Students

Can a degree be revoked??

[OP]
Mar 17, 2015
124 posts
20 upvotes
North York, ON

Can a degree be revoked??

I shared my old notes, assignments and test with a current student in my university. I forgot to highlight and scratch my name but he promised me to only use it for his purpose. As for the course material goes i have heard the assignment are changed every semester but not sure about test. I did it just so that i can get rid of my notes. Also i graduated from the same university and same program 6 months ago.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4639 posts
1438 upvotes
Toronto
Cocoboy1993 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 5:00 pm
I shared my old notes, assignments and test with a current student in my university. I forgot to highlight and scratch my name but he promised me to only use it for his purpose. As for the course material goes i have heard the assignment are changed every semester but not sure about test. I did it just so that i can get rid of my notes. Also i graduated from the same university and same program 6 months ago.
It's possible for a degree to be revoked in extreme circumstances, but I don't see how you did anything wrong - assuming you were allowed to keep a copy of your test and it's not a final exam that you stole from the exam hall or something like that. There's nothing wrong with sharing your notes and past work. If they choose to use it to plagiarize, they're the one at risk, not you.
[OP]
Mar 17, 2015
124 posts
20 upvotes
North York, ON
The course was Business Statistics and the marked test were given out to students by instructor
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10300 posts
2587 upvotes
Markham
Manatus wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 5:31 pm
It's possible for a degree to be revoked in extreme circumstances, but I don't see how you did anything wrong - assuming you were allowed to keep a copy of your test and it's not a final exam that you stole from the exam hall or something like that. There's nothing wrong with sharing your notes and past work. If they choose to use it to plagiarize, they're the one at risk, not you.
Exactly, OP not to worry.
Circumstance I can think of that they revoke your degree is that they have proof that you plagiarize on exam paper or cheating on your exams. Even that, they probably need to spend a lot of effort to do that and not held liability in case you can bite them back.

Just relax.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1513 posts
192 upvotes
Markham, ON
Did you attend classes and tutorials?
Did you complete assignments?
Did you study for your tests and exams?

They can take away your degree but they cannot take away what you learned from the time you put in.
Nov 22, 2017
274 posts
146 upvotes
Degrees that get revoked usually happen to master or phd holders because plagiarism was found in their thesis or research papers. It is super rare that it happens to an undergraduate student. Unless it was found that they did something very serious like hack their professors computer or something along those lines. You shouldn't worry too much.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
2439 posts
2403 upvotes
Yes, a degree can be revoked. My ex partner was involved with fraud. The degree was revoked as it should have.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.