Ongoing Deal Discussion

Can-Com

Can-Com Internet (Western Canada / Shaw Service Territory)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2023 12:32 pm
Oct 10, 2016
211 posts
53 upvotes
Vancouver
raptorsfever wrote: What I did was I signed up for Can Com and the day of Can Com connection, I returned the Shaw box in store.

We had Can Com for about 3 weeks now and everything is working okay.
Thanks for the review; planning to switch to CanCom next month; btw, did you get the receipt for your Shaw box?
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2004
1769 posts
190 upvotes
RobertL130 wrote: Thanks for the review; planning to switch to CanCom next month; btw, did you get the receipt for your Shaw box?
Yes, they give receipts after returning the modem.
Sep 2, 2018
1 posts
Can anyone share the promo code for $10 off . I m going with can com by the end of this month.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4578 posts
1999 upvotes
AB
raiboys123 wrote: Can anyone share the promo code for $10 off . I m going with can com by the end of this month.
Send me a message and I will give you a code. Click on the user name, then click Send Message.
Sep 10, 2015
241 posts
71 upvotes
Edmonton, AB T6X 1B7
reechings wrote: Are there any more codes? Is it $10 off a month? Thanks!
It's a referral code good for a one-time $10 discount upon signing up. From Can-Com website...

It Pay$ to have Friends!
Earn $1 per referred friend..per month..every month! Refer as many friends as you like. But wait, there is more, your friend will also receive a $10 credit on their account.

So, how does it work? Use you own personal Refer-A-Friend Coupon code. Give this code to your friends or share it with social media.

Everyone signing up using this code will receive $10 off their first invoice and you will receive $1 off per month on your subscription.
Oct 10, 2016
211 posts
53 upvotes
Vancouver
LizzieEdm wrote: It's a referral code good for a one-time $10 discount upon signing up. From Can-Com website...

It Pay$ to have Friends!
Earn $1 per referred friend..per month..every month! Refer as many friends as you like. But wait, there is more, your friend will also receive a $10 credit on their account.

So, how does it work? Use you own personal Refer-A-Friend Coupon code. Give this code to your friends or share it with social media.

Everyone signing up using this code will receive $10 off their first invoice and you will receive $1 off per month on your subscription.
Exactly, I just signed up yesterday. I used the code that one of the forum users gave me, and I save $10 on my first month. So, just say you want to sign up with can-com in here, and some users will give you their Refer-A-Friend Coupon code.
Nov 15, 2007
694 posts
219 upvotes
Just want to report back my experience after 1 week of use. So far so good, signed up for the 75M, got around 80M using speedtest.net. Under normal use (Youtube, Browsing website), feel the same as when I was using 150M Shaw. Sure download speed will be slower, but consider the saving, I am good to wait longer for big downloads.
Public Mobile + Fido 3GB Tablet Plan
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2960 posts
2337 upvotes
Calgary
RobertL130 wrote: Exactly, I just signed up yesterday. I used the code that one of the forum users gave me, and I save $10 on my first month. So, just say you want to sign up with can-com in here, and some users will give you their Refer-A-Friend Coupon code.
Be careful with this as the mods frown upon “referral requests” on the forums. See the mod edit at the bottom of the first post.
Sep 16, 2011
598 posts
681 upvotes
Southern AB
So I've only been with them since Aug 8th, but since then, I've moved homes and just wanted to chime in with their support. It's been great. I've communicated with them by phone and e-mail, and they've always been really friendly and helpful, even calling me back to see if my problems have been resolved. I needed an outlet activated in a room, they sent out a Shaw tech within a week. Then my power adapter for the Hitron modem died and they had one at my door in two days.
Oct 10, 2016
211 posts
53 upvotes
Vancouver
I have been with them only a week, and I believe I can list all good and bad (sort of) of CanCom.

Good:
  1. excellent price for internet plan (the internet speed is as good as Shaw)
  2. Internet 30 (Shaw don't have it anymore)
  3. seamless transition
  4. free modem
  5. Timely Support (Don't know what happened to ShAW support, at least 45 mins waiting time now)

Bad (sort of)
  1. no emails, usernet
  2. prepaid service
  3. no wifi (you don't realize that many places offer shaw open only , not free wifi)
  4. better with an active shaw service cable
  5. WTF passwords policy (try reset few times, give up)
  6. no free router
  7. Changing plan fees (they will give you 1st free)
  8. need few days to change plan (so a little bit troublesome with prepaid service)

Don't get me wrong, I am more than happy with CanCom, and I had been using Shaw Internet since the 90's.
Nov 6, 2014
519 posts
417 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
RobertL130 wrote: I have been with them only a week, and I believe I can list all good and bad (sort of) of CanCom.

Good:
  1. excellent price for internet plan (the internet speed is as good as Shaw)
  2. Internet 30 (Shaw don't have it anymore)
  3. seamless transition
  4. free modem
  5. Timely Support (Don't know what happened to ShAW support, at least 45 mins waiting time now)

Bad (sort of)
  1. no emails, usernet
  2. prepaid service
  3. no wifi (you don't realize that many places offer shaw open only , not free wifi)
  4. better with an active shaw service cable
  5. WTF passwords policy (try reset few times, give up)
  6. no free router
  7. Changing plan fees (they will give you 1st fee)
  8. need few days to change plan (so a little bit troublesome with prepaid service)

Don't get me wrong, I am more than happy with CanCom, and I had been using Shaw Internet since the 90's.
Can you explain what you mean by "better with Shaw active service cable" ?
If you are lucky enough to have an unlucky friend who is still with Shaw and who has an open slot on their Shaw open give them your wifi MAC address and buy them a beer.....
Oct 10, 2016
211 posts
53 upvotes
Vancouver
Bluiis48 wrote: Can you explain what you mean by "better with Shaw active service cable" ?
If you are lucky enough to have an unlucky friend who is still with Shaw and who has an open slot on their Shaw open give them your wifi MAC address and buy them a beer.....
If you don't have an active shaw internet service, they will need to ask Shaw to send out a tech to set up the cable which may be troublesome (sry for use the wrong wordings)
Haha, most of my friends are planning to jump the "shaw" ship now.

P.S. I amost forget the good loyalty program.
Feb 17, 2014
264 posts
359 upvotes
Calgary
Signed up a week ago and have been very impressed so far. Speeds are great, customer service has also been very nice. So glad to leave Shaw.
Feb 2, 2008
121 posts
10 upvotes
Alberta
I signed up Can-com two weeks ago. We have been trying to set up the internet, but still no connection.

The internet was in my rental house. I asked Can-com to send the modem to my primary residence. However, the modem was sent to the rental house. The post office could not give the modem to me, because the address on my driver’s license does not match the mailing address.

After providing all documents required by the post office and finally got the modem, we installed the modem and router. I purchased TP-Link Archer 7 from Staples as suggested here. I had Shaw internet in the house so Can-com said it should be no problem at all. However, there is no internet connection.

I call Can-com every day and every time I was told that they have contacted Shaw to look at the problem, but they do not have control when Shaw could come to solve the problem. After 1 week I still don’t know when the problem will be solved.

I will ask for cancellation of the service if the problem can’t be solved by the end of today. Does anyone have experience of cancelling the service before it was set up?
Nov 6, 2014
519 posts
417 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
meg2006 wrote: I signed up Can-com two weeks ago. We have been trying to set up the internet, but still no connection.

The internet was in my rental house. I asked Can-com to send the modem to my primary residence. However, the modem was sent to the rental house. The post office could not give the modem to me, because the address on my driver’s license does not match the mailing address.

After providing all documents required by the post office and finally got the modem, we installed the modem and router. I purchased TP-Link Archer 7 from Staples as suggested here. I had Shaw internet in the house so Can-com said it should be no problem at all. However, there is no internet connection.

I call Can-com every day and every time I was told that they have contacted Shaw to look at the problem, but they do not have control when Shaw could come to solve the problem. After 1 week I still don’t know when the problem will be solved.

I will ask for cancellation of the service if the problem can’t be solved by the end of today. Does anyone have experience of cancelling the service before it was set up?
That is very sad and you are now dependent on Shaw's time frame. Did you get the Technicolor modem ? Are all the lights out except the first one ? I had to try a few times to get mine to connect and hooked it direct to my PC first rather than my router. I am sure Can-Com has covered all that but it would be sad to go back to Shaw now that you have put in this much time and effort.
Feb 2, 2008
121 posts
10 upvotes
Alberta
Bluiis48, thanks for your message!
Yes I got a Technicolor modem. All lights are solid except the last one - Link is flashing. When I talked to Can-com technician, I have been given two different answers. One technician told me that if the link is flashing that means everything is good. Another technician said that a flashing light means no internet. I don't know which answer is correct.
I also connected my computer directly to the modem. Still no connection.
Nov 6, 2014
519 posts
417 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
meg2006 wrote: Bluiis48, thanks for your message!
Yes I got a Technicolor modem. All lights are solid except the last one - Link is flashing. When I talked to Can-com technician, I have been given two different answers. One technician told me that if the link is flashing that means everything is good. Another technician said that a flashing light means no internet. I don't know which answer is correct.
I also connected my computer directly to the modem. Still no connection.
OK, flashing Link on mine all others solid. I believe you should indeed have internet. Don't know how tech savvy you are but are you sure your computer is set to dhcp ? If you know how, at a command prompt type ipconfig/ all and it should show your network settings. To make sure you are getting the best support phone CanCom and ask for Dave. Can't believe they would let you Down.