Shopping Discussion

Can Best Buy Gift Cards be used at Futureshop Stores?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2013 8:26 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 11, 2005
48 posts
I tried to use my Best Buy Gift Card at the Empress Walk FS in North York. I ask 3 of there employees and none of them with allow me to use my Best Buy Gift Card.

I gave FS.ca a try and ask for a pick in the same store. I am waiting for the confirmation. Let see how this goes.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
2893 posts
53 upvotes
I guess the final conclusion is....

No.. you can't use a BB gift card at FS
Sep 11, 2005
48 posts
axnotizes wrote: I tried to use my Best Buy Gift Card at the Empress Walk FS in North York. I ask 3 of there employees and none of them with allow me to use my Best Buy Gift Card.

I gave FS.ca a try and ask for a pick in the same store. I am waiting for the confirmation. Let see how this goes.
I order online and choose the pick-up option at the North York location. I went over to pick it up this weekend and it appear they don't process your order online. I having to pay at the store.
Again, I asked the cashier whether I can use the best buy gift card, and they said no. But this time, she offered to give it a try. To her surprise, it worked.

As Vitulla puts it, you just need to find someone willing to swipe it.

I checked the balance of the FS gift card and is $0. I checked my credit card debit, and the debit amount is the total less the gift card amount.
Dec 31, 2006
414 posts
97 upvotes
axnotizes wrote: I order online and choose the pick-up option at the North York location. I went over to pick it up this weekend and it appear they don't process your order online. I having to pay at the store.
Again, I asked the cashier whether I can use the best buy gift card, and they said no. But this time, she offered to give it a try. To her surprise, it worked.

As Vitulla puts it, you just need to find someone willing to swipe it.

I checked the balance of the FS gift card and is $0. I checked my credit card debit, and the debit amount is the total less the gift card amount.

Good info. Yes, I don't doubt that the 2 systems could process each other's gift cards. For those consumers who don't know about this, I think 95 out of 100 times, they will be told that they can't take the gift card from the other store because they are different stores. Next time, I will ask them to swipe the card even though they insist no. :)
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10592 posts
4839 upvotes
Burnaby
The real answer is, the cards both use the same system, and will work in each other's stores.

The only reason you are getting denied is due to cashiers being told off by management.

Online, nobody is there to see which store you got it from, so it will go through without hassle. The only time you might have an awkward moment is if you try to return/exchange and they ask you for the gift card you used.
Banned
Nov 11, 2006
8770 posts
31 upvotes
1) so if i use my BB gcs ONLINE at FS site...it will only work if i get items shipped to my house?

2) it wont work if its online bought and ISPU?

i got 300$ in BB gcs :D
E5200 @ 3.5200 Ghz BIOS 1.38125v 24/7 | Asus P5Q PRO | G.Skill F2-8000CL5D 8GB ram @ 853MHz on 2.10v | 1 TB Samsung F1 Spinpoint HD | 1 TB Seagate 7200.11 rpm| 1 TB WD1001FALS Black Caviar | Antec SONATA 500w Designer Case | BFG NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT OC+ 512MB PCIe 2.0 | OCZ Vendetta 2 HSF | Samsung LN40A530 C(rappy) panel | Logitech G51 sound | Xbox 360 60gb | *PS3 w/ 263gb | Nintendo Wii LU37 | Vista Ultimate x64

/me wuz pwn3d by GAG forums lolz
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2005
2612 posts
59 upvotes
spf1971 wrote: This brings up another discussion. I see a lot of people who complain that Future Shop won't price match Best Buy and they argue that they should because they are seperate companies yet they then expect them to accept each others gift cards because they're the "same company".(This is not an attack or in direct reference to the OP.) Does anyone else think it's kind of hypocritical for people to think this way? It seems they want the best of both worlds but aren't willing to accept any of the downfalls. I see it more and more everyday.
lol fail, people only think this way cause FS and BB employees keep claiming that they are both the same company and won't do price match. By that logic, they should also accept each other's gift cards. If BB and FS won't let us have our cake and eat it too, we sure as hell won't let them.
it's not who you are, it's what you do.
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4404 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Buy a Future Shop giftcard online, and pay for it using your Best Buy giftcard. Have it shipped to your house. I did a shipping estimate, and it said that shipping was free.
May 14, 2005
78 posts
2 upvotes
In regards to everyone's quesiton: Yes, you can use the gift cards with each company as they have the exact same system so it would not be an issue. Just ask the cashier to try for you by letting them know that you have done it before and it will swipe and work.
Conversly however, the only cards that will NOT work are the 'Store Credit' yellow cards from BB and the Red versions from FS as they are linked to a specific transaction and reciept and therefore cannot be used @ the Blue side or the Red Side to prevent returns back to cash.

Also BB/FS should also be giving you the 10% additional off with any price match. Regardless if its the same company because its friendly competition and thats one of the reason why both companys exsist. Besides if FS has something on sale and BB sells it, since they have the same systems the costs are usually the same and it wouldn't make a difference to them. Speak to a floor manager at the time of the PM, if they are already price matching a $50 difference, they wont say no to an additional $5 off.

Otherwise they have 1-800#'s that you call, and in a matter of 1-2 days the operations/general manager will call you back apologizing for not doing the additional 10% and usually give you that 10% difference back if not maybe more for customer loyalty :D
Jan 17, 2004
25 posts
I've price matched at BB from a FS price many times.. so I'm not sure why people are saying that can't be done. Never any troubles doing it either.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
crimsona wrote: The real answer is, the cards both use the same system, and will work in each other's stores.

The only reason you are getting denied is due to cashiers being told off by management.

Online, nobody is there to see which store you got it from, so it will go through without hassle. The only time you might have an awkward moment is if you try to return/exchange and they ask you for the gift card you used.
Interesting. Is there a way to deface or "peel off" the graphic side of the card, leaving the stripe side intact? If so you could just do that to hide where it came from and then when they look all puzzled just tell them you accidentally put it in the washing machine :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
5275 posts
1435 upvotes
Toronto
Don't mean to bump this old thread but here is my story today just happened an hour ago. It was happened in Toronto, ON.

Sorry for the long passage but its something worthwhile...

1st try (failure) @ FS in Scarborough:
- sales person "A" approached me and see if I needed any help and I pointed to the laptop that I wanted
- I explained I had a BB GC and wanted to pay by it
- "A" insisted FS wouldn't take BB GC and I suggested him to scan it on the system and see if the system could see the value in it
- sales person "A" was sort of helpful and willing to scan, and the value showed up on their system
- sales person "B" came over and "A" showed "B" the value could actually come up on their system, but "B" insisted the system would not take it even though it showed up
- I did not want to waste my time there, and I left

2nd try (success) in another Scarborough FS:
- approached sales person "A" said I wanted that laptop
- spoke to "A" saying it's going to be paid by a BB GC
- "A" hesistated and started asking around among his colleagues
- "A" finally approached a senior customer service rep. "B" and "B" willing to scan on the register to see if their system could read the BB GC
- answer of course was YES and "B" let me to use it and rang the cashier
- I paid for the remaining balance and left
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Jul 4, 2007
332 posts
95 upvotes
Edmonton
Thanks for posting your story. It seems like the consensus is that yes the gift cards can be used interchangeably. I checked the value of my BB gift card on teh Future shop website and it did come up. There's a bunch of blu-rays I want to get, but am reluctant to try price matching. Well I will post the results.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
6241 posts
708 upvotes
I used my Future Shop gift card online on Best Buy.ca to get myself a new keyboard/mouse combo.

Went though no problem at all like a charm.
Jul 4, 2007
332 posts
95 upvotes
Edmonton
Yesterday I successfully used up a BB gc @ FS with no problems. They totally work, you just have to get the right person. At first I asked this kid the the video games section and he was like "ya they should I guess because we're the same company" but then he asked this other guy and he was like "no" and they murmured amongst themselves and the consensus was a weak "no". Sort of like they're not supposed to.

Then at the till I asked the guy (casheir, different kid) about it and he wasn't sure so I asked him to just try it. He did and the value showed up and the transaction went thru and he was all surprised. So whatever, I used it.

The bottom line is they technically can do it, but if you get an ass guy they may not. I suppose you could try arguing with the manager or someone. I had no problems though.

Maybe try asking around till you get someone who will do it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 30, 2007
8910 posts
852 upvotes
Toronto
Yes they work fine I've done it many times at BB or FS with the opposite store's card.

But it's been really hard lately to do it. Rep's know they work but they REFUSE to put them through indicating they are not allowed to anymore. It happened to me 4 times in a row at different stores while xmas shopping. I went all the way up to a store manager at BB Sherway a few weeks ago and walked away empty handed.

so it's getting to a YMMV...if you get a newbie employee or someone who doesn't care I am sure chances are good. Anyone with any kind of responsibility at the store and maybe it's a no go.

for best results they are ideal for online because the system doesn't discriminate. The bookkeeping behind transferring funds between corporations must be a pain in the ass or something. Cashiers are getting really anal about no doing it.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2004
10602 posts
687 upvotes
Mississauga
Cartman_guy wrote: Yesterday I successfully used up a BB gc @ FS with no problems. They totally work, you just have to get the right person. At first I asked this kid the the video games section and he was like "ya they should I guess because we're the same company" but then he asked this other guy and he was like "no" and they murmured amongst themselves and the consensus was a weak "no". Sort of like they're not supposed to.

Then at the till I asked the guy (casheir, different kid) about it and he wasn't sure so I asked him to just try it. He did and the value showed up and the transaction went thru and he was all surprised. So whatever, I used it.

The bottom line is they technically can do it, but if you get an ass guy they may not. I suppose you could try arguing with the manager or someone. I had no problems though.

Maybe try asking around till you get someone who will do it.
They are NOT supposed to accept them. Likewise, you are NOT supposed to be able to return something bought at BB to FS and vice versa. But it's the same systems for the two companies. When they ring in something from the opposite banner, it shows up at the top of the screen that it's the wrong store, but allows the person to continue. I know when I did returns of FS merchandise to BB, they allowed it once (CSR knew no better) and didn't happen a second time with a different CSR. CSR showed me the message at the top of the screen that said "Futureshop Web Order - wrong store, do not refund", but otherwise, the system still has all the details of the order and would allow someone who doesn't necessarily know or care what they are doing, to proceed.
Jul 22, 2007
284 posts
3 upvotes
I have been looking for a Black Sony T77 at every BB in the west end and couldn't find any. I thought I would take a shot and dropped by the FS in Oakville (Hwy. 5 and Hwy. 403). I asked the camera salesman if he would take the gc from BB and he said they aren't supposed to but he would do it anyways. :D I guess it's still YMMV.
Banned
Nov 11, 2006
8770 posts
31 upvotes
has anyone bought at FS online for ISPU, went to ur FS and tried to pay using ur BB gift card??? i doubt this will work....it only works if u do shipping to ur home
E5200 @ 3.5200 Ghz BIOS 1.38125v 24/7 | Asus P5Q PRO | G.Skill F2-8000CL5D 8GB ram @ 853MHz on 2.10v | 1 TB Samsung F1 Spinpoint HD | 1 TB Seagate 7200.11 rpm| 1 TB WD1001FALS Black Caviar | Antec SONATA 500w Designer Case | BFG NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT OC+ 512MB PCIe 2.0 | OCZ Vendetta 2 HSF | Samsung LN40A530 C(rappy) panel | Logitech G51 sound | Xbox 360 60gb | *PS3 w/ 263gb | Nintendo Wii LU37 | Vista Ultimate x64

/me wuz pwn3d by GAG forums lolz