• Sep 7th, 2017 4:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2368 posts
537 upvotes
Newmarket
Could someone please give me one good reason to own a fox or a monkey as a pet?
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2011
1595 posts
244 upvotes
Ottawa
Spidey wrote:
May 2nd, 2013 4:16 pm
A skunk I have heard makes a great pet, one you descent it. They are like a cat if you get them from very little
This +1. Skunks are actually great pets as opposed to something like a fox.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2003
4551 posts
208 upvotes
Burnaby
HandsomeRob wrote:
May 28th, 2013 12:24 pm
As somebody who lives with a Shiba Inu, I'll say they're probably almost as hard. A cat in a dogs body.
Yup, I also have one. One of the most loyal dogs you can have.
Items for Sale:
...nothing for now...

References: eBay Feedback
Jan 28, 2014
62 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
In regards to owning a domesticated fox it is an actual possibility.
There are 2 main places (one in Russia, another in the States) that about 10 years ago decided to breed foxes for pelts for the fur industry. In an effort to make the foxes easier to handle they bred not only for the pelt but for the sweeter foxes. After a few generations the foxes started to have less valuable pelts - i.e some were permanently grey, white, black with patches, spots or combinations of unwanted colours. Basically not red. Their ears also didn't always end up erect as adults either. They did want to play and be petted though. So if you want a grey, dark grey, brown or some combination of those colours, have at least $5000.00 american dollars, are willing to wait on a waiting list and fill out the appropriate importation documents you can add a fox pup, juvenile or adult to your family.
While adorable looking, you cannot guarantee domestic behaviours just yet. Also there is a possibility of high inbreeding as well.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
1989 posts
202 upvotes
You can but you need a special permit. My cumpare's cugine has a timberwolf he found as a cub in Northern Ontario
"I've been tearing money since my first Holy Communion."
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1704 posts
81 upvotes
Southern ontario
Psubs wrote:
Feb 18th, 2014 1:09 pm
I think we need to consider the other side's opinion. What does the fox say?
feed me. but don't expect anything back.
Feb 1, 2014
131 posts
4 upvotes
sgsmith wrote:
Feb 14th, 2012 8:27 pm
Not in Ontario...unless you have the appropriate qualifications and MNR permits.
this is actually not true at all. please don't post misinformation like this that is false.

in ontario anyone, you, your grandmother, your mom, anyone can own any exotic animal and you don't need a license for it or any certification or any of that. by any yes, i mean lion, fox, cougar, etc.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editoria ... afety.html

"Ontario is the only province that allows exotic pets without even the trouble of getting a permit, the Star’s Kate Allen and Wendy Gillis reported this week. "
http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editoria ... fety.html#
"Because Ontario is the only province with no laws specifically governing exotic animal ownership."
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5152 posts
660 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Prophet3 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2014 1:50 am
this is actually not true at all. please don't post misinformation like this that is false.

in ontario anyone, you, your grandmother, your mom, anyone can own any exotic animal and you don't need a license for it or any certification or any of that. by any yes, i mean lion, fox, cougar, etc.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editoria ... afety.html

"Ontario is the only province that allows exotic pets without even the trouble of getting a permit, the Star’s Kate Allen and Wendy Gillis reported this week. "
http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editoria ... fety.html#
"Because Ontario is the only province with no laws specifically governing exotic animal ownership."
Please don't post information that is misleading and reckless. The province may not have regulations but most individual municipalities have their own by-laws. Furthermore, Ontario does regulate native species, such as foxes.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2368 posts
537 upvotes
Newmarket
Beachdown wrote:
Mar 25th, 2014 10:36 am
Please don't post information that is misleading and reckless. The province may not have regulations but most individual municipalities have their own by-laws. Furthermore, Ontario does regulate native species, such as foxes.
+1

one doesn't need to look far beyond ikea monkey case to figure out it's illegal in most cases, however if indeed Ontario doesn't regulate it than perhaps they should, there is absolutely no need to bring wild animals into the province except to be kept by highly specialized facilities like Toronto Zoo.

There is big money to be made in wild animals, and not only it is unethical but also potentially dangerous to local environment (think pythons killing local endangered animals in Florida )
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2368 posts
537 upvotes
Newmarket
activemom wrote:
Feb 14th, 2014 4:24 pm
In regards to owning a domesticated fox it is an actual possibility.
There are 2 main places (one in Russia, another in the States) that about 10 years ago decided to breed foxes for pelts for the fur industry. In an effort to make the foxes easier to handle they bred not only for the pelt but for the sweeter foxes. After a few generations the foxes started to have less valuable pelts - i.e some were permanently grey, white, black with patches, spots or combinations of unwanted colours. Basically not red. Their ears also didn't always end up erect as adults either. They did want to play and be petted though. So if you want a grey, dark grey, brown or some combination of those colours, have at least $5000.00 american dollars, are willing to wait on a waiting list and fill out the appropriate importation documents you can add a fox pup, juvenile or adult to your family.
While adorable looking, you cannot guarantee domestic behaviours just yet. Also there is a possibility of high inbreeding as well.
well yes, stupidity has no borders, glad the foxes turned grey making themselves less usable as coats but too bad they mellowed down so stupid morons can send animal abusers $5000.