Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Can-Com] Can-Com Internet (Western Canada / Shaw Service Territory)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2019 1:07 pm
Dec 7, 2018
2 posts
2 upvotes
I now join Can-com basic plan. Initially use cell phone to test speed, got 4.79mbps download and 0.97 mbps upload. I didn't feel the speed is slower than Telus high speed 25. When i browse some website, it shows faster than Telus 25. so far, i am happy with this plan, i don't need too fast, i usually only check email and browse website and watch YouTube on TV, all the same as when we had Telus 25. More than two years ago i already wanted to switch to another internet service provider, but hesitated and didn't take any action. I regret i didn't switch early. If i did early, i should have saved a few hundred bucks. I recommend Can-Com. If someone wants to switch and get $10 referral, i can provide a referral code. Thanks to read my comments.
Nov 15, 2007
623 posts
162 upvotes
seriosbrad wrote:
Jan 29th, 2019 9:32 pm
I moved away from Can-Com to re-join Shaw on the $60/m 300Mbps 12mo no contract deal.

Can-Com was not willing to price match their new $80 300Mbps package against Shaw, telling me they won't be lowering the prices unless CRTC asks them to. That said, I still enjoyed my time with Can-Com, and think they are a pretty great deal for the lower tiers.
Hi, I am also interested in the new Shaw promo and would like to switch. When you cancelled your can-com account, did you give notice in advance? Dnd did they pro-rate the unused days of service?
Public Mobile + Fido 3GB $15 Tablet Plan (50% off for 24 months)
Sep 16, 2011
193 posts
165 upvotes
Lethbridge
gzlwl wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 3:18 pm
Hi, I am also interested in the new Shaw promo and would like to switch. When you cancelled your can-com account, did you give notice in advance? Dnd did they pro-rate the unused days of service?
You don't need to give notice, but you can, If you want to schedule a disconnection. I contacted Can-Com after I was online with the Shaw modem to ensure I had no down-time.

I'm unsure about the pro-rating. Still waiting on my hardware deposit refund which will likely include any pro-ratings if they do. I'll let you know.
Nov 15, 2007
623 posts
162 upvotes
seriosbrad wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 3:32 pm
You don't need to give notice, but you can, If you want to schedule a disconnection. I contacted Can-Com after I was online with the Shaw modem to ensure I had no down-time.

I'm unsure about the pro-rating. Still waiting on my hardware deposit refund which will likely include any pro-ratings if they do. I'll let you know.
Thanks. Just signed up with Shaw for the $60 per month 300M internet with $250 bill credit on 2 year contract. Installation scheduled end of this month.

Let me know how you final bill turns out. Thanks in advance.
Oct 11, 2006
44 posts
20 upvotes
Unfortunately I'm a subscriber with this ISP. If I could go back in time I'd definitely choose another one. Non stop issues from poor technical support to modem problems to getting a fraction of the bandwidth I was paying for. Things are currently mediocre enough that I'm settling for them for the time being. Will be switching soon though.
Nov 24, 2006
703 posts
150 upvotes
kingsford wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 12:39 am
Unfortunately I'm a subscriber with this ISP. If I could go back in time I'd definitely choose another one. Non stop issues from poor technical support to modem problems to getting a fraction of the bandwidth I was paying for. Things are currently mediocre enough that I'm settling for them for the time being. Will be switching soon though.
Mind sharing which area & city you're located in? It'd be useful to know in case anyone wants to join in your immediate area. Did you rent a modem from them, or bought your own?

It seems Can-Com has been getting mostly good reviews though, except the fact they haven't been able to match Shaw's latest 300M 2-yr contract plan. I've been with them for a few years now and haven't had any issues aside from shared downtime with Shaw, but I'm only on the 30Mbps family plan.
Nov 6, 2014
218 posts
170 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
kingsford wrote:
That is sad but hopefully rare. I have been on their 75 plan for over a year (in Kelowna). Consistent 85 down on wifi, more than enough bandwidth for our small family. Had a couple of problems during the first month but solid since and external IP address has not changed since then. Previously had Telus and Shaw but got fed up with their marketing games and gouge at end of contract.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4007 posts
1516 upvotes
AB
kingsford wrote:
Modem hardware issues can happen, hopefully you can get a replacement fast.
Regarding other network issues, it's very area depending, can be problems with the cable node specific to your location. It's the Shaw network after all, the wires don't belong to Can-Com.
It's easy to just switch to Shaw and see if all issues go away, right?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
1312 posts
691 upvotes
Calgary
seriosbrad wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 3:32 pm

When I switched over to Telus, they did credit me back for the pro-rated days in the final month. No issues with that. Only slight negative related to the cancellation process is that Can Com commits to crediting you $12 (maximum) for shipping the modem back to them, but I couldn't find a way to get it back to them for quite that low from Alberta. To be fair, the $12 maximum is something to noted upfront so it wasn't shady or anything, but just something to be aware of, especially if you're outside B.C.
Oct 11, 2006
44 posts
20 upvotes
I'm in Vancouver. They provided a modem.

They might not be responsible for the modem and network issues but the technical support is completely their doing. I've called their "24/7" technical support line several times only to reach a voicemail. Other times I've been on a never ending hold for 30+ minutes. When I've emailed technical support I've been told that I would be called back the next day but instead I would either not get a call OR they would call me at 6AM (even though I asked them not to call me that early which they agreed to). When I've finally actually got technical support on the phone through some miracle I've been connected to people who don't speak English well and are cold. You get what you pay for.
Nov 15, 2007
623 posts
162 upvotes
Just want to share my cancellation experience with Can-com. I switched back to Shaw due to their new promo.

Called in to cancel, then sent the modem back to Can-com by Canadapost. Took one week for Can-com to receive the modem. They refunded the charge of unused days of service and $12 for the shipping the next day.

I am happy with the cancellation process. Will use them again in the future.
Sep 16, 2011
193 posts
165 upvotes
Lethbridge
gzlwl wrote:
Feb 27th, 2019 6:11 pm
Just want to share my cancellation experience with Can-com. I switched back to Shaw due to their new promo.

Called in to cancel, then sent the modem back to Can-com by Canadapost. Took one week for Can-com to receive the modem. They refunded the charge of unused days of service and $12 for the shipping the next day.

I am happy with the cancellation process. Will use them again in the future.
Oh yeah, I forgot to reply about my cancellation details. But, it was exactly the same experience. Good company in my books. Almost felt bad to leave lol.
Jun 17, 2007
243 posts
178 upvotes
British Columbia
I noticed the other day that my connection got it's upload speed reduced permanently from 4.5mbps to 2mbps, on the "basic plus" connection that advertises 20mbps / 1.5mbps.

Checked their site and now there is no "basic plus" for $35, it's been changed to "family lite 25" for $38. It advertises 25 down 2 up, which is exactly what it gets. At least they're still only charging me the $35.

Paying $9 more to get +5mbps down and +3mbps upload isn't worth it though. Wish they would increase the speed of that middle tier.
Oct 10, 2016
199 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver
Elanzer wrote:
Mar 4th, 2019 7:26 pm
I noticed the other day that my connection got it's upload speed reduced permanently from 4.5mbps to 2mbps, on the "basic plus" connection that advertises 20mbps / 1.5mbps.

Checked their site and now there is no "basic plus" for $35, it's been changed to "family lite 25" for $38. It advertises 25 down 2 up, which is exactly what it gets. At least they're still only charging me the $35.

Paying $9 more to get +5mbps down and +3mbps upload isn't worth it though. Wish they would increase the speed of that middle tier.
ya, I wish they can increase the speed of low to middle tier (basic 5 ~ pro 75). The plans are not a good deal now after Shaw introduced the new plans