Shopping Discussion

Can I get my cousin to use his student ID to get Apple Edu discount?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2011 7:27 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 13, 2009
10 posts
Toronto

Can I get my cousin to use his student ID to get Apple Edu discount?

I'm going into grade 12, and I just want to buy a Macbook Pro now (although I'll also use it in university). Can I get my cousin to buy me a Macbook Pro and Apple Care with his student ID so I can get the discount? Would the Macbook Pro or Apple Care automatically be registered under my cousin's name, or can I register it on my name? If I was to visit the Apple Store for a repair, would I have to show the student ID or can I just get the service done without them asking about student ID at all? What are the cons of using that discount if it's under someone else's name?

Thanks for the input.
15 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
I don't know, have you asked your cousin if he will let your use it?
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2010
2757 posts
1508 upvotes
Toronto
If your cousin actually does the purchase there is nothing wrong. He/she is free to give the product to whoever they want after. You do not need to show any ID proving you're a student to get any service.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2006
1713 posts
210 upvotes
I would think you should be okay.

Although technically it isn't the right thing to do :p

But I have seen students at my uni, who have bought one and used it for the yr. Then they sold it and that was perfectly fine.

I know I bought my MBP online and it was much easier. They just asked my student number and school name. And WHAM! I had it at my house within 2-3 days.
Once my dog ate all the Scrabble tiles. For days he kept leaving little messages around the house..........
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2010
2142 posts
1566 upvotes
Just so you know, you don't need to show any ID in the first place to even purchase the product... Apple goes by the honor system when it comes to the Education store as far as I know...

Just saying.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2006
1713 posts
210 upvotes
Merc with a Mouth wrote: If your cousin actually does the purchase there is nothing wrong. He/she is free to give the product to whoever they want after. You do not need to show any ID proving you're a student to get any service.

Are you sure about that? I do know for service sometimes you get discounts if you show your ID.

I haven't needed repairs or anything, so I've never gone in for service. I would assume if you register the MBP when you turn it on to your name. Then they would know it belongs to you.
Once my dog ate all the Scrabble tiles. For days he kept leaving little messages around the house..........
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2010
2757 posts
1508 upvotes
Toronto
harryt wrote: I would think you should be okay.

Although technically it isn't the right thing to do :p

But I have seen students at my uni, who have bought one and used it for the yr. Then they sold it and that was perfectly fine.

I know I bought my MBP online and it was much easier. They just asked my student number and school name. And WHAM! I had it at my house within 2-3 days.

Well Apple does say the discount is not to be used in order for people to resell. However I'm thinking that has more to do with people using the discount to make a profit (sell in a store). There is a limit on how many purchases can be made under one student discount in a year.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2010
2757 posts
1508 upvotes
Toronto
Awjvail wrote: Just so you know, you don't need to show any ID in the first place to even purchase the product... Apple goes by the honor system when it comes to the Education store as far as I know...

Just saying.

This is only for online purchases. In store purchases require a student ID. I'm sure many people take advantage of that system but Apple does do the rare audit.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
Merc with a Mouth wrote: This is only for online purchases. In store purchases require a student ID. I'm sure many people take advantage of that system but Apple does do the rare audit.

They used to check with online purchases I think awhile back, they used to ask you to select your school from their list and provide a student ID#. Now they don't anymore, you can just go to the Education Store and shop there without providing anything besides whether you're a student, teacher or a member of the faculty staff etc.

The Edu discounts aren't that great anyway, usually in the order of 10% but I guess that's better then nothing since Apple products are rarely discounted.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2005
5218 posts
1240 upvotes
Burlington
Winkle wrote: They used to check with online purchases I think awhile back, they used to ask you to select your school from their list and provide a student ID#. Now they don't anymore, you can just go to the Education Store and shop there without providing anything besides whether you're a student, teacher or a member of the faculty staff etc.

The Edu discounts aren't that great anyway, usually in the order of 10% but I guess that's better then nothing since Apple products are rarely discounted.

It's true that you don't have to enter a student # anymore but Apple does do audits. If they catch you, you have to pay up.
Dec 13, 2009
10 posts
Toronto
Hmm... since it's only $100, would I be able to buy a Macbook at regular price and near the end of my warrant use MY education discount to get a cheap Apple Care?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
4302 posts
211 upvotes
Farm
jonny_boi wrote: I'm going into grade 12, and I just want to buy a Macbook Pro now (although I'll also use it in university). Can I get my cousin to buy me a Macbook Pro and Apple Care with his student ID so I can get the discount? Would the Macbook Pro or Apple Care automatically be registered under my cousin's name, or can I register it on my name? If I was to visit the Apple Store for a repair, would I have to show the student ID or can I just get the service done without them asking about student ID at all? What are the cons of using that discount if it's under someone else's name?

Thanks for the input.

there are no cons. just go buy it and you'll be fine.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19790 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
Ojam wrote: I don't know, have you asked your cousin if he will let your use it?

LMAO

YMMV, I was 4/5 when I used my brother's.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
8018 posts
1780 upvotes
Toronto
wts the discount like when using student discount on a mbp?
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
13064 posts
3754 upvotes
They don't care. I am not a student and work full time. I dragged my brother who is a student and he just flashed his student ID, they took his number and I paid on my credit card.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
2550 posts
1011 upvotes
Shouldn't be an issue. My buddy still has a student ID, even though he finished his masters two years ago. They accepted it no problems.

If your cousin is willing then its fine. No harm, no foul.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?