Cell Phones

Can I flash my galaxy s8+ with Canadian CSC?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 1st, 2018 12:15 am
Aug 3, 2014
145 posts
95 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON

Can I flash my galaxy s8+ with Canadian CSC?

Hi all. it's first time to post so please let me know if I'm ruining something here.

I recently bought galaxy s8+ from Ebay(wireless.canada) formerly Verizon locked but I think the seller already flash it with Unlocked firmware.(it says SM-955U) but when I try to check System Update from Settings, it denies with the message "Sorry, we are having trouble authentication your device. Try again later."

I'll contact the seller about what is this message means, but guessing because the phone isn't with Verizon sim.

so I tried to google how to flash the firmware to Canadian version, specifically Koodo but I only can find this thread from xda.
(https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpo ... ostcount=3)

they only have a list for US company's CSC code.

so my question is,

1. Does anyone know about why am I getting an error message when I try to check System Update?

2. Does anyone succeed to flash S8+ to other carrier?

Thank you all.
21 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22155 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
Confirm the model # in download mode before flashing anything. Flashing incorrect firmware could soft or hard brick the phone.

Since the Verizon version would be CDMA, I don't think you can flash a Canadian CSC. Even if you did, it would not receive OTA updates since this model was never sold in Canada.

Odin will not allow cross-flashing stock firmware.
Aug 3, 2014
145 posts
95 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
audit13 wrote: Confirm the model # in download mode before flashing anything. Flashing incorrect firmware could soft or hard brick the phone.

Since the Verizon version would be CDMA, I don't think you can flash a Canadian CSC. Even if you did, it would not receive OTA updates since this model was never sold in Canada.

Odin will not allow cross-flashing stock firmware.
Thank you for your answer.

the reason why I considered it could be possible was I thought I saw somewhere in RFD on s8+ deal thread but it might be misunderstood or something.

but it's really confusing because the seller posted it's Verizon locked cellphone but unlocked, and on my phone itself saying the model number is SM-G955U(USA Unlocked), not SM-G955V(Verizon Locked). but it comes with Verizon bloat wares...
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
1572 posts
1128 upvotes
GTA
Say goodbye to your s8, if you flash it wrong.
F&F
Freedom $32/53gb
Fido $40/75gb + 30gb bonus = 105gb
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22155 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
You need to confirm the model in download mode. Do not trust what you see under the ROM settings -->About.
Aug 3, 2014
145 posts
95 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
smgksa wrote: Say goodbye to your s8, if you flash it wrong.
I'm not that tough enough, so I didn't try anything yet.
audit13 wrote: You need to confirm the model in download mode. Do not trust what you see under the ROM settings -->About.
Thank you. I'll check it.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2017
1222 posts
479 upvotes
Changing Samsung Phone Info to another provider
Samsung S4, S5, S6, S7, S8, S8+ and the Note 3,4,5 and 8 all support world frequencies. The carriers do not list this on their websites as they do not wish a) people to jump carriers or b) people to buy phones outright for another provider resulting in stock being depleted.

Off the shelf, the S6 will not support LTE as this band has been crippled at Wind's request. If you decide to switch carriers, what you'll want to do is access the Samsung CSC menu and overwrite the boot ROM to support the carrier you will be using it on. To do this follow these steps:

1) From your dial screen, type in *#06# to display your IMEI number and make note of it.
2) From your dial screen, type *#272*[your imei number]# and this will bring up a carrier list.
3) Carrier list is denoted by 3 letters so for Canada the codes are:
GLW = Globalive Wireless (Freedom Mobile), TLS = Telus, BWC = Bell Wireless Corp and RWS = Rogers Wireless Service
KDO = Koodo and for Virgin use BWC and FIDO = RWC (Rogers)
4) Select the 3 digit code corresponding to the new carrier and click install.

Prior to following the above steps, make sure the phone is backed up as it will factory wipe the device and install the new carrier ROM. This will enable the modems for that carrier (example: LTE) and will brand your phone with the bloatware from that carrier such as My Account apps, and TV apps etc...
Aug 3, 2014
145 posts
95 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
wonderwhy wrote: Changing Samsung Phone Info to another provider
Samsung S4, S5, S6, S7, S8, S8+ and the Note 3,4,5 and 8 all support world frequencies. The carriers do not list this on their websites as they do not wish a) people to jump carriers or b) people to buy phones outright for another provider resulting in stock being depleted.

Off the shelf, the S6 will not support LTE as this band has been crippled at Wind's request. If you decide to switch carriers, what you'll want to do is access the Samsung CSC menu and overwrite the boot ROM to support the carrier you will be using it on. To do this follow these steps:

1) From your dial screen, type in *#06# to display your IMEI number and make note of it.
2) From your dial screen, type *#272*[your imei number]# and this will bring up a carrier list.
3) Carrier list is denoted by 3 letters so for Canada the codes are:
GLW = Globalive Wireless (Freedom Mobile), TLS = Telus, BWC = Bell Wireless Corp and RWS = Rogers Wireless Service
KDO = Koodo and for Virgin use BWC and FIDO = RWC (Rogers)
4) Select the 3 digit code corresponding to the new carrier and click install.

Prior to following the above steps, make sure the phone is backed up as it will factory wipe the device and install the new carrier ROM. This will enable the modems for that carrier (example: LTE) and will brand your phone with the bloatware from that carrier such as My Account apps, and TV apps etc...
Thank you for Posting.

I tried to follow steps what you mentioned.

but, when I tried to check imei numbers, error code says "Connection Problem or invalid MMI code".

now I'm worrying about are they selling a legit phone? lol..

I've sent a message to seller about how to get newer system update with this phone.

will see should I keep it or return it..

Thank you. Happy New Year!
Deal Addict
May 20, 2017
1222 posts
479 upvotes
Could be counterfeit phone, that why you get error messages, I flash many Samsung phone without issues
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22155 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
If you can boot the phone into download/Odin mode, highly unlikely that it's counterfeit.

So dialing *#06# gives an error message?
Aug 3, 2014
145 posts
95 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
wonderwhy wrote: Could be counterfeit phone, that why you get error messages, I flash many Samsung phone without issues
audit13 wrote: If you can boot the phone into download/Odin mode, highly unlikely that it's counterfeit.

So dialing *#06# gives an error message?
Yup. *#06# and *#272*[your imei number]#(I tried with the imei number on Settings) both of them saying "Connection Problem or invalid MMI code".

I don't know how can they sell counterfeit phones on the main screen of Ebay.ca. just contacted to the seller to return it but I don't think the seller respond it in soon since it's holiday.

thank you for your advices.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22155 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
No download mode either? Sim doesn't work in the phone?
Aug 3, 2014
145 posts
95 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
audit13 wrote: No download mode either? Sim doesn't work in the phone?
sim was working, but I don't feel safe and TMS has better deal for s8+ so just decide to return it.
Aug 3, 2014
145 posts
95 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
Thanks all,

I didn't expect but the seller accepted the return today.

I'll just send it back to the seller.

don't know will I buy another phone from ebay or not lol
Deal Addict
May 20, 2017
1222 posts
479 upvotes
buy from RFD much better meet people in person, 8+ is nice phone, I bought mine in August here, love it
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
wonderwhy wrote: buy from RFD much better meet people in person, 8+ is nice phone, I bought mine in August here, love it
Since OP is in GTA then yes, RFD BST is a good idea. Also, TMS or other dealers may have smashing deals, often better than eBay.

I'm selling phones on eBay now. But what OP has described as their experience totally warrants a return.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
May 20, 2017
1222 posts
479 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: Since OP is in GTA then yes, RFD BST is a good idea. Also, TMS or other dealers may have smashing deals, often better than eBay.

I'm selling phones on eBay now. But what OP has described as their experience totally warrants a return.
Please don't get wrong, not all Ebayer are bad but RFD can meet in person and check the phone , like it buy or pass it
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
wonderwhy wrote: Please don't get wrong, not all Ebayer are bad but RFD can meet in person and check the phone , like it buy or pass it
Agreed. I mostly sell phones on Kijiji and LetGo. No issues there except for the tire kickers. eBay auctions weeds out the tire kickers and is no hassle.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
May 20, 2017
1222 posts
479 upvotes
why you don't sell here at RFD, Kijiji been flag and peep pass, know scam sites
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
wonderwhy wrote: why you don't sell here at RFD, Kijiji been flag and peep pass, know scam sites
Because not everyone lives in the GTA. Until RFD sets up location filters for BST, selling on RFD BST is mostly pointless if you're not based out of GTA.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)