• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2017 8:34 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 23, 2016
464 posts
145 upvotes

Can I return this at Costco?

I've been a Costco member for years but have only returned items recently bought. However there are now 2 items I am genuinely not happy with - one is a duvet that has shifted and is all over the place. Not warm on one side at all. It's 1 year old and I had bought it online - can I return it?
22 replies
Feb 22, 2016
762 posts
378 upvotes
springdays wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 4:47 pm
I've been a Costco member for years but have only returned items recently bought. However there are now 2 items I am genuinely not happy with - one is a duvet that has shifted and is all over the place. Not warm on one side at all. It's 1 year old and I had bought it online - can I return it?
Definitely. For less hassle, hopefully you have the receipt from the online order, otherwise they should be able to find the order via your membership number.
They take back almost everything. The only main exception is 90 days limit on electronics (so if your 2nd item is in that category...)

I have returned dead LED bulbs that were over a year old. The box claims 10 years of life so when they started dying prematurely (they had all died after 8-14 months of normal use; they were not on 24/7 by any stretch) I just kept the bulbs (with bubble pack and receipt) until I had enough to refill the bubble pack, brought them back for full refund. These were those horrible Sunbeam brand LED's they sold a few years ago but don't carry anymore, probably because of a high rate of returns. I haven't bought LED's from Costco ever since, go figure the GE ones I've bought at Sam's Club in the USA to replace them are still going strong after 3+ years (and counting).
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10491 posts
1613 upvotes
Ottawa
if the thing doesn't reasonably perform during its expected lifetime, then it's fair game for a return. As long as you didn't abuse the duvet by washing it wrongly or something, then I would expect it to perform reasonably well after 1 year.
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6640 posts
928 upvotes
Online orders are even easier to return I find since they run Costco.ca like a separated company and the Physical Warehouse Stores are just a drop off point for returns and refund processing.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2006
8102 posts
2242 upvotes
Richmond Hill
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 5:17 pm
Definitely. For less hassle, hopefully you have the receipt from the online order, otherwise they should be able to find the order via your membership number.
They take back almost everything. The only main exception is 90 days limit on electronics (so if your 2nd item is in that category...)

I have returned dead LED bulbs that were over a year old. The box claims 10 years of life so when they started dying prematurely (they had all died after 8-14 months of normal use; they were not on 24/7 by any stretch) I just kept the bulbs (with bubble pack and receipt) until I had enough to refill the bubble pack, brought them back for full refund. These were those horrible Sunbeam brand LED's they sold a few years ago but don't carry anymore, probably because of a high rate of returns. I haven't bought LED's from Costco ever since, go figure the GE ones I've bought at Sam's Club in the USA to replace them are still going strong after 3+ years (and counting).
Damn I had those shitty bulbs too and they all died but I didn't think about taking them back for a refund and threw them out :(
Feb 22, 2016
762 posts
378 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 11:35 pm
Damn I had those shitty bulbs too and they all died but I didn't think about taking them back for a refund and threw them out :(
Whenever I buy bulbs (of the LED or CFL variety) I *always* keep the receipts and the bubble packs/boxes they came in. They all like to claim many years/hours of service life, so if a bulb can't even make it to half the advertised service life, it's going back (either to the store, or back to the manufacturer) for a refund. Given how much you'd spend replacing all your house's bulbs with LED lighting under the expectation you're paying a premium to get 10 years use, of course you'd be rightfully annoyed if they lasted less than 5.

I should add, the returns lady at Costco had to be a wiseass and say "with any bulb you're lucky to get a year and a half out of them"... I snapped back "if the box said 18 months then I wouldn't be returning them, hell, I wouldn't have BOUGHT them in the first place..." Gotta love the arrogance of a monopoly....
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6716 posts
698 upvotes
Toronto
Thought this thread might be about a leftover piece of pumpkin pie.:)
Aug 9, 2017
150 posts
137 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 5:17 pm
I haven't bought LED's from Costco ever since, go figure the GE ones I've bought at Sam's Club in the USA to replace them are still going strong after 3+ years (and counting).
I bought about 100 Feit CFL light bulbs from Costco in America while it was heavily subsidized by local utility (90% off) and been using them for 6-8 hours per day for 6 years and still working fine. Only had 3 that failed over the last 2 years.
My goal in life is to get a million downvotes :)
Feb 19, 2017
226 posts
107 upvotes
Depends on what condition the Duvet is... assuming its normal use and you are just not happy with it, then there shouldn't be any problem returning it. Honest'y while exiting Costco i've seen customer returns things that look much older than 1 year and i doubt they have any issue so this shouldn't be much of an issue either.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2515 posts
234 upvotes
Vancouver
Which duvet was this, OP? I recently bought the Kirkland goose down duvet for $120 , which is a steal! But it's not so great if the down ends up shifting.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
15202 posts
4265 upvotes
Ottawa
Just saw a lady last night returning strawberries.
Op...you are good to go!
[OP]
Mar 23, 2016
464 posts
145 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 4:02 pm
Just saw a lady last night returning strawberries.
Op...you are good to go!
Oh no!

litebrite - no it's not a Kirkland one, I got another on special.

Thanks everyone - that makes me feel better - it is a "genuine" return as in who would expect a duvet used minimally to lose feathers on on side after a few months (we only started using it a few months ago)
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3765 posts
1210 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
springdays wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 5:04 pm
who would expect a duvet used minimally to lose feathers on on side after a few months (we only started using it a few months ago)
You need a baffle box construction duvet to avoid this. Otherwise simple things like always making the bed from the same side with the duvet in the same orientation will shift all the down over. Washing/drying can break down the down so it clumps up in places.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2515 posts
234 upvotes
Vancouver
springdays wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 5:04 pm

litebrite - no it's not a Kirkland one, I got another on special.

Thanks everyone - that makes me feel better - it is a "genuine" return as in who would expect a duvet used minimally to lose feathers on on side after a few months (we only started using it a few months ago)
Yours is a definitely a legitimate complaint. I had a down duvet from The Bay and the down started shifting after about a year of use and I was able to return it back to them for a store credit for the amount I paid.

Hopefully the Kirkland one is better quality than the one you got from Costco. I've used it for about a month, so far so good...
Nov 20, 2008
107 posts
36 upvotes
Scarborough
YES! And they won’t even make you feel like you’re doing something wrong. Costco is no questions asked returns on anything, besides the electronics.