Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
3250 posts
61 upvotes
Mississauga

Can Bell win me back?

November 2002 - I move to Canada for the first time and Bell asks me to make a deposit for local phone service, because I've never been a customer of theirs. A bit steep for local phone service (I did not ask for long distance service, nor did I want it), but I needed a phone and so I had to do it. They told me that I would get it back in three years, which again, was pretty steep, but I figured, what the heck, play their little game. (Turns out later, I find that this information is completely incorrect - but that's a completely different can of worms).

December 2006 - I cancel my Bell service for good as the phone line at my current place is crap and Bell was unable to improve that after numerous requests. They tell me it will be a month or two until I can get a final bill, so I play their little waiting game.

March 2007 - I call Bell to tell them that I got my final bill, but they still haven't refunded my security deposit. They tell me they will look into it and get back to me.

May 2007 - after numerous attempts over the previous weeks, to try to get my money back, I still don't have any idea what's going on, and so, it seems, neither does Bell. I've been told that they refunded my deposit in November of 2002, that they never got a security deposit, and that they can't find my deposit. I never seem to get the same story, which is never a good sign.

I track down the number of the assistant to the president of residential services (long story) and call her. She tells me that I will get a call within 24 hours, which I do. This guy finally discovers that my security deposit was given to someone else (previous person with my old phone number). They ask me to offer proof that I ever sent them the money in the first place. I get a copy of the original money order, including the back which shows that Bell cashed it way back when. I fax this copy to him and he assures me that he will try to get the refund check expedited and will call me when he knows.

Fast forward to this week. I call to find out why they haven't sent my money and the contact I had, is off working on other projects for Bell, so I have to fax it to someone new, and they tell me it could be a few more weeks until I get the check.

Bell has had my money for four and a half years, and have been screwing me around for 4 months while I try to get a refund. I think I have been more than patient enough, and at what point to I have to get the media, or my local MP or even a lawyer involved?

The big question for Bell - is there a way to earn me back as a customer that they have screwed over so many times, and who had to go through so much trouble, just to get back money that is rightfully mine?

I know I've been far too patient, but enough is enough. I've asked for the president of residential services to call me back. If he does, then there is a chance for them someday. If not, then we'll have to see what happens.

Thanks for listening to my rant. And don't ever give Bell a security deposit. As much as this pains me to say, Rogers never asked for a security deposit.......
15 replies
Banned
May 26, 2007
326 posts
1)The media will not even care.While they have your money you have there phone.

2)Its not worth it to sue for $1000.After all said and done if you will maybe your get $50.

3)The mp's will not do anything.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9473 posts
2650 upvotes
summerfan wrote: 1)The media will not even care.While they have your money you have there phone.

2)Its not worth it to sue for $1000.After all said and done if you will maybe your get $50.

Sadly all of this is true. Especially #3. If you did ask and MP they will want to know what's in it for them?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
3250 posts
61 upvotes
Mississauga
summerfan wrote: 1)The media will not even care.While they have your money you have there phone.
This was for home phone. I have nothing of theirs.
I don't want to sue, that's not the point. It's a matter of principal. When I provide a security deposit, the premise is that I get it back when I fulfill whatever obligation set forth. I have done that and more. I no longer have any Bell services, why can't they return the money?
Sadly, I believe you are correct there, but it won't hurt to try.

I've asked for the president of residential services to phone me back himself, as the executive services team has been the last set of Bell employees to fail to do their job. Let's just see what happens.
Banned
May 26, 2007
326 posts
I have no idea why they would ask for a deposit for home phone.Do you have any out standing money you owe them.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11318 posts
3866 upvotes
Nowhere
I've had ongoing problems with Bell. Today they sent me a disconnect notice. I've been telling them since February that I would pay them if they sent me a proper bill. Each month they promise to fix it on the next bill, and of course, it is never fixed.

As to your problem, Ellen Roseman who writes this On Your Side column in the Toronto Star, was looking for stories on Bell problems in March. She has done a number of columns on Bell's poor service. You may want to contact her at: onyourside@thestar.ca
Banned
May 26, 2007
326 posts
Cheap Cat wrote: I've had ongoing problems with Bell. Today they sent me a disconnect notice. I've been telling them since February that I would pay them if they sent me a proper bill. Each month they promise to fix it on the next bill, and of course, it is never fixed.

As to your problem, Ellen Roseman who writes this On Your Side column in the Toronto Star, was looking for stories on Bell problems in March. She has done a number of columns on Bell's poor service. You may want to contact her at: onyourside@thestar.ca
Is she the same one beeing sued.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11318 posts
3866 upvotes
Nowhere
summerfan wrote: I have no idea why they would ask for a deposit for home phone.Do you have any out standing money you owe them.
Alot of utilities request deposits from new customers as they have no payment history with them. I remember paying one to hydro when I moved into my first apartment. Once you establish a regular payment history, they pay it back.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
3250 posts
61 upvotes
Mississauga
summerfan wrote: I have no idea why they would ask for a deposit for home phone.Do you have any out standing money you owe them.
I had been in Canada all of one week, so I had no history at all with Bell, and that is the reason they gave me. I don't agree with it, and when I worked for a telecommunications company roughly the size of Bell, we never asked for a security deposit. We may not give you access to long distance service, but there was never a deposit for local phone service.

I also had to place a security deposit with the hydro company, but that was refunded long ago, and without me ever having to ask.

Cheap Cat - I may just try that. It's not as if they are saying they won't pay me back, it's just that they are so inept that they can't get their act together long enough to cut me a cheque, even after I have provided the burden of proof.

It's a real shame that a company of that size doesn't have an employee who takes ownership of a problem and sees it through to a resolution. The true test of customer service is not how little they make mistakes, but how they take responsibility of those mistakes and turn them into a positive. I doubt that they will call me back, and I certainly don't think they'll give me the money back, but that won't stop me from occupying their time by asking, over and over and over.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2004
1335 posts
25 upvotes
I will never be a customer of Bell's again. Thankfully now that I've moved North of London I get to use Bruce Telecom who has WAY cheaper rates and same-day repair service. Weekends included....
Why is nobody on RFD accountable for their actions???
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
3250 posts
61 upvotes
Mississauga
isajoo wrote: i hope u r 110% sure that they did not return your deposit after a few months...its hard even today to figure out their bills. i just got my june statement for home phone/DSL and it has like 15 credits/debits upto the amount of $150 and the bill is 0.00. i PM the dsl with anitec at 18.95 for 1 year and for the past 3 months every bill is sooo confusing. but after checking the #'s it all adds up.

hope u have a real case. G/L :)
I've never had a credit with Bell, and have 4 years of bills to show for it. I've never had a service with Bell for anything other than a local landline. I've also got a copy of the Money Order they cashed. I've got my "ducks in a row".
Nov 8, 2004
656 posts
1 upvote
Send a registered type written letter. Threaten to sue.

If that fails take em to small claims court. May not be that much for you financially, but at the very least Bell will pay $50 to respond to your claim. And they will have the satisfaction of dragging some clueless Bell guy into court to talk about something he knows nothing about.

(Yes it will cost you $50 to file your claim, but there is some personal pride/satisfaction here.)
Banned
May 26, 2007
326 posts
dlander wrote: Send a registered type written letter. Threaten to sue.

If that fails take em to small claims court. May not be that much for you financially, but at the very least Bell will pay $50 to respond to your claim. And they will have the satisfaction of dragging some clueless Bell guy into court to talk about something he knows nothing about.

(Yes it will cost you $50 to file your claim, but there is some personal pride/satisfaction here.)
It would not be worth it to sue at all.If the op did go and sue and even if they win thy won't be walking away with anything.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
3250 posts
61 upvotes
Mississauga
I have no intentions of suing them. It's not worth the headache. I do plan to be a major thorn in their side until they resolve it though. That alone is worth the satisfaction to me.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
3250 posts
61 upvotes
Mississauga
No phone call. No surprise. Time to call :D
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
3250 posts
61 upvotes
Mississauga
Just got a call. They tell me the cheque was cut this morning and is on it's way to me. I told them I'd believe it when I have it in my hand. I guess calling the president of residential services three times this week made them light a fire under someone. I'll certainly post back here when I get the cheque. I asked for the president to call me back himself (knowing full well, that there was hardly a chance), and I would have even considered going back to Bell at some point if he did, but alas, he wasn't the one to call. I won't rule out going back to Bell someday, but they're really going to have to work for it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)