Home & Garden

Can I replace / Reprogram new ADT Alarm Keypad without a service call?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2006 8:26 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
2520 posts
84 upvotes

Can I replace / Reprogram new ADT Alarm Keypad without a service call?

I recently switched over to ADT, I cam from another company that was using standard DCS Power 832 systems which ADT and most everybody else uses.

We are having problems since we switched over, and we are unable to bypass zones anymore and ADT said it is probably our keypad and they would have to send over a tech over at $70/hour + travel costs.

It's just crazy, if forever reason it ends up being a keypad problem, which I doubt since it is a power 832 system. Could I just buy a newer more ADT friendly keypad off [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=78]ebay[/rfdlink] and install it myself? is this easy enough to do?
4 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4184 posts
280 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Yes it's realtively easy to do. There are 4 wires on the back, just match them up between the keypads.

Also, you can download the manuals for the keypad and the 832 systems from DSC and various other websites online.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
2520 posts
84 upvotes
Will I have to reprogram the keypad at that point? or is it fed programming from the main panel?

Also, my problem is that since I switched companies, my zone bypassing no longer works and the alarm will go off and I am sure I am bypassing the right zone, the ADT guy said it will require a service call or our equipment is not comaptible (which is bull).

Any ideas what I can do on my own to figure out why zone by passing is not working, they definitely screwed something up switching me over, so I know it has to be just a matter of programming, but I assume it is programming that will have to be done from an installer's menu.
BuildingHomes wrote:Yes it's realtively easy to do. There are 4 wires on the back, just match them up between the keypads.

Also, you can download the manuals for the keypad and the 832 systems from DSC and various other websites online.
Banned
May 29, 2005
2255 posts
31 upvotes
GTA
On a different note, as anyone purchased their OWN alarm system, have it installed by someone else, and monitored by a company like the "monitoring centre"?

Am in the market for an LCD keypad home alarm
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4184 posts
280 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
My understanding is this.. The LCD panels can be programmed to display names associated with zones, as opposed to just showing ZONE1, ZONE2, etc.. it can display FRONT DOOR, BACK DOOR, etc.. I could be wrong because I have not played around with them enough yet.

As for ADT doing a service call.. Sure, they'll want to do that and program their phone numbers into the dial sequence. But as long as you have the installer code, you should be able to program those numbers in yourself. The DSC832 supports a few different datagram formats too, you just need to know which one their call centre requires.

For Zone By-pass.. All I can suggest is read the manual and see what you can find.

I will be ordering my own equipment next month to play around with in my own home, so I will learn more then.
× < >