Shopping Discussion

Can I bring vegetables/fruits from US to Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2010 12:58 am
Tags:
None
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9179 posts
382 upvotes
Markham
I can't find the link, but most of these are fine, especially if they are products of the United States.

Canada doesn't generally have many restrictions on that kind of import. However it must be declared.
:lol:
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2010
1307 posts
55 upvotes
Burlington
Hairball wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2010 11:44 am

Canada doesn't generally have many restrictions on that kind of import. However it must be declared.
Basically just declare everything, unless you have something really exotic or illegal they'll just confiscate it and send you on your way.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1751 posts
186 upvotes
North Vancouver
my friend bought peach from US Costco, and border officer told him to dump to the garbage. :o

the website is so mess up, they just put all documents in there.
Hairball wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2010 11:44 am
I can't find the link, but most of these are fine, especially if they are products of the United States.

Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
4740 posts
744 upvotes
BC
Most U.S. supermarkets near the border have helpful signs attached to each product display,
indicating whether or not they can be taken into Canada.

At least in my experience, such as Market Place stores:

http://www.marketplacefood.com/locations.html

(There are more forbidden items than you might expect.)
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
19880 posts
1518 upvotes
NO CITRUS!!!

(Most other groceries are acceptable though.)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9179 posts
382 upvotes
Markham
Since the CBSA website changed, they seem to have removed the page with a good summary on the food you can bring in, but here's an archive page:
http://web.archive.org/web/200807311052 ... i-eng.html

Are citrus fruits considered tropical fruits? If so you can bring 250 kg per person. Eat your heart out. :D :D
:lol:
Deal Addict
May 18, 2004
2494 posts
121 upvotes
i'm curious to why you would take fruits from the US into canada to begin with?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7626 posts
161 upvotes
Montreal
The_Madz wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2010 11:49 am
i'm curious to why you would take fruits from the US into canada to begin with?
maybe it's cheaper? i know some exotic fruits over here are cheaper to buy than in the US. everytime my uncle and aunt come to visit, they are always trying to bring back fruits but they always get caught :lol:
have you seen boxing day? if you have any infos that can help us locate him, please contact us @ 1‒800‒867‒5309

(V)^,,,,^(V) woop woop woop woop woop
flashy_mcflash wrote:
Mar 19th, 2012 3:17 pm
haha. Though seriously, what a ridiculous year for CG to be trendy. If there was one year NOT to spend $600 on a coat, it was this winter.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2004
2494 posts
121 upvotes
the_fm wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2010 11:56 am
maybe it's cheaper? i know some exotic fruits over here are cheaper to buy than in the US. everytime my uncle and aunt come to visit, they are always trying to bring back fruits but they always get caught :lol:
yeah but seriously, it's fruit, what do you save? $1? $2?
not to mention i'm always pretty skeptical of anything food in the states since their laws are a bit different in terms of what they can and cannot do on their farms.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
19880 posts
1518 upvotes
The_Madz wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2010 12:03 pm
yeah but seriously, it's fruit, what do you save? $1? $2?
not to mention i'm always pretty skeptical of anything food in the states since their laws are a bit different in terms of what they can and cannot do on their farms.
If you go grocery shopping in the US, you're likely going to see all this stuff there for sale, so you would probably buy it as if you were shopping at a local grocery store. That's why you would be buying it. However if you don't know something can't be imported, you will be in for a surprise at the border.

As for the laws in the US, yeah tell that to all the fruit you buy in grocery stores here that's from California, Florida, etc. LOL.
Dec 19, 2004
19 posts
Vancouver
The Customs Agent made me throw away a 10 lb bag of potatoes. Potatoes are considered as fruit! Unfortunately, I knew a 10 lb bag of "U.S." potatoes was allowed (I found some reference on the Customs web site) but I didn't have a hard copy to show the agent. I will next time!
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
3350 posts
65 upvotes
I just came back from NYC 2 days ago and the answer is no Fruits and Vegie (US-to-CAN and CAN-to-US)
2010 Rig: i7 930 @ 2.8Ghz, 6GB DDR3 G.Skill 1600, 256GB SSD, 1TB WB Black, R280C, Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, Thermaltake S-Spin H/S, Corsair HX650W, CM Scout Case, 2x LG Flatron W2343V,Win7 Ultimate 64bit
× < >