Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Can-Com] Can-Com Internet (Western Canada / Shaw Service Territory)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2018 1:26 pm
[OP]
Nov 10, 2012
890 posts
363 upvotes
Calgary

Can-Com Internet (Western Canada / Shaw Service Territory)

Deal Link:
Retailer:
Can-Com
Figured I would post this here for anyone in Alberta/BC/Manitoba/limited Saskatchewan/NW Ontario. I have been using Can-Com for almost 2 years now on their 75/7.5 internet plan. They are a third party reseller of Shaw cable internet. Everything has been very smooth with them and I am currently paying $50 per month with no modem rental fees or upfront cost. They also have a referral program and a loyalty program for long-term (1+ year) customers.

Here are their monthly prices:

5 Mbps / 512 kbps = $25
20 Mbps / 1.5 Mbps = $35
30 Mbps / 5 Mbps = $43
75 Mbps / 7.5 Mbps = $50
150 Mbps / 15 Mbps = $70

All of their plans come with unlimited data, subject to their terms of service (you can read those on the link I provided). I have been happy with their service and figured I would share this for everyone else's benefit.

(Edited Apr 18 to reflect current pricing and removal of upfront fee / contract requirement)
(Edited Aug 3 to reflect upgrade to 75 Mbps on Internet 60 plan)
(Edited March 2018 to update for new 75 Mbps package and add new locations outside AB/BC)

Mod edit: Referral solicitation is not permitted, that means offering or requesting referrals.
Last edited by jarfgames on Jan 1st, 2017 2:42 am, edited 7 times in total.
349 replies
[OP]
Nov 10, 2012
890 posts
363 upvotes
Calgary
baijuxp wrote:
Jan 1st, 2017 3:19 am
isnt there a shaw plan already for 60 dollars?
That would make this extremely cold then cause it asks for an upfront payment of 179....

shaw-shaw-150-60-no-contract-12-months-2050813/
You can choose between the upfront payment or $0 upfront with a 2 year commitment. If you want to haggle with Shaw every year for the reduced price on Internet 150, then sure this potentially isn't hot. But if you don't want to take your chances with annual haggling, or if you are fine with speeds lower than 150 for cheaper than Shaw offers, this is a good deal in my opinion.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3512 posts
1118 upvotes
AB
Anyone else thinking of signing up with these guys? I'm thinking to get the 60 Mbps plan for $50.
Apr 20, 2013
51 posts
16 upvotes
Vancouver
ciuvak wrote:
Jan 19th, 2017 10:30 am
Anyone else thinking of signing up with these guys? I'm thinking to get the 60 Mbps plan for $50.
I've been considering them. I have been looking for more opinions from current customers before committing to a 2-year contract though.

Anyone have any experience with Can-Com?
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3512 posts
1118 upvotes
AB
Kokanee08 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2017 12:06 pm
I've been considering them. I have been looking for more opinions from current customers before committing to a 2-year contract though.
Anyone have any experience with Can-Com?
I just signed up with them a few days ago. They removed the 2-year contract requirement, if you give permission to do a credit check. So there is no contract anymore.
The modem they send (from BC) is free to use until you cancel the agreement then you need to ship it back, but they will refund the shipping cost.
In my case, after they activate the connection, I will just plug the same Shaw cable into the new modem, and that's it. It should work right away.
I picked the 60/6 plan for $50/month.
Sep 15, 2007
190 posts
9 upvotes
I've been with them since July on the 30/5 plan with no issues. I'd have no problem recommending them.
Apr 20, 2013
51 posts
16 upvotes
Vancouver
ciuvak wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2017 12:16 pm
I just signed up with them a few days ago. They removed the 2-year contract requirement, if you give permission to do a credit check. So there is no contract anymore.
Wow that's great news. That was my biggest concern because I didn't want to be stuck with them for 2 years if they end up being unreliable. They must have just changed this over the weekend, because I swear I still saw the 2-year requirement on Friday.

I think I'm comfortable enough to go through with signing up. Saving $40 a month for similar speeds seems like a no-brainer.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
1676 posts
615 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
Does any one know if you have to cancel your current internet plan with Teksavvy/Shaw before CanCom will activate your connection? I don't want to be without internet for a few days during the switch over.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3512 posts
1118 upvotes
AB
JoeStale wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2017 12:51 pm
Does any one know if you have to cancel your current internet plan with Teksavvy/Shaw before CanCom will activate your connection? I don't want to be without internet for a few days during the switch over.
Setup a date when you are disconnecting your current Shaw connection and communicate it to CanCom. They will activate the new connection on that date. The transition should be seamless.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
3512 posts
1118 upvotes
AB
Kokanee08 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2017 12:48 pm
Wow that's great news. That was my biggest concern because I didn't want to be stuck with them for 2 years if they end up being unreliable. They must have just changed this over the weekend, because I swear I still saw the 2-year requirement on Friday.
I think I'm comfortable enough to go through with signing up. Saving $40 a month for similar speeds seems like a no-brainer.
They were supposed to officially announce the changes on February 1st, but unofficially it's been available since last week. I see that they have also updated their website over the weekend to reflect the new policy.
[OP]
Nov 10, 2012
890 posts
363 upvotes
Calgary
They are good guys over there offering a competitive service. Glad I was able to help some of you out with this post :)

Also, looks like they've added a 120/10 service for $60 per month in addition to the packages I originally listed.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
29172 posts
2159 upvotes
Winnipeg
jarfgames wrote:
Jan 1st, 2017 2:42 am
Figured I would post this here for anyone in Western Canada (i.e. - Shaw service territory). I have been using Can-Com for the past number of months (about 8 months now) on their 30/5 internet plan. They are a third party reseller of Shaw cable internet. Everything has been very smooth with them and I am currently paying $43 per month with no modem rental fees or upfront cost (only catch is you need to commit to staying with them for 2 years to avoid the upfront fees). They also have a referral program and a loyalty program for long-term (1+ year) customers.

I noticed this morning that they have updated their service packages. I assume this is due to the recent CRTC changes that lowered the cost of wholesale internet sales to the third party resellers. Here are their monthly prices (assuming 2 year commitment or upfront fee payment):

5 Mbps / 512 kbps = $25
20 Mbps / 1.5 Mbps = $35
30 Mbps / 5 Mbps = $43
60 Mbps / 6 Mbps = $50
150 Mbps / 15 Mbps = $70

All of their plans come with unlimited data, subject to their terms of service (you can read those on the link I provided). I have been happy with their service and figured I would share this for everyone else's benefit.
shaw services more than just BC/AB btw, and the "west" is also more than just BC/AB.
[OP]
Nov 10, 2012
890 posts
363 upvotes
Calgary
divx wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2017 7:42 pm
shaw services more than just BC/AB btw, and the "west" is also more than just BC/AB.
Sorry about the confusion. I actually didn't realize can-com didn't service the entire Shaw base (just AB / BC).