Careers

Can I be hired permanently after a temporary assignment with the Recruiter?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2015 8:43 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto

Can I be hired permanently after a temporary assignment with the Recruiter?

I noticed from various recruitment assignment agreements that you're not allow to work for the company you've been assigned to AFTER the assignment is over. Let's say that your contract is for 6 months, and after that, the employer is still not allowed to hire you permanently and they must still work with the recruiter even after your assignment term is at an end.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es/pubs/is_tha.php

"An agency cannot prevent its client business from hiring you directly if the client business wants to do so. If the agency places you on an assignment with a client business, it can charge the client business a fee for hiring you, but only in the six-month period beginning on the day you first started working for the client business."

So if your contract assignment is for 6 months, after the contract ends, your employer can hire you full time and remove the recruiter from the picture?
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2005
1304 posts
960 upvotes
Cambridge,Ontario
I think from what my wife has said about some contract employees they have had that there will be some compensation to the recruiting company if the temp worker gets offered a permanent placement.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
yyz64 wrote: I think from what my wife has said about some contract employees they have had that there will be some compensation to the recruiting company if the temp worker gets offered a permanent placement.
So you'll forever be their "b1tch"? Pardon my french.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2005
1304 posts
960 upvotes
Cambridge,Ontario
So when they lose you as a worker they get a payment.Heck my wife has been placed before and the recruiting company got paid the equivalent of 3 months of her salary.A year or so later (probably a 1 year lock out/no touch) and they'll try and swoop in and place her again trying to screw over the company that paid them for the palcement.It's all about the money and I'm sure the recruiters are on some commission based pay
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2782 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
yyz64 wrote: So when they lose you as a worker they get a payment.Heck my wife has been placed before and the recruiting company got paid the equivalent of 3 months of her salary.A year or so later (probably a 1 year lock out/no touch) and they'll try and swoop in and place her again trying to screw over the company that paid them for the palcement.It's all about the money and I'm sure the recruiters are on some commission based pay
Wow.....so never get a job from recruiters? Also, is it possible to leave during an assignment?
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2005
1304 posts
960 upvotes
Cambridge,Ontario
I'm not saying never get a job through a recruiter.Just they make money off of you and employers. And they have no real loyalty to either as they make more money by placing you and then placing you somewhere again.

As for leaving probably depends on whether or not you have a contract.It's not uncommon for the employer and the worker in a contract to have an "out".That way the employer can get rid of you if they don't need you (or you're not working out) and you could leave say if you found a permanent job.Not unusual to give either side say a 2 week notice to terminate but check your contract.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5244 posts
3536 upvotes
blitzforce wrote: Wow.....so never get a job from recruiters? Also, is it possible to leave during an assignment?
There's no legal powers in Canada to prevent you from leaving a job...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5244 posts
3536 upvotes
blitzforce wrote: http://www.indeed.com/forum/cmp/Adecco/ ... re/t459497

I'm not sure whether I should try recruiters anymore...
I have had many contractors be taken on permanently, however I always tell my contractors there's nothing certain in life but death and taxes! As much as employers want to promise, there's always factors beyond their control such as mergers/acquisitions, business goes sour, lost a major client, etc.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)