Can an employeer cut your pay without informing you first

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2018 4:20 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4807 posts
1801 upvotes

Can an employeer cut your pay without informing you first

Can an employeer cut your pay without informing you first?
16 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
In a non-unionized organization, No.
In a union organization, the pay cut would be a result of being "demoted" or placed in a lower paying position.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4807 posts
1801 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: In a non-unionized organization, No.
In a union organization, the pay cut would be a result of being "demoted" or placed in a lower paying position.
Non union private company. What căn I do?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
EEE2 wrote: Non union private company. What căn I do?
What does your employment contract state?
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4807 posts
1801 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: What province are you in? Taking a wild guess here...Ontario?
Ontario, Toronto.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10930 posts
3663 upvotes
we had a paycut at a job for all employees in AB around 10 years ago, we got a letter with a 60 day notice.
Dec 11, 2013
817 posts
911 upvotes
Toronto
EEE2 wrote: Ontario, Toronto.
Start looking for a new job this weekend.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
8501 posts
1053 upvotes
Occupied Ottawa
I'm not a lawyer, but I would imagine that they would have to tell you sometime before you started working at the "new", lower rate. After all, all employment is basically an agreement between you and your employer; you agree to perform X work in exchange for Y amount of dollars. They can't arbitrarily chance the "Y" amount without notifying you, at which point either one of you may want to renegotiate or terminate the employment (fired/quit).
Aug 31, 2006
250 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
The Employment Standards Act, 2000, known as the ESA, is a law that sets minimum standards for workplaces in Ontario.

If you are protected by the ESA, your employer cannot:

intimidate you
fire you
suspend you
reduce your pay
punish you in any other way, or
threaten any of these actions, because you asked about or asked for your ESA rights.

Call the Ministry of Labour's Employment Standards Information Centre at 416-326-7160, toll free at 1-800-531-5551, or TTY 1-866-567-8893.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2896 posts
2234 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
@Devo What is your source? I only ask because none of the online resources I use touch on reduction of pay, nor can I find such within the Act itself. Nor am I saying that an investigator would not rule in favour of an employee.
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
8501 posts
1053 upvotes
Occupied Ottawa
Devo wrote: The Employment Standards Act, 2000, known as the ESA, is a law that sets minimum standards for workplaces in Ontario.

If you are protected by the ESA, your employer cannot:

intimidate you
fire you
suspend you
reduce your pay
punish you in any other way, or
threaten any of these actions, because you asked about or asked for your ESA rights.

Call the Ministry of Labour's Employment Standards Information Centre at 416-326-7160, toll free at 1-800-531-5551, or TTY 1-866-567-8893.
What that only means is that they can't reduce your pay (or otherwise retaliate against you) because you asked about your ESA rights or invoked them.
Aug 31, 2006
250 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
rcmpvet wrote: @Devo What is your source? I only ask because none of the online resources I use touch on reduction of pay, nor can I find such within the Act itself. Nor am I saying that an investigator would not rule in favour of an employee.
Its from https://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es/laws/index.php
https://www.ontario.ca/document/your-gu ... ndards-act

The main question is if your job is considered and under the protection of ESA.
As mentioned before, you shall give them a call for legal advice (in related to ESA)

Best of lUCK
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2896 posts
2234 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
@Devo Again what is your specific source? Post the link that states what you stated. I have researched the Employment Standards Act and can find no such clause. You only managed to post the general link. You made the comment and should be able to post the exact source, if it is within the Act itself, then post the applicable section.
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
its Canada, these capitalist corporations have all the powers (lawyers, law on their side, etc).
Sorry OP.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2896 posts
2234 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
@Devo Thank You.