Personal Finance

can i mail all tax returns in one envelope....

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2011 10:28 am
Tags:
None
Jan 19, 2009
893 posts
30 upvotes

can i mail all tax returns in one envelope....

3 people in my family had some previous years taxes done to claim some gst/tuition credits, can i just put them all into one envelope and mail them together or does cra need to receive them seperately? all going to the same place.....my logic tells me it is ok but who knows, sometimes cra can be unreasonably picky so i thought id ask anyways
7 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2914 posts
267 upvotes
Put each member of your family in a separate envelope.

Multiple returns for the same person can go in the same envelope.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
2875 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto
In theory, you can. In reality, it's best not to do so. If these were prepared and printed with a computer program, the first couple of pages have a 3D barcode on them. I heard the CRA person who opens the envelope, scans in the barcodes (which hold all the info entered in the return), then files it away without looking at anything else, unless selected for a review. If you have other returns behind the top one, they might not notice it and they'll be missed.

If you're super cheap (well, this is RFD after all), maybe put a big post-it note over the front barcode with a message, "two more tax returns behind this one!" so it's more likely to be noticed.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9172 posts
381 upvotes
Markham
I've done this recently (for the same reason), I sent it all in the same envelope and it was fine. These credits take a long time to adjust though.
:lol:
[OP]
Jan 19, 2009
893 posts
30 upvotes
thanks guys! ill just put them in seperate envelopes then, rather spend a few extra bucks on postage stamps then to have a mix up and delay the process...

on another note, each person has 2 years worth of taxes, do I need to send each seperately (6 envelopes) or I can put same persons mutiple taxes into one envelope?...I think someone above mention I can do the latter but just wanted to double check, cause of the barcode scanning mention im worried they will miss a return if i combine them
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
1729 posts
166 upvotes
Kitchener
enter wrote:
Jun 8th, 2011 3:11 pm
thanks guys! ill just put them in seperate envelopes then, rather spend a few extra bucks on postage stamps then to have a mix up and delay the process...

on another note, each person has 2 years worth of taxes, do I need to send each seperately (6 envelopes) or I can put same persons mutiple taxes into one envelope?...I think someone above mention I can do the latter but just wanted to double check, cause of the barcode scanning mention im worried they will miss a return if i combine them
Where do you live? If you have six returns, it might be easier for you to put them all in separate envelopes and drop them off at your local Canada Revenue Agency Tax Services Office. When you do this, you do not need to put postage on the envelopes. Plus, with the Canada Post strike, this may be the better option anyways so you avoid delays in processing your return.

Check here to see if there is one close to you:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/cntct/tso-bsf-eng.html
Jun 15, 2001
397 posts
45 upvotes
T.O.
We have included two tax returns in one envelope (my wife's and my own) every year for the past 10 years and have never had a problem. Returns are processed quickly (3-4 weeks) as we normally mail our returns out in March.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3713 posts
43 upvotes
I have done it separately. But reading above looks like there is no problem with one package.
Ban Steve Downie from NHL
Self Proclaimed PYwner Late Miss. Masco:My Gramma is gooder than your typos Says GrammerNazi.
smitty9999 on saving power: nooB Powers on the PC just to post stfu.
board123:when challenged runs away as fast as it can, hide behind mommy.
× < >