Parenting & Family

Can I get daycare subsidy when I am on parental leave?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 7:23 am
Dec 26, 2005
298 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto

Can I get daycare subsidy when I am on parental leave?

Hi, I'm applying for daycare subsidy for my first child and will have an interview at the end of this month. I'm also pregnant and due in next Feb. Can I still can get the daycare subsidy if my hubby take the parental leave for EI? I'm in school right now.
3 replies
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1423 upvotes
Toronto
In Toronto, I don't think so. They would expect that your husband will stay home and take care of both kids while you are at school, I.e. You wouldn't require a subsidized spot because there is a caregiver available.

Eligibility:

"Each parent/guardian is either
employed,
looking for work,
in school or planning to go to school, or
if you or your child has a special need you can also apply"

But check directly with them. I'm just going by what I'm reading on their site and maybe there is nuance there? You may need to reapply when you need daycare for both kids.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6651 posts
995 upvotes
GTA
Why would you need daycare if your husband is at home anyways? Leave the spot for someone who actually need it.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
4501 posts
3666 upvotes
Ottawa
greg123 wrote: Why would you need daycare if your husband is at home anyways? Leave the spot for someone who actually need it.
Pretty normal to keep the kid in daycare I know a lot of people paying $1500 a month to do it. I would hope the city wouldn't subsidize that but if they do I don't see why you should give up your spot.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)