm
@lemmiwinks Can you post the name of the insurance company you used? Thanks!!
The policy I got was through "Tugo" Insurance.

I called a broker @ AwayCare (her name is Denise -- 1-888-563-3122 x2201 ) and explained my situation. Then she looked around to see what she could do, and ended up getting me the policy through Tugo. (I paid $36 for the policy, plus another $15 to Denise @ AwayCare.... Guess she's a third-party broker??)

I'm not sure Tugo covers pre-existing conditions, per se... but they covered mine (low lying placenta). Maybe it was because it wasn't that serious and my doctor said I was okay to fly? I'm not sure. I would definitely call Denise and explain your situation and she can let you know. The only stipulation was that my condition had to be "stable" for the 7 days before the trip. So, if I had started bleeding within that time or had any complications, I would not have been covered.

Also, the policy only covered me and would not have covered my baby had I gone into labour on the trip. So that's also something to consider.

Hope that helps and you find what you're looking for!
Nov 6, 2018
1 posts
Hi i would like to know the name of your insurance company- I am in a similar situation right now, low lying placenta, 25 weeks pregnant and needing travel insurance for America holiday due in 6 days time. Thanks
lemmiwinks wrote:
Jan 7th, 2016 1:46 pm
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your comments and concerns.

I ended up finding a travel insurance company that will cover anything pregnancy-related, even with my low lying placenta, as long as my condition is stable for the 7 days leading up to the trip. So I've decided I will still go (unless I start bleeding within those 7 days...)

Please don't burn me at the stake for making this decision. I totally respect your opinions, but like starrlamia said, low-lying placenta's are very common and I trust my doctor's opinion more than anything. I've also consulted with three other nurse practitioners at the Community Health Care Clinic that my Mom works at, who all said I will be fine.

If anyone would like the name and details of the insurance company I ended up with, feel free to PM me.

Thanks again.
[OP]
Apr 10, 2011
412 posts
186 upvotes
AlisonDonnelly wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 9:48 am
Hi i would like to know the name of your insurance company- I am in a similar situation right now, low lying placenta, 25 weeks pregnant and needing travel insurance for America holiday due in 6 days time. Thanks
Hi Allison,

See the post above yours :)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
8769 posts
986 upvotes
Toronto
OP

This is a very simple decision. Many tougher decisions coming later in the child's life.

Is risking of your baby worth a free trip? 100% no.

Don't go, simple.