Personal Finance

Can I get away without getting CCB?

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2018 10:08 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Oct 12, 2015
75 posts
22 upvotes

Can I get away without getting CCB?

The title is likely misleading. So here's the background: We applied for CCB promptly and got a response in the mail asking a lot of redundant questions about our lives - roughly 20 questions (3 pages). These include things such as when we became pr, citizen, landing date, income over the last 4 years, miscellaneous tax information, and the list goes on. I've been in this country more than 15 years and it just irked me to be asked these kinds of questions. I would have to dig up A LOT of files from the closet to answer these questions. I've been audited (CRA) multiple times in the last 6 years so it's not like they don't have all this information already verified. This is our first born if that makes a difference.

What I want to know: if I simply don't get CCB, will this affect my and/or my wife's tax returns in a positive way? Such that we'd get a better return because they didn't pay us CCB?

Before you say it, yes I know, I'm just too lazy to answer questions that in my humble opinion should be available/accessible to whoever is in charge at the maa'faa gov... /sigh
13 replies
Newbie
Aug 2, 2018
34 posts
32 upvotes
sajjad365 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 11:44 am
The title is likely misleading. So here's the background: We applied for CCB promptly and got a response in the mail asking a lot of redundant questions about our lives - roughly 20 questions (3 pages). These include things such as when we became pr, citizen, landing date, income over the last 4 years, miscellaneous tax information, and the list goes on. I've been in this country more than 15 years and it just irked me to be asked these kinds of questions. I would have to dig up A LOT of files from the closet to answer these questions. I've been audited (CRA) multiple times in the last 6 years so it's not like they don't have all this information already verified. This is our first born if that makes a difference.

What I want to know: if I simply don't get CCB, will this affect my and/or my wife's tax returns in a positive way? Such that we'd get a better return because they didn't pay us CCB?

Before you say it, yes I know, I'm just too lazy to answer questions that in my humble opinion should be available/accessible to whoever is in charge at the maa'faa gov... /sigh
It is a standard questionnaire to determine your eligibility, like everyone else. I did it, too.

Getting CCB or not does not affect your wife's return - it is no longer a taxable income.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2016
1810 posts
758 upvotes
Houston, TX
sajjad365 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 11:44 am
The title is likely misleading. So here's the background: We applied for CCB promptly and got a response in the mail asking a lot of redundant questions about our lives - roughly 20 questions (3 pages). These include things such as when we became pr, citizen, landing date, income over the last 4 years, miscellaneous tax information, and the list goes on. I've been in this country more than 15 years and it just irked me to be asked these kinds of questions. I would have to dig up A LOT of files from the closet to answer these questions. I've been audited (CRA) multiple times in the last 6 years so it's not like they don't have all this information already verified. This is our first born if that makes a difference.

What I want to know: if I simply don't get CCB, will this affect my and/or my wife's tax returns in a positive way? Such that we'd get a better return because they didn't pay us CCB?

Before you say it, yes I know, I'm just too lazy to answer questions that in my humble opinion should be available/accessible to whoever is in charge at the maa'faa gov... /sigh
You forgot this "peoplekind" issue... A female parent get this CCB kinda automatically, but for male one you need a consent from another one...gender equality, eh?
Make the Trudeau drama teacher again!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 4, 2005
5156 posts
346 upvotes
Ottawa
I got a similar questionnaire and was equally annoyed. But the request may have one specific question at the start. We just submitted the answer to that(I think via mycra) and it went through. The ask is so confusing but maybe scan your request here and black out the confidential details.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 9, 2012
1686 posts
644 upvotes
Kitchener
asa1973 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 12:43 pm
You forgot this "peoplekind" issue... A female parent get this CCB kinda automatically, but for male one you need a consent from another one...gender equality, eh?
HA! And it's so, so, wrong. I got remarried, so the wife (ex-wife, that is) was getting the CTB during our marriage. That's fine. We split, and my one child qualified for the Disability Child Benefit, and the retro payments went to the divorced step-mom that has ZERO to do with the kids, including no child support. Did she offer to give it to me? Nope. Fighting with the CRA right now to try to get it, but I'm getting little traction.

Woman what equal rights, which is fine, except when it affects them negatively.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1292 posts
344 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sajjad365 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 11:44 am
The title is likely misleading. So here's the background: We applied for CCB promptly and got a response in the mail asking a lot of redundant questions about our lives - roughly 20 questions (3 pages). These include things such as when we became pr, citizen, landing date, income over the last 4 years, miscellaneous tax information, and the list goes on. I've been in this country more than 15 years and it just irked me to be asked these kinds of questions. I would have to dig up A LOT of files from the closet to answer these questions. I've been audited (CRA) multiple times in the last 6 years so it's not like they don't have all this information already verified.
You gave the CRA your PR date, landing date, and citizen ship date before? I doubt you did the last of those, as that's not relevant to the CRA (except for this), you just need to be a legal resident.
This is our first born if that makes a difference.
They wouldn't ask again for a second child.

What I want to know: if I simply don't get CCB, will this affect my and/or my wife's tax returns in a positive way? Such that we'd get a better return because they didn't pay us CCB?

Before you say it, yes I know, I'm just too lazy to answer questions that in my humble opinion should be available/accessible to whoever is in charge at the maa'faa gov... /sigh
[/quote]

Why would you give up government money? You're already paying taxes.

I get that you're angry, but take a deep breath and answer the letter. To be perfectly honest, if you can prove you were a citizen the day before you had the child, you'll still get the full CCB. You probably made a mistake when applying. There's a question where they ask if you've been a citizen for a year... the answer is yes, even though you may have been a citizen for 12 years, 15 years, or your entire life.

If you don't apply for CCB then the CRA doesn't know you have a child. If you want to claim your child's medical bills, you will have to prove you are taking care of the child. If you want to claim your child's tuition transfer, they'll say ... "that's your kid"? If you become a single parent for some reason, you will have trouble claiming the dependent amount, because the CRA doesn't know you have a kid.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9440 posts
549 upvotes
Muskoka
Another way to look at it would be, what is your household income? CCB is zero by around $160k combined income, so point dealing with hassle. Maybe play with the CCB calculator to see how much you will get.
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Oct 12, 2015
75 posts
22 upvotes
Bullseye wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 7:20 am
Another way to look at it would be, what is your household income? CCB is zero by around $160k combined income, so point dealing with hassle. Maybe play with the CCB calculator to see how much you will get.
Close but not quiet. And incomes can change in a moment's notice. I suppose once we're registered, they can adjust the payment from time to time.
FoFai2015 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 11:10 pm
If you don't apply for CCB then the CRA doesn't know you have a child. If you want to claim your child's medical bills, you will have to prove you are taking care of the child. If you want to claim your child's tuition transfer, they'll say ... "that's your kid"? If you become a single parent for some reason, you will have trouble claiming the dependent amount, because the CRA doesn't know you have a kid.
I wasn't angry, just irritated to fill out more paperwork because all this information should be available to them. I took this whole "information moving to the cloud" too literally. Anyways, your last statement is clutch. Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9440 posts
549 upvotes
Muskoka
sajjad365 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 12:38 pm
Close but not quiet. And incomes can change in a moment's notice. I suppose once we're registered, they can adjust the payment from time to time.
It is based on previous years income, so only changes once a year in July
Member
User avatar
Jan 15, 2017
469 posts
205 upvotes
Bullseye wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 7:20 am
Another way to look at it would be, what is your household income? CCB is zero by around $160k combined income, so point dealing with hassle. Maybe play with the CCB calculator to see how much you will get.
Depends on how many kids you have.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 9, 2012
1686 posts
644 upvotes
Kitchener
sajjad365 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 12:38 pm
Close but not quite. And incomes can change in a moment's notice. I suppose once we're registered, they can adjust the payment from time to time.
The CRA adjusts payments every July thru June pay period, based on your family income. So for payments this July 2018 thru to June 2019, are based on your 2017 income. IIRC, this is line 236 if your income tax return.

You can use this calculator to see how much you will get:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... lator.html

If you're getting a really small sum, perhaps it's not worth it to you right now, but things change. My dentist got really sick and had net income (before taxes though) of around $18,000 for the year (family income). They had no idea of the CCB, and other credits. So I was helping them a bit with that, and I do believe they ended up with a new accountant because the accountant should have been filing all this stuff out for them. I estimated that they'd probably get close to $20,000 or more based on their income over those times of low income. Tax-free at that.

BTW: Confused why the CRA would ask about your income, they should have it all in their own files.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1292 posts
344 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If the CRA thinks you weren't in Canada (because you filled out the form wrong), then they need to know what your income was when you were outside of Canada.

(As the OP was in Canada the whole time, the answer is $0, or not relevant.)
Newbie
May 17, 2018
46 posts
9 upvotes
I was born here, and my wife has been a citizen for nearly 20 years. They still sent us the same form. Our friends who had a baby the same year as us and both born here, also got the form last year.

It's standard, fill it out and collect. It's annoying I agree, but screw it, it's free and takes less than 20 minutes.


My curiosity will be next year when our second baby comes around. I'm wondering if we'll get that form again?! Lol

Top