• Sep 7th, 2017 4:11 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 26, 2017
66 posts
8 upvotes
mdl.tor wrote:
Sep 1st, 2017 3:40 pm
Uhhh, are you off your meds? You do realize you necro-bumped a 5+ year old post telling someone to calm down? Is this performance art?
i dont care if its a 5 year thread. you went off on something stupid as if he was asking to own a polar bear or a lion or something. calm down and go have 7 seats
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2294 posts
502 upvotes
Newmarket
anvil01 wrote:
Aug 23rd, 2017 7:24 pm
you need to calm down. a fox is not a polar bear or something. many ppl own them as pets. do a quick check on youtube. they are smarter than raccoons.
Not many people own foxes, in fact very few, and just because few own foxes doesn't mean anyone should, in the 21 first century most humans who are smarter than racoons understand that wild animals belong in the wild and not in homes, marinelands, circuses and such.
Apr 26, 2017
66 posts
8 upvotes
Homerhomer wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 12:31 pm
Not many people own foxes, in fact very few, and just because few own foxes doesn't mean anyone should, in the 21 first century most humans who are smarter than racoons understand that wild animals belong in the wild and not in homes, marinelands, circuses and such.
actually you're wrong. the only way "wild " animals are going to survive is if we domesticate and keep them as pets. do you know what the lifespan of a wild animal is, versus one that is kept as a pet? even domesticated cats, do you know what the lifespan of a wild street cat is versus one that is kept in home as a pet?

ppl like you are living in this fantasy world where you think everyone and everything is cinderella. fact is wild animals like foxes, cheetahs, etc. are hunted daily, die from infections, run over by humans, etc.
they're saying cheetahs are near extinction now. only way to save them is through domestication.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2294 posts
502 upvotes
Newmarket
anvil01 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 3:23 pm
actually you're wrong. the only way "wild " animals are going to survive is if we domesticate and keep them as pets. do you know what the lifespan of a wild animal is, versus one that is kept as a pet? even domesticated cats, do you know what the lifespan of a wild street cat is versus one that is kept in home as a pet?

ppl like you are living in this fantasy world where you think everyone and everything is cinderella. fact is wild animals like foxes, cheetahs, etc. are hunted daily, die from infections, run over by humans, etc.
they're saying cheetahs are near extinction now. only way to save them is through domestication.

You don't have any idea about people like me so that statement simply makes you sound not overly intelligent.

Obviously the animals in the wild have a shorter life span than pets or animals in the zoo, wilds do not get vet care when they get sick, do not starve, do not have to kill for food or be killed as food, are protected from other humans and so on, that's not a rocket science.
There are many cases of animals to became extinct, and one of the solutions is to keep them in enclosed and protected areas (not as pets), in most other cases the solution is not to make pets out of them but simply stop killing them and to stop destroying their natural habitat.
Apr 26, 2017
66 posts
8 upvotes
Homerhomer wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 4:21 pm
You don't have any idea about people like me so that statement simply makes you sound not overly intelligent.

Obviously the animals in the wild have a shorter life span than pets or animals in the zoo, wilds do not get vet care when they get sick, do not starve, do not have to kill for food or be killed as food, are protected from other humans and so on, that's not a rocket science.
There are many cases of animals to became extinct, and one of the solutions is to keep them in enclosed and protected areas (not as pets), in most other cases the solution is not to make pets out of them but simply stop killing them and to stop destroying their natural habitat.
ok and how many people have the money to build enclosures and protected areas for wild animals?

dude stop embarrassing yourself. i have done term papers on this topic, you are really in no position to try to argue with me here..

and i never said anything about zoo's, im not in favour of zoos, i am in favour of having wild animals as pets to ensure they're survival. once again you've gone back into your initial argument of a perfect world, yes of course it would be nice for humans to stop skinning them for fur, killing them, hunting them, etc. but wake up, thats not gonna happen, ever. so stop bringing up stupid arguments. i would love for the world to not have child molestors, but thats not gonna happen is it? you have to play with what you have, not with what you wish some imaginary wonderland where no animals get killed so don't tell me the solution is for humans to not kill them cus thats never, ever gonna happen.

domesticating , on the other hand, happens all the time.. dogs are wolves etc. to ensure the survival of wild cats, and other wild animals the only solution is to domesticate them and have them as pets.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4115 posts
1861 upvotes
Edmonton
anvil01 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 5:21 pm
ok and how many people have the money to build enclosures and protected areas for wild animals?

dude stop embarrassing yourself. i have done term papers on this topic, you are really in no position to try to argue with me here..

and i never said anything about zoo's, im not in favour of zoos, i am in favour of having wild animals as pets to ensure they're survival. once again you've gone back into your initial argument of a perfect world, yes of course it would be nice for humans to stop skinning them for fur, killing them, hunting them, etc. but wake up, thats not gonna happen, ever. so stop bringing up stupid arguments. i would love for the world to not have child molestors, but thats not gonna happen is it? you have to play with what you have, not with what you wish some imaginary wonderland where no animals get killed so don't tell me the solution is for humans to not kill them cus thats never, ever gonna happen.

domesticating , on the other hand, happens all the time.. dogs are wolves etc. to ensure the survival of wild cats, and other wild animals the only solution is to domesticate them and have them as pets.
This is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this site.

Most people can barely handle a dog or cat that's been domesticated over thousands of years. And you think they should be "domesticating" wild animals? I'm sure a tiger would go great in most GTA 1 bedroom condos... I mean, what can go wrong? It's just an oversized cat...

Roy
May 22, 2016
728 posts
94 upvotes
Ontario
Homerhomer wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 4:21 pm

I'd rather they be alive in a Zoo than killed by a poacher. There is so much hate towards Zoos but for many animals this is the only place they will be in 30 years.
Apr 26, 2017
66 posts
8 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 5:35 pm
This is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this site.

Most people can barely handle a dog or cat that's been domesticated over thousands of years. And you think they should be "domesticating" wild animals? I'm sure a tiger would go great in most GTA 1 bedroom condos... I mean, what can go wrong? It's just an oversized cat...

Roy
you're being completely ridiculous. who said anything about a tiger? we're talking about small wild animals, like foxes, caracals, etc.
and cheetahs, and other big cats shoudl also be domesticated, but obviously not in the city
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2294 posts
502 upvotes
Newmarket
anvil01 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 5:21 pm

congratulation on your papers, now good luck in real world, with your attitude you will need lots of it.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4115 posts
1861 upvotes
Edmonton
anvil01 wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 1:08 am
you're being completely ridiculous. who said anything about a tiger? we're talking about small wild animals, like foxes, caracals, etc.
and cheetahs, and other big cats shoudl also be domesticated, but obviously not in the city
You're the one that said "dogs are wolves"...

C
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2294 posts
502 upvotes
Newmarket
webshark wrote:
Sep 6th, 2017 11:56 pm
I'd rather they be alive in a Zoo than killed by a poacher. There is so much hate towards Zoos but for many animals this is the only place they will be in 30 years.
There are good zoos which provide a lot of good including taking active part in species survival, research and public education ( like TO zoo) and there are others which are nothing but animal abuse (like Bowmanville), and these deserve what they get.
Having animals in zoos and protected areas is obviously one of the solutions, and especially applies to critically endangered species, but there are others and we have many (although not enough) success stories to prove it. Just look at many animals like wolfs, moose or bisons that are back in the wild in Europe, small numbers but recovering, one only has to look at the actual stories and not worry about one student papers to see what solutions work.

Back to the topic, foxes in Ontario despite their shrinking habitat in southern Ontario are not endangered, red foxes are wide spread, grey foxes are threatened but not yet endangered. A thought of having them as pets is simply utterly idiotic. Hopefully we will not get to the point where animals like foxes will have to be in protected enclosures to protect them from extinction.
Also whole pet trade has nothing to do with animals welfare, in many cases the cute animals are snatched from the wild at the very young age with mother killed, there is nothing wrong with sticking to cats, dogs and fish.
Wild animals as pets is a terrible idea no matter how you slice it.
Apr 26, 2017
66 posts
8 upvotes
Homerhomer wrote:
Sep 7th, 2017 9:00 am
There are good zoos which provide a lot of good including taking active part in species survival, research and public education ( like TO zoo) and there are others which are nothing but animal abuse (like Bowmanville), and these deserve what they get.
Having animals in zoos and protected areas is obviously one of the solutions, and especially applies to critically endangered species, but there are others and we have many (although not enough) success stories to prove it. Just look at many animals like wolfs, moose or bisons that are back in the wild in Europe, small numbers but recovering, one only has to look at the actual stories and not worry about one student papers to see what solutions work.

Back to the topic, foxes in Ontario despite their shrinking habitat in southern Ontario are not endangered, red foxes are wide spread, grey foxes are threatened but not yet endangered. A thought of having them as pets is simply utterly idiotic. Hopefully we will not get to the point where animals like foxes will have to be in protected enclosures to protect them from extinction.
Also whole pet trade has nothing to do with animals welfare, in many cases the cute animals are snatched from the wild at the very young age with mother killed, there is nothing wrong with sticking to cats, dogs and fish.
Wild animals as pets is a terrible idea no matter how you slice it.
so here you go again with the fairy tale world. i ask you again, how many ppl do you know who have the money to build protected sancuatries for wild animals? are you alright or you just trolling? you keep bringing up these peter pan magical fairy tale theories about building enclosures that no one can afford and talking about "just leave them alone" which will never happen. humans are evil, they will always hunt, kill, skin wild animals alive. can you get that through your head?

the only way to ensure the survival of wild animals like foxes, cheetahs, caracals, bobcats, etc. is to domesticate them through ownership as pets. cheetahs are near extinction, foxes are being skinned by your designer companies like gucci etc.

if wild animals were kept as pets our entire culture /attitude towards them would change. think about the outrage if ppl found out gucci was skinning cats and dogs, vs cows. we nurture cats and dogs more than other wild animals because they're seen as pets.