Art and Photography

Can this camera really get such clear close up shots of the moon??

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2017 5:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1045 posts
171 upvotes
Arviat

Can this camera really get such clear close up shots of the moon??

I've been seeing online several photos and videos of the Nikon p900 zooming close enough to get a shockingly clear picture of the moon, I'm finding it hard to believe it's true because I get some close up views of the moon but my telescope is a 5ft dobsonian. How is this possible that this little camera is so powerful?! My research so far has suggested it's not a hoax and the camera really has the capability of doing it.

8 replies
Aug 17, 2012
100 posts
35 upvotes
Vancouver
I believe it.
It's 2000mm equivalent optical zoom.

My 300mm equivalent lens take photos of the moon that are about the size of the top right crater or smaller. (When the moon fills the frame in the video)
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3005 posts
465 upvotes
Vancouver
I think up to about the 33 second mark he is in optical zoom and after that he uses digital on top of the optical. Something to check in another video. There are a few still pics on Flickr of the moon.

edit: I checked a couple of other videos. You can hear the zoom motor up to the point the moon fills the screen almost top to bottom. After that there is a pause and you can hear just a click and a click but no motor sound as the camera zooms in closer - seems like digital to me.

ex:

Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
1506 posts
559 upvotes
Pretty much what one would expect to see from a 55mm aperture lens (the camera's lens is f/6.3 at its longest FL 357 mm). Looks pretty close to the diffraction limit at that aperture, so the optics is obviously well optimized for the longer FL. The theoretical diffraction limit for 55mm aperture is 2.2 arc seconds, which is comparable to a typical seeing (resolution limited by the air turbulence), so not surprising that the camera images look almost as good as from a larger telescope, under the same poor seeing. One needs to get to a better location (ideally at higher altitude) to see how much better a small telescope image can be, compared to this camera.
Feb 19, 2017
30 posts
5 upvotes
dfphoenix wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2017 9:27 pm
I believe it.
It's 2000mm equivalent optical zoom.

My 300mm equivalent lens take photos of the moon that are about the size of the top right crater or smaller. (When the moon fills the frame in the video)
Yeah this it right
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5313 posts
1352 upvotes
Cornwall PE
The atmosphere turbulence is mostly because of the objects being so close to the horizon, but ya nothing amazing. A cheaper and possibly just as good experience would be a $90 to $200 mirror lens from amazon or ebay on your dslr, depending on the quality and type of mirror lens, and tripod being kind of mandatory. I also wouldn't bother unless the objects were higher in the sky and/or it were later at night when the air might be more steady, imo.
Low cost 500mm $89.99
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1080 posts
242 upvotes
Looks about right. I used to have a reflector telescope with 900 mm FL. I put the camera I had at the time on it along with a 2x Barlow (so effective FL becomes 1800 mm) and I got the moon's diameter being slightly bigger than the shorter dimension of a 5x7 photo. Taking pictures at first and last quarter are more interesting in any case.
Nov 1, 2003
578 posts
66 upvotes
We had a 35x optical zoom canon point and shoot camera and my husband took a photo of the moon that close, just steadying it on a rock while we were out in the Egyptian white desert. It came out very detailed and sharp too. I was surprised.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5313 posts
1352 upvotes
Cornwall PE
GPS wrote:
Mar 12th, 2017 3:09 pm
We had a 35x optical zoom canon point and shoot camera and my husband took a photo of the moon that close, just steadying it on a rock while we were out in the Egyptian white desert. It came out very detailed and sharp too. I was surprised.
The moon being quite bright shouldn't need a long exposure so detailed pic.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309