Tags:
None
Sep 30, 2006
56 posts
Vancouver

Can Computer in Richmond

Hi,

Anyone shopped at Can Computers recently? http://www.cancomputer.com/
I bought something online last Thursday (April 12th) and paid using that electronic payment method (bank transfer). But i haven't heard from them since...I tried emailing them=no reply...tried calling=directs me to a full voice mail box. I actually dropped by on Saturday (April 14) and saw a notice on the window saying that they are on vacation BUT it stated that they will be back on April 9th!! Anyone know whats up?

I'm worried they went out of business? Or am I just being paranoid?
32 replies
Apr 15, 2007
12 posts
4 upvotes
Hey, I'm having the same problem. I've heard from someone who is local that they are gone. I'm pretty sure they have literally skipped town. Unbelieveable, but after dealing with this company for SIX months, I'm not so shocked.

I ordered a computer from them in bloody November 2006 and went through a huge deal to get a full refund after receiving not one, but TWO broken computers, and not what I specified in my order either. First the installation job was crap, then the bloody motherboard was fried. Excuse me if I'm not speaking very eloquently right now but as I'm sure you can understand, I'm HIGHLY pissed at this point. It's now April and I have no full refund from them. The only thing I received back was 45 bucks for shipping back ONE of the computers to them. They still owe me 1,019.43 + approximately 45 bucks for the first computer I shipped back, which, after I was given a runaround with Canada Post thanks to them ("fill this out and then we'll get it to you") was told I would get my shipping fee back. Same bloody story that kept me waiting for that 1k, too. My first stop is the Better Business Bureau, and then I'm considering talking to ctv, as silly as that may seem. I'll also be asking some family about lawyers that can advise me further because this is not the sort of thing you let go, and, as I can see here - I'm not alone. I think the full answering machine & Andrew's full e-mail inbox is a good sign of that as well.

This company blows. I plan to go after them as hard as I can. As much as I feel for you, mhlwang, and anybody else going through this - I hope those that are will also leave a message here.
Sep 30, 2006
56 posts
Vancouver
Sorry to hear about that, well I went ahead and filed a complaint with the BBB. I guess thats about all I can do at the moment.
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12700 posts
15951 upvotes
Another reason not to buy locally manufactured computers. A lot of the small stores put into their computers used components. Buy brand name computers like HP instead.
Have a nice day!

Apr 15, 2007
12 posts
4 upvotes
I'm not sure what to do next, mhlwang. I'll let you know if I find out some information though. BBB seems pretty useless though. They just forward whatever letter you write to them, to the company. Bah. You can try using their other services at a cost but seeing as this company has fled, I'm not sure that would be of any help.

LonesomeDove: This wasn't a local purchase. I bought through their website. I'm in Ontario - they're in British Columbia. I ended up purchasing the computer I have now from a local shop called Flat Planet and am quite pleased with it. I actually wish I'd just gone locally in the first place but seeing as I had no previous problems purchasing the old computer online before (not from CC) I figured I wouldn't have any problems. Seems I should have checked my sources better though.
Aug 29, 2006
6 posts
I bought Office 2007 Student version from them at the end of March and though the money cleared quickly there has been nothing from them since even though I have emailed and called several times. Have they really left town? What are my options does anyone know? I have dealt with them in the past and never had a problem so I am a little shocked. Please let me know what I can do besides The BBB, if you know. Thanks a lot...
a little :mad: and :confused:
thanks a lot :)
Ktariel
Apr 15, 2007
12 posts
4 upvotes
Hey ktariel, when I went to file my complaint with the BBB it said they wouldn't handle it due to the violation being a criminal act. I was given the following information:

Employment Standards Branch
604 660-4946
210 4946 Canada Way
Burnaby, BC V5G 4J6
www.labour.gov.bc.ca/esb

I'm going to look into that. Hope it helps some of you as well.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2004
7641 posts
448 upvotes
BC
wow, they seemed reputable.
insert witty comment
May 14, 2004
332 posts
4 upvotes
heard from a friend that stopped by saying the place is empty
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2005
2118 posts
119 upvotes
ktariel wrote: I bought Office 2007 Student version from them at the end of March and though the money cleared quickly there has been nothing from them since even though I have emailed and called several times. Have they really left town? What are my options does anyone know? I have dealt with them in the past and never had a problem so I am a little shocked. Please let me know what I can do besides The BBB, if you know. Thanks a lot...
a little :mad: and :confused:
thanks a lot :)
Ktariel
If any of you paid with visa, you could initiate a chargeback via the credit card company to reverse the transaction.
Aug 29, 2006
6 posts
[QUOTE]If any of you paid with visa, you could initiate a chargeback via the credit card company to reverse the transaction[/QUOTE]

I wish I had paid via visa and then I could get my money back. Unfortunately I used the electronic payment method this time.
Hi Sporetobemore, I looked on the site for the Employment standards act. Can't seem to find anything there that would help. Thanks to all for the replies. I will keep on trying and if I find anything more to do I will post it here. And I will keep on checking on here. I would check for myself to see if the store is open still but I live on one of the Gulf Islands and can't just hop on over to the mainland. I must say I am disappointed. But thanks again to all who have replied.
:)
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2004
3953 posts
18 upvotes
They had gone out of business once two years ago, and somehow they came back. It was one of the coolest stores in town before then, since their Saturday sale was the craziest. Now? I have no clue.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 3, 2005
5745 posts
28 upvotes
Surrey
Not that this helps, but the owner of the store is an asian female in her late 20's, early 30's. I actually talked to her few years ago when I worked at a wholesaler in Richmond, and she seemed like a descent person. Looks like she folded her company and decided to screw some people over. In fact, there were several other companies in the past along that Bridgeport area that did the same thing, if not worse. I don't think there is really anything you can do, especially if she went back to HK.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 3, 2005
5745 posts
28 upvotes
Surrey
LonesomeDove wrote: Another reason not to buy locally manufactured computers. A lot of the small stores put into their computers used components. Buy brand name computers like HP instead.
That's why you assemble your own computer with brandname components. If the retail outlet goes under, atleast you can send them back directly to the manufacturer. Unless you are buying blade servers, HP desktops are total crap.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2003
2570 posts
461 upvotes
Wow, pretty crazy. Yeah, I stopped by there a couple days ago to order a couple OEM Office 2007 licenses from them, something I have done a few times previously, and found that the store was completely empty. I guess I had never noticed it in the past couple weeks while driving by, as I had not needed to pick anything up from them during that time. I found it pretty unusual to see the entire shop empty, and didn't know what happened to them.

I went on their website and noticed that was still up... but then in my mind, I was wondering what happens if people continued ordering through there... I guess now I know.

That's pretty crazy... I would love to know the full story behind this. They did seem like a reputable business... I never had any problems in the several times I dealt with them.

The owner's name is Michelle, I'm pretty sure.
Apr 25, 2007
3 posts
This company SKIPPED TOWN long before I placed my order on April 2nd 2007 However, they did not mention a thing on their website and the website is still taking orders to this day!!! I placed an Order for over $180 CAD and sent a Money Order to them expecting them to fill the Order that was "Received" and was to be filled within 3-10 business days. I had since found out after absolutely no communication with the company and no response returned for 5 emails that THEY DO NOT EXIST!!! Try it for yourself... Their phone # 1-877-CAN-2004 as well as their local number goes straight to an automatic answering machine which is full and tells you to hang up... I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW UNPROFESSIONAL THIS COMPANY HAS ACTED BY STILL TO THIS DAY ACCEPTING ORDERS VIA CREDIT CARDS AND MAIL WHEN THEY DON'T EXIST!!! Now I have since tried to recover my payment which has not been cashed yet, but has cost me a fortune in refund tracing charges!!! CANTCOMPUTER.COM IS FINISHED AND I'M FREAKIN PISSED!!!
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR
Just for your information:
Pictures of the team.

And they seemed like such nice people there.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Aug 29, 2006
6 posts
Well too late for me I guess, I am out the $125. which for some isn't bad but its bad enough. There must be a way to shut the site down, how many people will they scam like this. The shame of it is that I dealt with them before and had no hint of this. I guess there always is a first time. My concern now is to stop them from getting anymore out of anyone else.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR
ktariel wrote: Well too late for me I guess, I am out the $125. which for some isn't bad but its bad enough. There must be a way to shut the site down, how many people will they scam like this. The shame of it is that I dealt with them before and had no hint of this. I guess there always is a first time. My concern now is to stop them from getting anymore out of anyone else.
I guess we can contact the webhosting company and explain the situation. I think they're hosted by Network Solutions.

Here's the whois.

*EDIT: I sent a message to general inquiries regarding this situation. Here's the link for anyone else who would like to add their voices.

Curious how they were advertising for a job opening just recently:
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:Kxo ... =firefox-a

[IMG]http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/4726/ccjobit8.th.jpg[/IMG]
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Apr 15, 2007
12 posts
4 upvotes
Thank-you for the information you provided, Haz. I'm not sure that the staff pictures are up to date. The people I spoke with went by the names Andrew & Henry, and that's it. They're not even on there.

Also, regarding that job opening - I'm not surprised that no credentials whatsoever were required by them for a bloody technician :|

Ktariel, this (sadly) isn't the first time. They did something similar in 2004, which frustratingly, I didn't find out until after this happened :mad: . So on that note, Michelle Ng probably hasn't left the country in all reality. I guess that puts a slightly positive spin on it, but that still leaves me clueless as to what the next step might be (besides getting in contact with ESB, which I still need to do). I have already sent a note to their domain provider.