Computers & Electronics

Can I Hook Up My Galaxy S3 To T.V. And Watch YouTube Videos?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2013 3:28 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2012
3184 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto

Can I Hook Up My Galaxy S3 To T.V. And Watch YouTube Videos?

My 46-inch TV has an HDMI input and my Galaxy has a mini-USB port with the option to use the phone as a "media device". Can I somehow make my Galaxy S3 project Youtube videos on my TV? Is there such thing as a mini-USB to HDMI cable? The TV has a USB "service port" but so far I think it's only to charge USB devices, it's not an input.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2754 posts
288 upvotes
Montreal
The service port is to program the TV's firmware. The troll answer would be get a Z10 it has MicroHDMI port and your problem is solved.

What brand TV do you have?
Oct 24, 2003
797 posts
15 upvotes
i've found out by accident that the S3 can export video, pictures or music thru a setting to a samsung tv connected to the entwork.

i was playing on the couch with the pone when i just got it and hit a button in the video menu "export to device" (or something along those lines) and it started playing on my living room tv that is connected to my router. it was a nice surprise.. took me a while then to figure out how to turn it off again lol

since then i rooted it, and that function is gone as its part of the touchwiz GUI i guess
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2012
3184 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
gnuman wrote:
Feb 10th, 2013 10:38 am
The service port is to program the TV's firmware. The troll answer would be get a Z10 it has MicroHDMI port and your problem is solved.

What brand TV do you have?
It's a weird brand, I think it's korean, "DYNEX", bought it at Best Buy 2 years ago for $540.

@ EnchantedPlague: Where else can I buy this HDMI-miniUSB cable? There's no Canada Computers store in my area.

@ MP328: Is this export video option under "settings"? Do I have to have a wi-fi TV for it to work?

-
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
6523 posts
661 upvotes
BC
Gammatron wrote:
Feb 10th, 2013 12:26 pm
It's a weird brand, I think it's korean, "DYNEX", bought it at Best Buy 2 years ago for $540.

@ EnchantedPlague: Where else can I buy this HDMI-miniUSB cable? There's no Canada Computers store in my area.

@ MP328: Is this export video option under "settings"? Do I have to have a wi-fi TV for it to work?
TV brand doesn't matter, to use the export video your TV WILL need to support DLNA (aka be a smart TV) - a $540 Dynex is not going to have this capability. You can also buy the cable from Monoprice as compwizrd mentioned earlier, but the link was broken by the RFD referral link, try this link instead: http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2

If 2M is long enough you can also get this one (includes free shipping): http://www.memoryhouse.com/products/115 ... 11PMHLSAM/
Oct 24, 2003
797 posts
15 upvotes
Gammatron wrote:
Feb 10th, 2013 12:26 pm

-
i really dont recall anymore and i cant check since mine is rooted now where the export option is. i believe it was a menu option in the gallery when the movie was playing. one of the menus gives an option to export to device.

and my tv isnt wireless, i have it plugged into the router with a network cable. it does have the media player capabilites (DLNA), but i just thought because it was samsung as well as the phone, it was working. maybe other DLNA capable tv's work also. no idea
× < >