Shopping Discussion

Can Canadians buy warranty from squaretrade or do you have to go through costco ST?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2017 7:37 am
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 28, 2007
57 posts
5 upvotes
Mississauga

Can Canadians buy warranty from squaretrade or do you have to go through costco ST?

Hi all,
I''m getting mixed feedback regarding squaretrade warranty. Looking through the forums, it looks like you can buy extended warranty from ST, but when i emailed and even called them, ST warranty is not available to Canadians. WTF?
If that's the case, can I purchase the ST warranty from Costco (i am a member) even if I didn't buy the tv from them?
Also, when i called ST, they said their warranty runs in parallel to the manufacture warranty. Ex: You bought a tv with 1yr manufacturer warranty and buy ST warranty for 3 years, you don't get a total for 4 years coverage, just 3.

I'm so confused!

PS: BB and FS warranty is easily double that of ST :(

Thank you guys!
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2004
3440 posts
61 upvotes
anyone have any experience dealing with squaretrade on warranty claim/replacement?
[OP]
Feb 28, 2007
57 posts
5 upvotes
Mississauga
*bump* Hopefully there will be someone in the know and this can benefit those who are purchasing electronics on BF! :)
Sep 17, 2003
702 posts
13 upvotes
I'm looking at this too and I emailed a squaretrade rep about whether an item that I purchase (non-Costco) in the US would be fully covered in Canada. He said that if I was a US resident and I'm traveling to Canada, the item would be covered and repair options will be given to me at that time. Maybe by US resident, all you need is a US address to purchase the ST warranty online. I'm thinking about doing this to pick up a TV from the states...
Dec 25, 2005
702 posts
145 upvotes
Vancouver
Wondering the same. Looking at an item from B&H Photo and SquareTrade is available for the DSLR lens. I will be shipping it to a po box near the border but can't tell if ST will honour the warranty from the information on either the retailer or ST's website.
Aug 4, 2009
62 posts
25 upvotes
I phoned the number on Costco's website for SquareTrade and the rep told me I can buy warranty at Costco without having purchased the TV there - you can purchase the TV anywhere and still get the warranty from Costco. I hope that helps.