Personal Finance

Can I claim chiropractor expenses on tax return?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2007 11:43 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2005
1488 posts

Can I claim chiropractor expenses on tax return?

I'm filling in my tax forms and was wondering if I can claim my chiropractor expenses? I've been looking all over the ccra website but couldn't find the info. Can anyone clear this up for me?
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9099 posts
216 upvotes
Yes, you can.

'3. For purposes of the medical expense and disability tax credits under sections 118.2 and 118.3, subsection 118.4(2) provides that a reference to a medical practitioner, dentist, pharmacist, nurse or optometrist means a person who is authorized to practice as such according to the following laws:

(a) for a service rendered to an individual, the laws of the jurisdiction in which the service is rendered;

(b) for a certificate issued for an individual, the laws of the jurisdiction in which the individual resides or of a province; and

(c) for a prescription issued to an individual, the laws of the jurisdiction in which the individual resides, of a province or of the jurisdiction in which the prescription is filled.

Medical practitioners authorized to practice in accordance with the above laws can include (depending on the applicable province or jurisdiction, as the case may be) the following:

(i) an osteopath;

(ii) a chiropractor;

(iii) a naturopath;

(iv) a therapeutist (or therapist);

(v) a physiotherapist;

(vi) a chiropodist (or podiatrist);

(vii) a Christian Science practitioner;

(viii) a psychoanalyst who is a member of the Canadian Institute of Psychoanalysis or a member of the Quebec Association of Jungian Psychoanalysts;

(ix) a psychologist;

(x) a qualified speech-language pathologist or audiologist such as, for example, a person who is certified as such by The Canadian Association of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists (CASLPA) or a provincial affiliate of that organization;

(xi) an occupational therapist who is a member of the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists;

(xii) an acupuncturist;

(xiii) a dietician; and

(xiv) a dental hygienist.'

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tp/it519 ... P180_27734

'What medical expenses can I claim?

The most common medical expenses you can claim are:

Payments to a medical professional (including doctor, dentist, nurse, optometrist, osteopath, naturopath, physiotherapist, psychoanalyst, psychologist, chiropractor, acupuncturist, or Christian Science practitioner); '

http://quicktax.intuit.ca/tax-software/top_faq.jsp
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2005
1488 posts
Thanks.

Another question came up after I posted. Do I attach a copy of the reciepts to the fed tax forms?

I'm still old-school when submitting my forms
Jun 7, 2006
34 posts
If you are paper filing your return (i.e. mailing it in the old-fashioned way), then yes, you are supposed to attach your receipts. Although if I were you, I'd make copies just in case CRA loses them and decides to audit you later (it's happened to people to I know).
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1842 posts
86 upvotes
can we also claim prescription drugs?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
6416 posts
566 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Just remember you can only claim the portion paid from your pocket. If part of it is paid through insurance and OHIP, you cannot claim that portion.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
6416 posts
566 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
myapple wrote:
Feb 20th, 2007 3:18 pm
can we also claim prescription drugs?
Yes you can. Again only if you paid for it out of your pocket and were not reimbursed for it through insurance plan.
Feb 4, 2007
931 posts
7 upvotes
You can claim mostly anything paid for medical expenses including your premiums on your health plan. You don't have to attach the receipts, as outlined in the guide, but you will need to keep them in case the agency asks for them.
Feb 19, 2006
164 posts
1 upvote
I didnt know that we could claim the premium on health. Would you happen to know if medical expenses can be claimed for the previous year prior to 2005,that is 2004. thnx
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2005
3237 posts
18 upvotes
You can only claim health premiums on private insurance, not your provincial health insurance plan (except Quebec it seems). From the Quicktax link above:
Premiums paid under the Qu
× < >