Travel

Can I return the I-94 at Pearson Airport?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2019 6:52 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 28, 2008
37 posts
Toronto
Phils wrote:
May 18th, 2015 7:14 am
Was the officer US or Canadian? When crossing by land I only ever see the Canadian border guards. Did you ask them to take it?
Yes he was Canadian, I didn't ask him to remove it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5085 posts
859 upvotes
Montreal
Only the US officers should be given the I-94. Canadian officers have no jurisdiction.

I once encountered an overzealous Canadian officer who wanted to take mine because it wasn't stamped "multiple entry" but I managed to stop him with the understanding that I would get it stamped right away. When I asked the US officers about this, they said he had no business touching a US document. Then they couldn't find the stamp so they wrote "Multiple Entry" by hand on the card.
Phils
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2008
2273 posts
290 upvotes
North York
Phils wrote:
May 18th, 2015 12:37 pm
Only the US officers should be given the I-94.

This is simply incorrect. You can give back I-94 to Canadian Officer who will pass it along to US Officer as an indication that you have left the country. This is by far the most convenient way to do it.

If you forgot to return it the second easiest way is that you can mail it back (just google search returning I-94 by mail). These are the two officials way to do it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5085 posts
859 upvotes
Montreal
Ethan,

I had no idea. The US officer I spoke to was not very happy when a Canadian officer tried to take mine a few years ago. Nice to know.
Phils
Aug 9, 2014
26 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto, ON
http://www.cbp.gov/travel/international ... structions

Quote from above:-

Upon exiting the U.S., travelers previously issued a paper Form I-94 should surrender it to the commercial carrier or to CBP upon departure. Otherwise, CBP will record the departure electronically via manifest information provided by the carrier or by CBP.
Dec 27, 2012
12 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks h1ghland3r , I went to T3 on Thursday. An airport staff guided me to customs office located in T3 arrivals lobby (you have to press buzzer for them to open door), Customs officer asked me to leave slip there in a tray. Worry free now :-)
Apr 20, 2015
303 posts
45 upvotes
Brampton, ON
sorry to resurrect an old thread, but is the above post, still the way to return the i-94 at YYZ?
Aug 13, 2006
298 posts
33 upvotes
MrPsv1 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 12:07 pm
sorry to resurrect an old thread, but is the above post, still the way to return the i-94 at YYZ?
Yes. I have dropped it off at the Nexus office since they are manned by both Cnd and US customs.
Feb 17, 2017
859 posts
534 upvotes
Calgary
MrPsv1 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 12:07 pm
It's worth pointing out that if your not a Canadian citizen, it's not really necessary these days as Canada tells the US if a non-Canadian/Non-US citizen enters Canada by land. You can confirm if the exit has been recorded at http://i94.cbp.dhs.gov
Apr 20, 2015
303 posts
45 upvotes
Brampton, ON
CanadianSpruce wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 1:20 pm
It's worth pointing out that if your not a Canadian citizen, it's not really necessary these days as Canada tells the US if a non-Canadian/Non-US citizen enters Canada by land. You can confirm if the exit has been recorded at http://i94.cbp.dhs.gov
I'm a PR of Canada and my exit was recorded according to the website, does that mean I don't need to give it back?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9889 posts
7178 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Used to work for Customs...

The rules remain the same today as they were in 2015 when @sanjlika wrote reply # 20 above:
sanjlika wrote:
May 18th, 2015 5:32 pm
http://www.cbp.gov/travel/international ... structions

Quote from above:-

Upon exiting the U.S., travelers previously issued a paper Form I-94 should surrender it to the commercial carrier or to CBP upon departure. Otherwise, CBP will record the departure electronically via manifest information provided by the carrier or by CBP.
IF you have a paper Visa Waiver (since 2015 the majority are now automated / electronic) from a Land Crossing, or because you requested one... then upon exiting the USA this paper should be surrendered to US CBP
(Yes folks means you are supposed to stop at the US Border Office and hand it in)

However if you retained it, by either forgetting, or anticipating perhaps a return visit to the US Before it’s Expiry Date... then you really should surrender it as per the Regulations on Visitors

Will definitely benefit you when you go thru US Customs again (no chance of a RED FLAG)

You can hand it in at any US Border Post... including those at a Cdn Airport that offers US PreClearance
Apr 20, 2015
303 posts
45 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Went to Terminal 1 Arrivals and visited the CBSA office near entrance E. They stamped the I94 and took it out of my passport.

thanks for the help
Apr 18, 2009
880 posts
321 upvotes
Toronto/Plano/Atlant…
PointsHubby wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 3:50 pm
Used to work for Customs...

The rules remain the same today as they were in 2015 when @sanjlika wrote reply # 20 above:

IF you have a paper Visa Waiver (since 2015 the majority are now automated / electronic) from a Land Crossing, or because you requested one... then upon exiting the USA this paper should be surrendered to US CBP
(Yes folks means you are supposed to stop at the US Border Office and hand it in)

However if you retained it, by either forgetting, or anticipating perhaps a return visit to the US Before it’s Expiry Date... then you really should surrender it as per the Regulations on Visitors

Will definitely benefit you when you go thru US Customs again (no chance of a RED FLAG)

You can hand it in at any US Border Post... including those at a Cdn Airport that offers US PreClearance
My wife is a PR in Canada. She was issued a paper I-94 ( with a date of May 28 2018) when she entered the US by road last week. The bottom of the I-94 says "US-VISIT DATE OF ENTRY MULTIPLE"

We returned by road after two days. I checked her passport number on https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home , it does show the entry date and departure date.

Because the I-94 says "Multiple", can she use it for multiple trips till close to the expiry date ? We are planning another trip to NYC during Christmas.

Thanks
Feb 17, 2017
859 posts
534 upvotes
Calgary
emale wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 1:13 pm
My wife is a PR in Canada. She was issued a paper I-94 ( with a date of May 28 2018) when she entered the US by road last week. The bottom of the I-94 says "US-VISIT DATE OF ENTRY MULTIPLE"

We returned by road after two days. I checked her passport number on https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home , it does show the entry date and departure date.

Because the I-94 says "Multiple", can she use it for multiple trips till close to the expiry date ? We are planning another trip to NYC during Christmas.

Thanks
Yes, you can use it multiple times.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9889 posts
7178 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
emale wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 1:13 pm

Thanks
CanadianSpruce wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 4:35 pm
Yes, you can use it multiple times.
@CanadianSpruce is correct... your wife is good to gain entry into the USA until the i-94 Expires

For more info on I-94s check out my next post I make in this topic