Shopping Discussion

Can I bring filled gas can back from US?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 27th, 2013 1:28 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1778 posts
191 upvotes
North Vancouver

Can I bring filled gas can back from US?

price difference is 0.40/L now :o , Can I bring filled gas can back from US?
46 replies
Dec 14, 2010
331 posts
19 upvotes
Burnaby
ecgz88 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2011 7:37 pm

Do some shopping at Cost Cutter at Blaine on the way back and get one of their gas cards for the station down the street. I went to pick up some Tillamook cheese (sweet sweet Tillamook) and it happened to be part of their "get x cents off a gallon of gas to a max of 15 gallons" promotion. By way of picking up something I was already in there for, it saved me an extra 20 cents a gallon. Not too bad.

On a side note...why is pop so expensive there? 8 bucks+tax & deposit for a 12 can pack of Cherry Coke? Even Bellingham Wal-Mart's usually never lower than $6 or $7. Is there a junk food tax/surcharge or something in Washington State?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2005
5887 posts
104 upvotes
ecgz88 wrote:

sure
images are not permitted in sigs
Oct 13, 2008
358 posts
26 upvotes
Calgary
It's subject to duty and tax when you bring it across. It it really still worth it?
Jan 4, 2011
100 posts
46 upvotes
ecgz88 wrote:

Failure to immediately declare the full, retail value of all purchases, including gasoline, is a serious crime and a fraudulant misrepresentation. You will be immediately strip-searched, arrested, finger-printed, jailed, fined, and black-listed at all border crossings for the rest of your natural life.

Oh, wait: that's only for returning items without a receipt :-)

Actually, I checked here http://www.woodalls.com/articledetails. ... ID=1210087 and found this:

"Any gasoline or oil imported, beyond the normal capacity of your vehicle, is subject to duty. "

There might be an issue if the can does not meet both US and Canadian standards for gasoline storage, but I would think they are both pretty much equivalent.

"When transporting gasoline in a portable container make sure it is secured against tipping and sliding, and never leave it in direct sunlight or in the trunk of a car."

(http://www.api.org/aboutoilgas/energysa ... e-pump.cfm)
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2003
2428 posts
278 upvotes
Only the gas that's inside your vehicle's gas tank is not subject to duties/taxes.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
4900 posts
825 upvotes
BC
ecgz88 wrote:
price difference is 0.40/L now, Can I bring filled gas can back from US?
Phantasio wrote:
Jan 10th, 2011 8:27 pm
On a side note...why is pop so expensive there?

Is it really worth carrying a smelly 10L can of gas to save a few cents after paying duty?

I don't think so.

Maximize your savings in other ways by smart shopping (dairy products as already mentioned,
things you just can't buy in Canada like that Tilamook cheese - and Tilamook butter).

Always be aware that lots of groceries are more expensive in Washington state, like cereals, and other packaged goods.
Could be that popular and convenience items (like Pop) in the U.S. are priced based on strong demand, whereas in Canada it has to be priced to seduce health-conscious consumers.
Oct 8, 2010
67 posts
1 upvote
Quebec
When I went to the States, we (one full bus) stopped at the little boutique right in front of Ambassador Bridge. The guide said that duties and taxes will be charged for stuff purchased (don't remember full details), but also added that "just throw away your receipts, who the heck knows whether that tablet of chocolate is purchased there".
Jan 4, 2011
100 posts
46 upvotes
TheBlue wrote:
Jan 10th, 2011 10:55 pm
When I went to the States ... The guide said "just throw away your receipts, who the heck knows whether that tablet of chocolate is purchased there".
Failure to immediately declare the full, retail value of all purchases, including chocolate, is a serious crime and a fraudulant ... ah, screw it.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2006
3413 posts
274 upvotes
Downtown Canada
macnut wrote:
Jan 10th, 2011 10:29 pm
Maximize your savings in other ways by smart shopping (dairy products as already mentioned,
things you just can't buy in Canada like that Tilamook cheese - and Tilamook butter).

How do you milk a Tilamook, anyway?
:cool:
Jun 30, 2008
219 posts
7 upvotes
Burnaby
ecgz88 wrote:

Yes, just declare it by saying "filled up on gas" if asked what you are bringing back..

Gas is cheaper on the truck crossing side than the peace arch side.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
184 upvotes
Surrey
pepper3245 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2011 11:36 pm
Yes, just declare it by saying "filled up on gas" if asked what you are bringing back..

Gas is cheaper on the truck crossing side than the peace arch side.

Actually, I've found that the gas stations on D Street (the Shell and USA Gas and others, near the old Denny's and the new Roundabout onto the I-5/Peace Arch crossing) is cheaper. The Shell is typically 1-2c/gal more expensive than USA gas, but has a pretty good price on its milk and butter.

Mmm...Tillamook. :-)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6347 posts
777 upvotes
40 cents a L?

are you sure? I went to buffalo and it's 3.20 a gallon = 0.84/L USD x 1.03 currency/credit = 0.87/L

Is it really half the price different east cost vs west coast?
Dec 14, 2010
331 posts
19 upvotes
Burnaby
EPcjay wrote:
Jan 11th, 2011 4:58 pm
40 cents a L?

are you sure? I went to buffalo and it's 3.20 a gallon = 0.84/L USD x 1.03 currency/credit = 0.87/L

Is it really half the price different east cost vs west coast?

Yeah, sadly it is...we're paying around $4.80 Canadian per US gallon here in the city of Vancouver (approx $1.20/L) though some of the surrounding areas like Aldergrove (about 45 min drive away) are up to 20 cents cheaper.

$3.20 sounds about right for a price per gallon just across the border in WA State too, though if you're on a shopping trip and drive 20 miles south to one of the shopping malls down there, gas in the surrounding area tends to be closer to $3 a gallon.

Keeping in mind that the dollar's at par now, it's a difference of about $0.45c per litre now.
× < >