Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6601 posts
934 upvotes

Can I change my own muffler?

I need a new muffler. Car is a Honda Accord.

I have never installed a muffler before, so how difficult is it so someone who is not a mechanic?

Basically I bought some ramps and today I inspected the muffler and it looks like I just have to unscrew where it joins and install new muffler? Or do I need to change the entire pipe, thats like 10feet long LOL?

And how much would a shop quote vs doing it myself...is the savings worth it?

Many thanks.

EDIT - Are mufflers usually welded on at the pipe? In that case I dont really want to cut anything and reweld...
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 2, 2008
9489 posts
860 upvotes
JohnB wrote:
May 5th, 2012 4:02 pm
I need a new muffler. Car is a Honda Accord.

I have never installed a muffler before, so how difficult is it so someone who is not a mechanic?

Basically I bought some ramps and today I inspected the muffler and it looks like I just have to unscrew where it joins and install new muffler? Or do I need to change the entire pipe, thats like 10feet long LOL?

And how much would a shop quote vs doing it myself...is the savings worth it?

Many thanks.

EDIT - Are mufflers usually welded on at the pipe? In that case I dont really want to cut anything and reweld...

Louder is better
May 8, 2007
566 posts
105 upvotes
I've got an older Accord and recently replaced my muffler, I used a non-chain local muffler shop and it only cost $110, the muffler alone probably would have cost me $60 so for an extra $50 it saved me a huge amount of do-it-yourself headache. Actually I got a used muffler from a scrapyard and had started doing it myself but the job is harder than it looks, unless you're experienced with car work.

If my Accord is something like yours, the muffler can be hard to get at because the car is low. You might be able to do it if just the muffler needs to be replaced and the other pipe sections are OK and I think that's the usual situation. But in my case the muffler was rusted onto the clamp and maybe was originally attached with welding, so they had to use a welding torch to remove it. I'm not sure if the new one is attached by welding.

I've used Midas before and no problem, I owned a previous car a long time and they gave me 2 very low-cost replacements (about $10) because they had a lifetime guarantee.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
2820 posts
175 upvotes
The muffler is usually joined by two bolts to the midpipe; the rest is just rubber hangers. Those two bolts are usually rusted beyond what you expect though and will be a pain in the arse to get off. If you can get them off...then yes go ahead and do it yourself. Don't forget to use a gasket to avoid leaks.
:arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :arrow: :arrowu: :arrowd: :cheesygri :eek:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6601 posts
934 upvotes
Thanks guys for the advice and comments and advice...if it was around $110 ball-park Id bring it to a shop.
Aug 24, 2006
95 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
001Stunna wrote:
May 5th, 2012 4:53 pm
The muffler is usually joined by two bolts to the midpipe; the rest is just rubber hangers. Those two bolts are usually rusted beyond what you expect though and will be a pain in the arse to get off. If you can get them off...then yes go ahead and do it yourself. Don't forget to use a gasket to avoid leaks.
How old is your car OP? Usually, if the muffler needs to be changed b/c of rust, these two bolts Stunna is talking have been fused together by the rust a long time ago. You can use a grinder to cut them off though. In some models, the fitting is done with one pipe fitting in a (widened) part of the other and tightened with a U-bolt (a bolt bent so it looks like a U). Taking the two pieces of pipe apart will also be a BIG pain. :S U will likely (but not necessarily) have to cut at least a bolt or two if not the pipe...

As for the muffler itself, I'd recommend you buy one custom made for your car. The "generic" ones usually don't have the proper hooks to attach to those rubber hangers so having them welded on might bring the cost to a point higher than the headache is worth.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5722 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
001Stunna has got it right, the biggest problem is getting the bolts off, trust me, is the car is more than a few years old it will be welded together by the constant heat.

Really what you'd need to do it cut the bolts off, but first put a socket on both ends of the connector, and turn until they snap, the noise will be loud but it's easier to do while attached to the car. The you'll need to cut the bolt, it's not tough really, cut pick up a cheap rotary tool(see link), and a bunch of cut off discs(you'll break a bunch), turn up the RPM, wear eye protection, and go nuts.

When you put it back together(just ask CT what you'll need, should just be the muffler, the specific nuts and bolts for your car, and the gasket)

Put it together tightly, not with all your might, but with enough that the gasket is well and truly secured, otherwise your exhaust may leak and you'll notice the noise.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, make sure ALL of the old gasket material is gone, use the rotary tool if you need to, or pry it out another way.

You'll kinda learn as you go, that's what I did last year on my Civic.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6 ... ?locale=en
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ***** ?"
"Your comments seem to be r ectal plucks." Pete_Coach

HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
× < >