Off Topic

Can eye doctors refuse to write you a prescription?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2012 4:23 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 9, 2008
824 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto

Can eye doctors refuse to write you a prescription?

my eye doctor wont write me a prescription anymore because she says "it doesnt make sense". she does that so im forced to buy my contacts from her instead of from somewhere else. is she allowed to do that? im mad about that and now i owe her $50 for a missed appointment.
55 replies
Feb 5, 2007
355 posts
10 upvotes
Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure if you go in for an eye-exam she has to give you a copy of your prescription. Also, what do you mean 'anymore'? Has your eye-sight changed since your last prescription?
[OP]
Dec 9, 2008
824 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
i've been going to her for years and she always gave me a prescription but stopped doing it the last time i saw her which was last year. her name is dr. susan m. rutherford.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2005
3062 posts
246 upvotes
SoBored wrote:
Aug 29th, 2012 3:08 pm
Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure if you go in for an eye-exam she has to give you a copy of your prescription. Also, what do you mean 'anymore'? Has your eye-sight changed since your last prescription?
Maybe OP meant the optometrist feels it doesn't make sense to write it anymore because she can offer the contact services in-house?
So in her mind, there's no point writing a prescription for a person to go elsewhere for the same product when they can just purchase from her.

Time to find a new optometrist....
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2006
7548 posts
387 upvotes
Scarborough
I go to Dr Chow at Scarborough Town. Sir has a door that goes right to Lens Crafters.
No, I do NOT have any Z10's or Z30's left for sale. Stop PM'ing me!
BST Reference: Heatware | RFD
Wins: 2010 - Asus G73Sw-AY1 / 2012 - $50 BB Card in "RFD OT Reboot" / 2013 - MobilSyrup.com Samsung Galaxy note 8.0 LTE from Bell
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2011
8475 posts
13427 upvotes
Years ago in my province (which is not yours) opts started to state theat they would not write prescriptions unless you had requested one at the time of booking the appt. Of course you were not told this when they booked the appt!
Anyhow it was challenged throught the college and they are no longer permitted to do that.
Frames are the most marked up product on the market so they are motivated to force you to you buy from them.
Many optomical offices i my prov will do a free exam so that is likely how they get around it - if it is free I suspect no script will be written.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
5771 posts
664 upvotes
May be she never read all the Code of Conduct but it is an interesting read:
...The Professional Misconduct Regulation (O. Reg. 859/93 under the Optometry
Act, 1991) includes the following acts of professional misconduct:

14. Failing to make available to a patient who requests one a written, signed
and dated prescription for a subnormal vision device, contact lenses or
eyeglasses.

16. Recommending or providing unnecessary diagnostic or treatment
services.

17. Failing to maintain the standards of practice of the profession.

http://www.collegeoptom.on.ca/contentma ... iption.pdf
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Sep 30, 2001
25656 posts
4873 upvotes
Xeros wrote:
Aug 29th, 2012 4:56 pm
Sounds like another optometrist that pre-opens contact lens and puts them into the cases for you so that you don't know what brand you have for your prescription.
I've never heard of this before. How can a customer not know what they're paying for?
Don't talk about it, be about it
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12845 posts
571 upvotes
rjones416 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2012 3:05 pm
my eye doctor wont write me a prescription anymore because she says "it doesnt make sense". she does that so im forced to buy my contacts from her instead of from somewhere else. is she allowed to do that? im mad about that and now i owe her $50 for a missed appointment.
Did she refuse at the end of a appointment or did you just walk in an expect her to write out the previous prescription?
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14339 posts
1292 upvotes
Oshawa
It's not like there's a shortage of optometrists, you know. After all, they're not really doctors.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2008
1978 posts
102 upvotes
North York
Report her and then go to another doctor.

I used to go to a Vietnamese optomertrist that did that. He had a partnership with the glasses store attached to his office (hint: Wilson and Keele). Plus he has a rude receptionist too. Bad experiences all the way through so now I go to a better place who is nicer and honest. I get my contact lens and frames online or when there is a major sale somewhere.
× < >