Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2009
1049 posts
45 upvotes

Can a fox be owned as a pet in Canada?

Are foxes allowed to be owned as pets in Canada?
54 replies
Jan 1, 2012
238 posts
31 upvotes
KINGSTON
virgilaug wrote:
Feb 14th, 2012 7:40 pm
Are foxes allowed to be owned as pets in Canada?

Not in Ontario...unless you have the appropriate qualifications and MNR permits.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2009
1049 posts
45 upvotes
Bummer, foxes are such cute animals.
Jan 1, 2012
238 posts
31 upvotes
KINGSTON
virgilaug wrote:
Feb 14th, 2012 9:55 pm

Cute does not mean nice....
Dec 13, 2008
33 posts
1 upvote
Still would make an... interesting pet. I don't see how they could be too friendly. I think they're solitary animals in the wild, aren't they?
Jul 31, 2008
203 posts
44 upvotes
Markham
virgilaug wrote:
Feb 14th, 2012 9:55 pm
I think you have been watching too many Disney movies.

Have you ever seen a fox in the wild? Their pelts may be beautiful, but they are what I would call a harsh looking and mean animal (one step above a raccoon). They are not meant to be domesticated. They need territory, and they like to kill things.

There are plenty of great choices for pets without having to look for something "different". I know people who have bought large or exotic pets who then discovered the pet is highly active, will damage things in the house, and will generally not be a good domestic pet. They then either get rid of the pet or put it in a cage whenever they are not around (which can be 20 hours a day if they cage it at night too). Sounds like pet hell to me.

If you want to get a pet, go figure out how much time you really want to put in. Not the first week, but every day for the next 10-20 years of your life. Then go visit the shelter often til you find a nice little mutt that actually likes people and is not psychotic (harder to find than you may think). Going to shelters is educational when you see the pets that many people are getting rid of.
Dec 13, 2008
33 posts
1 upvote
mdl.tor wrote:
Feb 18th, 2012 7:29 pm
There are plenty of great choices for pets without having to look for something "different". I know people who have bought large or exotic pets who then discovered the pet is highly active, will damage things in the house, and will generally not be a good domestic pet. They then either get rid of the pet or put it in a cage whenever they are not around (which can be 20 hours a day if they cage it at night too). Sounds like pet hell to me.

If you want to get a pet, go figure out how much time you really want to put in. Not the first week, but every day for the next 10-20 years of your life. Then go visit the shelter often til you find a nice little mutt that actually likes people and is not psychotic (harder to find than you may think). Going to shelters is educational when you see the pets that many people are getting rid of.
Take the advice above seriously, it's very truthful. I've had very unique pets like a chicken and water monitor lizard. The novelty lasts say up to a year, then it's annoying to take care of an animal not meant for domestication. It takes dedication to change a dirty water bin every single day.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2009
1049 posts
45 upvotes
MichaelAngelo wrote:
Feb 18th, 2012 8:20 pm
Take the advice above seriously, it's very truthful. I've had very unique pets like a chicken and water monitor lizard. The novelty lasts say up to a year, then it's annoying to take care of an animal not meant for domestication. It takes dedication to change a dirty water bin every single day.

A Chicken, LMAO.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2004
2707 posts
27 upvotes
My area is infested with fox and i know a place where a fox stays on their their porch and then brought back a litter . I don`t feed them but they are always in my area along with pheasant , owls , moose , deer , coyotes and others .
Jul 8, 2010
604 posts
156 upvotes
White Bear, BM
are you talking about a Fennec Fox or normal red fox????????
Jul 5, 2004
21394 posts
1590 upvotes
mathu83 wrote:
Feb 19th, 2012 3:25 pm

I would imagine most people don't even know what a Fennec Fox is, so I'm guessing he meant a regular ol' red fox.
Toronto Maple Leafs tickets for sale. PM me for details
Jan 1, 2012
238 posts
31 upvotes
KINGSTON
mathu83 wrote:
Feb 19th, 2012 3:25 pm

Fennec fox or normal fox....they both have musk glands & are pretty unreliable when it comes to house training (either for outdoors or a litter box) just for two examples. Both videos the OP posted in support of his/her silly idea are from wildlife care & rehabilitation organizations....that should be a clue as to suitability.

As for the dear Fennec fox, they may be cute but they are not 'easy' animals.
× < >