Pets

Can I leave my dog in the car when it's cold out?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2010 12:08 am
Tags:
None
Jun 4, 2006
426 posts
1 upvote

Can I leave my dog in the car when it's cold out?

Planning to go skiing for an afternoon/evening and don't have anyone to watch the dog so I'm wondering if she'd be ok left in the car even if it's up to -10 outside (any colder and I won't go skiing anyway.)

I know you can't leave dogs in a hot car but I figure they'd do much better in a cold one. My dog is also a husky so she has a thick undercoat and loves being outside in the cold when I take her for walks.

I'm planning to bring her dog bed for her to sleep on and come back to take her out every 1 1/2 hours and make sure she has fresh water.

I'm really only concerned about the cold as I know she's fine left alone in the car and doesn't get anxious or anything but just goes to sleep or sits and people watches.

Overall she'd be in the car for probably 5-6 hours in total. Would this be a bad idea or should she be fine?
175 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2008
1269 posts
153 upvotes
OMG. Delete thread immediately

<awaits all humanitarians to start crying and an outpour of emotions>
[OP]
Jun 4, 2006
426 posts
1 upvote
mmagda wrote:
Jan 18th, 2010 9:32 am
OMG. Delete thread immediately

<awaits all humanitarians to start crying and an outpour of emotions>
Normally I'm one of those too but only if I can think of a rational reason to argue about it. As for leaving my husky in the car, I can't think of one and just want to make sure I haven't overlooked anything.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
4792 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto
Why not just leave the dog at home, having a neighbour check on them or even walk them if needed?
[OP]
Jun 4, 2006
426 posts
1 upvote
DearSummer wrote:
Jan 18th, 2010 9:43 am
Why not just leave at home, having a neighbour check on them or even walk them if needed?
I don't really have a neighbour that could check on/walk her or I would do that and we'd be gone longer than she can be left alone at home for.
Sep 26, 2006
573 posts
22 upvotes
Put on a coat, sit in your car parked outside for 1.5 hours and if you don't freeze your a$$ off, then leave your dog in there.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
3633 posts
338 upvotes
I've seen a lot of kennels on Craigslist.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
7980 posts
1182 upvotes
London
Personally, I'd say sure. But animal people will go crazy if this see a dog in car in "extreme" conditions. Do you want to take the chance you'll be one window less after your ski run? Find somewhere else to put the dog.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
3568 posts
31 upvotes
Javeman wrote:
Jan 18th, 2010 9:30 am
Planning to go skiing for an afternoon/evening and don't have anyone to watch the dog so I'm wondering if she'd be ok left in the car even if it's up to -10 outside (any colder and I won't go skiing anyway.)

I know you can't leave dogs in a hot car but I figure they'd do much better in a cold one. My dog is also a husky so she has a thick undercoat and loves being outside in the cold when I take her for walks.

I'm planning to bring her dog bed for her to sleep on and come back to take her out every 1 1/2 hours and make sure she has fresh water.

I'm really only concerned about the cold as I know she's fine left alone in the car and doesn't get anxious or anything but just goes to sleep or sits and people watches.

Overall she'd be in the car for probably 5-6 hours in total. Would this be a bad idea or should she be fine?
she's a husky, she'll be fine.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
2271 posts
3 upvotes
Mississauga ON
-10 doesn't sound too bad for a husky
Nov 26, 2007
703 posts
81 upvotes
Just look for a dog kennel. I know if I went skiing, and saw a dog in a car at the ski hill, I'd be calling the humane society to get the dog of out the car. If you can't find someone to look after your dog, then you shouldn't be going anywhere.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2009
1150 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah, I guess its okay to leave your dog outside for a while. Depending how long you take it in though, it depends.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
173 upvotes
Javeman wrote:
Jan 18th, 2010 9:30 am

I assume you mean she will in the car ALONE for probably 5-6 hours in total. It means she will be in the car longer than that. How big is your car?
Also, I bet you will forget about your 1.5 hours interval for her.

Yes, you are risking losing a window.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
6484 posts
150 upvotes
High chance you will get in trouble because some folks will not see that you are coming out to see her every 1 to 1.5 hours.

To fix this, print this page out and paste it on your window so they know your intentions.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
May 2, 2008
187 posts
15 upvotes
if you really love your dog, you would bring him/her to a doggy day care for the day so they can be at least in some place warm and have other dogs to keep them company.

I'm not a vet but when I was looking into purchasing a husky, I went over to a breeders house to check out the pups. The breeder kept the mother and father husky outside and they seemed fine. But the dogs had a kennel that was insulated so they could go inside and warm up when they got cold.

I'd recommend a doggy day care but they are like $30-$50 a day I think.

How old is your husky? If they are over 1 years old, I'm sure they can last for at least 6-7 hours before they have to pee.
× < >