Careers

Can Canadian Citizen incorporate in United States?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2019 11:10 am
[OP]
Temp. Banned
May 22, 2019
228 posts
60 upvotes

Can Canadian Citizen incorporate in United States?

Can Canadian Citizen incorporate in United States? And register a company to work as a contractor in united states?

Thanks. Any firm can do this?
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5146 posts
1202 upvotes
Ottawa
Anyone can incorporate a business in the US but you still need work authorization. Having a US Corporation may actually make that even more complicated (It may be hard or possibly impossible for a US corporation that you own to get you US work authorization).

I'm not an accountant but I do not believe there are any tax benefits of doing this unless your intention is to not be considered a Canadian resident for tax purposes.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1928 posts
819 upvotes
HK
Looking for a job in the US without having sponsorship and/or work permit?

If you are serious, consult an immigration lawyer, that's what we do.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
May 22, 2019
228 posts
60 upvotes
Anybody know any forum for Canadians working in United States?
ilovetoyota wrote: Can Canadian Citizen incorporate in United States? And register a company to work as a contractor in united states?

Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1428 posts
80 upvotes
GTA (West)
ilovetoyota wrote: Can Canadian Citizen incorporate in United States? And register a company to work as a contractor in united states?

What's your issue really though?

Is it that you want to work States side as a Canadian citizen? If so, a TN work permit works. These days they're issuing those in 3 year increments.

How to get a TN? A very high level:
- Your profession must be on the list of NAFTA approved employments
- You apply for a job at a US company
- You are successful in landing a job offer
- Your company's legal team will draft a package for you which would include a TN letter of offer
- Now take this legal package along with resume and degrees to any Canadian point of entry
- Depending on many factors, this process can take up to 6 hours at the border
- Pay $ USD 50
- Start your job
- Its dependent on the US officer but the max allowed term is 3 years
- Its renewable

If you want to discuss, inbox me.
Please thank me if you find this helpful
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1786 posts
1359 upvotes
Bay Area
ilovetoyota wrote: Anybody know any forum for Canadians working in United States?
Canuck Abroad. The community has been pretty dead for a while, but there's a treasure trove of useful posts that are archived and freely available.

Also as people have asked, what exactly is your end goal here? If you just want to work in the US, you can apply for a TN as long as your occupation is NAFTA eligible. If not, you can always play the H-1B lottery and hope you get lucky. If you have longer term plans of immigrating to the US, then that's a whole other can of worms you should do some reading up on.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
May 22, 2019
228 posts
60 upvotes
I am working in the IT field, so I want to incorporate and work as a contractor for a US company in the hope the expense out some expenses like travel.

My potential employer's HR policy is that they only deal with company incorporate in United States. That's why I am asking if a Canadian citizen can incorporate in United States.
doomhammer wrote: What's your issue really though?

Is it that you want to work States side as a Canadian citizen? If so, a TN work permit works. These days they're issuing those in 3 year increments.

How to get a TN? A very high level:
- Your profession must be on the list of NAFTA approved employments
- You apply for a job at a US company
- You are successful in landing a job offer
- Your company's legal team will draft a package for you which would include a TN letter of offer
- Now take this legal package along with resume and degrees to any Canadian point of entry
- Depending on many factors, this process can take up to 6 hours at the border
- Pay $ USD 50
- Start your job
- Its dependent on the US officer but the max allowed term is 3 years
- Its renewable

If you want to discuss, inbox me.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
8451 posts
5575 upvotes
It’s almost 2020... Canada and the US should allow the free exchange of talent without work visas. Just have a rule that you cannot claim welfare or social benefits of that country but I believe if a Canadian wants to work in the us or vice versa we should be allowed. It’s time to open borders up
Between the two countries now.