Students

Locked: Can I get into Humber College with these marks?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2019 7:47 am
[OP]
Sep 21, 2010
86 posts
1 upvote

Can I get into Humber College with these marks?

SORRY FOR MY LAST THREAD. lol I am new and I didn't notice this sub section :P

anyways, The college i want to go to requires 5 grade 12 senior courses at the University, Mixed or college level. This semester I only have 3 classes; an open course (not eligible) a college course and a u course so basically Only 2 courses. When applying in January, I will not have enough courses in order to enter the program. However the college says this

If an applicant is enrolled in Grade 12 required courses in the second semester (February to June), Grade 11 marks will be used to determine eligibility. Where possible, applicants should attempt to enroll in required courses during the first semester.

Does this mean they will use my Grade 11 marks if I don't have teh required courses this semester? My grade 11 marks were really good in the 80s region.

I'm basically just wondering if they will look at my grade 11 marks when I apply in January since I only have basically 2 classes this semester... I am going into Journalism - Print/Broadcast By the way.
Share:
12 replies
Nov 22, 2009
711 posts
713 upvotes
Toronto
The other guy answered your question regardless, no need to make another thread o_O
[OP]
Sep 21, 2010
86 posts
1 upvote
Aha well I need all the info I need. The guidance counsellors at my school are not very helpful.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10762 posts
665 upvotes
Scarborough
they will probably look at your Grade 11 courses for now

BUT

they will probably get your final grades for your remaining courses when the school year is over. If you fail to meet the 5 requirements and your grades are not at a certain level, they can definitely remove you if they think you are unfit for the program.

you can only guarantee a spot if you get in with your grade 11 marks, meet the 5 course requirements and then maintain strong gr12 marks.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
973 upvotes
Niagara Falls
IIRC, journalism-P/B is a competitive program at most schools. That means there are far more applicants than spots available. Applications must meet the equal consideration deadline of Feb 1st to even be considered as well as meet additional requirements like additional testings, etc. During the process they would have no choice but to look at your grade 11 marks, especially with your timetable as it is (change it!). Acceptances for over-subscribed programs start going out March 1st so I wouldn't count on a first round acceptance as you'll be competing with 12B's with all the required courses done. Depending on the applications during the cycle you're going to have to wow them with the additional testing, essay, etc. Make full use of your college application and apply at all the schools you can...

You should be thinking right now about doing a strategic application if you are serious about wanting to do this program. That means you should be looking seriously at all schools that offer the program and apply to schools outside of the GTA and other major centers where applications numbers will be lower.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
[OP]
Sep 21, 2010
86 posts
1 upvote
Yea, I figured there would be such competition. If they had to look at my grade 11 marks, it would go as such:

Travel and Tourism Open - 81
Ancient History, (Mixed, U/C) - 82
Law, (Mixed, U/C) - 80
College Math - 64
American History, University - 88
English, University - 75
Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, (Mixed, U/C) - 82
Religion (Mixed, U/C) - 89

As you can see I enjoy subjects that do not involve numbers or math lol.. I had a REALLY tough teacher for English who marked our papers like it was a University final (She even said her self). However I do have college English this semester which is fairly easy.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10762 posts
665 upvotes
Scarborough
i don't think your chances are great for journalism.

these are competitive programs everywhere and there will definitely be many people with better marks all around including math.
Aug 27, 2006
538 posts
19 upvotes
Tallgeese wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2010 2:09 pm
Yea, I figured there would be such competition. If they had to look at my grade 11 marks, it would go as such:

Travel and Tourism Open - 81
Ancient History, (Mixed, U/C) - 82
Law, (Mixed, U/C) - 80
College Math - 64
American History, University - 88
English, University - 75
Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, (Mixed, U/C) - 82
Religion (Mixed, U/C) - 89

As you can see I enjoy subjects that do not involve numbers or math lol.. I had a REALLY tough teacher for English who marked our papers like it was a University final (She even said her self). However I do have college English this semester which is fairly easy.

Your best bet will be to call the University admissions office, tell them your situation in the nicest possible way and see what they can do for you. Despite it appearing to be a fairly streamlined process, you'd be surprised what a little human contact can do for you. First, you can get the most accurate answer to your particular query from the school's administrators, and they may be able to make an exception for you. Second, by speaking with the school's administrators and directly expressing a heightened interest, they may remember your name or make note of your name as they are reading the applications.
Jun 2, 2010
209 posts
1 upvote
toronto
humber accepts everyone. just apply well before. and you'll get in. my bro didnt do ****. applied for accounting and got in without meeting the admission requirements. :facepalm:
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10762 posts
665 upvotes
Scarborough
thescore53 wrote:
Sep 25th, 2010 10:53 pm
humber accepts everyone. just apply well before. and you'll get in. my bro didnt do ****. applied for accounting and got in without meeting the admission requirements. :facepalm:

is the accounting program in humber popular?

most people doing accounting are heading off to university and not college
Jan 1, 2019
2 posts
really? my marks are low I have a 71% average I am trying really really hard to bust my marks up but do ya think I would have a chance at getting into Humber I feel like they require you to have higher marks. Tons of people have said don't worry 71% gets you In for sure They said they got in with like 68%. I don't know how true that really is???
Jan 1, 2019
2 posts
really? my marks are low I have a 71% average I am trying really really hard to bust my marks up but do ya think I would have a chance at getting into Humber I feel like they require you to have higher marks. Tons of people have said don't worry 71% gets you In for sure They said they got in with like 68%. I don't know how true that really is???