Sports & Recreation

Can I get a skater-type bike helmet and double up for skating helmet in the winter?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2011 1:15 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
12183 posts
5651 upvotes
Ottawa

Can I get a skater-type bike helmet and double up for skating helmet in the winter?

What's your take on this: I am looking to get a skater-type helmet, I only ride my bike about twice a week. Similar frequency in the winter for skating (Rideau Canal or community arenas). Do you think I can use my bike helmet for skating as well?

Not trying to be cheap, just wondering if I could get a dual-purpose helmet, considering how infrequent i ride my bike or skate. I do not skateboard or play hockey although I would not mind learning snowboarding further down the road.

If you know places (big chains or indys in the Ottawa area) that sell such dual-purpose helmets and any standards that I should be aware of, please post.
2 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3849 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
Try looking up Bern helmets. If anyone that have a dual purpose helmets, they will.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8687 posts
1542 upvotes
AFAIK, ice skating helmets have a specific certification process and I do not know of any helmet that doubles as both an skateboard helmet AND ice skating helmet.

That being said, almost any helmet is better than no helmet. Also, for public skates where a CSA approved helmet is required, they only look for CSA certification, not any specific CSA certification, hence why a lot of people wear bicycle helmets to skating lessons.