• Nov 20th, 2010 10:16 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2007
4433 posts
589 upvotes

Can I pack a knife in checked baggage?

Traveling to Mexico for a fishing/snorkeling trip.

Can I pack a small pocket knife in my checked baggage to snorkel and clean fish with?
11 replies
Oct 1, 2007
265 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
While I've never been to Mexico specifically, I always travel with at least one folding knife in my checked luggage. And have never had issues, just make sure it's not super expensive. just to be on the safe side.
Oct 8, 2008
684 posts
52 upvotes
As a frequent flyer I can say you will encounter no issues
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9341 posts
1547 upvotes
Toronto
I always pack a Swiss multi-tool knife and no probs.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
15662 posts
1210 upvotes
GTA West
I always pack a boxcutter in my checked luggage, and I never had a problem, even as a brown guy. :lol:
- Not Collecting AIR MILES Since 2016/07 -
- Casual Gastronomist -
Oct 18, 2006
405 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
I've accidentally had a knife in my CARRY-ON luggage for 4 separate flights which I had to walk through security each time and had no problem ;)
Jan 8, 2007
349 posts
69 upvotes
I actually had a boxcutter in my backpack going to Vegas last year. Didn't notice it in there until I was back home unpacking my laptop. :-0
Aug 17, 2009
28 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver, British C…
I want to buy a chef's knife coming back from Japan, any prob if I check it in?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9341 posts
1547 upvotes
Toronto
waterproof wrote:
Nov 10th, 2010 4:45 pm
I want to buy a chef's knife coming back from Japan, any prob if I check it in?

Nope, I've brought knives before.. as long as it's in your checked luggage and in a box or a protective sleeve then you're okay.
Jan 19, 2006
259 posts
66 upvotes
BC
I too always pack a knife in checked luggage.

A young male airport worker at the security check in point thoroughly searched my suitcase to be checked in and gestured that this knife was "prohibito" because its blade was longer than the broadest part of his hand. I think he simply admired my favorite Swiss Army serrated lock blade and thought he would talk me out of it.

I argued nicely with the lad until his superior overheard us, rolled his eyes back and directed him that my knife was no problem. If it was not going to be returned I would have put my foot on the blade and broken it off.

Still travelling with it!
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10042 posts
1608 upvotes
Kingston
Just make sure you get to the airport on time.

I was on a flight where a guy coming back from a fishing trip arrived to the airport late so there was no time to check his luggage. It ended up being all carry on. Which meant he was now trying to take his fishing knife on the plane. They took him away in handcuffs!
May 30, 2005
73 posts
2 upvotes
Two times in the last three years I've traveled with a lot of woodworking hand tools in my checked luggage. I've carried things like folding knives, carving knives, fairly large machetes (carried 1 with me to the destination and brought 4 new ones back with me, last time), chisels, gouges, an adze, etc., etc.

Each time there's never been a problem, and last time I didn't even have to declare the contents of what I was bringing back with me (from the Caribbean) in my checked luggage.

So, yeah, as everyone has already said - you shouldn't have any problems bringing knives along with you or buying them/ bringing them back with you in your checked luggage.
× < >