Computers & Electronics

Can I run two wireless routers at the same time from same modem?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2010 9:08 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28318 posts
822 upvotes

Can I run two wireless routers at the same time from same modem?

I have a Linksys WRT54G router and I've just bought a Trendnet TEW-652BRP ver 2 wireless N router. I want to run both routers off the same cable modem for two reasons:

1. I know with the WRT54G (w/tomato) I can restrict access to the internet during predetermined times for each computer, I don't think I have that option with the Trendnet.

2. I'm (partly) guessing that if you run both wireless 'G' and 'N' devices, the router will default to the 'G' specs. Is that so? I remember hearing there was a workaround for that, and would love to hear it.

So, for now, my plan is to connect the Trendnet into the WRT54G through its lan port and into the Trendnet's WAN port. I'll then setup the Trednet to service wireless 'N' devices in the house while keeping the WRT54G feeding wireless 'g' and my son's computer connected by a LAN port.

Any flaws in my plan?
Hail Eris!
15 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3713 posts
44 upvotes
hagbard wrote:
Jun 28th, 2010 4:45 pm
I have a Linksys WRT54G router and I've just bought a Trendnet TEW-652BRP ver 2 wireless N router. I want to run both routers off the same cable modem for two reasons:

1. I know with the WRT54G (w/tomato) I can restrict access to the internet during predetermined times for each computer, I don't think I have that option with the Trendnet.

2. I'm (partly) guessing that if you run both wireless 'G' and 'N' devices, the router will default to the 'G' specs. Is that so? I remember hearing there was a workaround for that, and would love to hear it.

So, for now, my plan is to connect the Trendnet into the WRT54G through its lan port and into the Trendnet's WAN port. I'll then setup the Trednet to service wireless 'N' devices in the house while keeping the WRT54G feeding wireless 'g' and my son's computer connected by a LAN port.

Any flaws in my plan?
I use Dlink and Bell wireless Router like your plan at bottom.
Ban Steve Downie from NHL
Self Proclaimed PYwner Late Miss. Masco:My Gramma is gooder than your typos Says GrammerNazi.
smitty9999 on saving power: nooB Powers on the PC just to post stfu.
board123:when challenged runs away as fast as it can, hide behind mommy.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28318 posts
822 upvotes
I just tried it. They both work, but the WRT54G has far superior signal strength which is what I bought the Trednet for. So, I'm likely going to toss the brand new Trendnet router into a box and forget about it unless I need a replacement in a hurry. You'd think the wireless 'N' would beat a 'G' hands down, since that their claim to fame.

Suppose if there was no limit on my bandwidth, I could offer public access on the 'N' router, though the public would have to be right outside my house.
Hail Eris!
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
2586 posts
303 upvotes
I have the same router, I mainly use it for my guest. Whenever friends or relatives come by that's where they connect. They can surf the net whenever they want to. My iptv is also connected to that router.
Banned
Sep 6, 2007
631 posts
16 upvotes
Trendnet TEW-652BRP is supported by dd-wrt, why don't you flash it?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28318 posts
822 upvotes
SecuritySic wrote:
Jun 28th, 2010 7:27 pm
Trendnet TEW-652BRP is supported by dd-wrt, why don't you flash it?
As I pointed out, its ver. 2. The consensus is you can't.
Hail Eris!
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10974 posts
1338 upvotes
hagbard wrote:
..2. I'm (partly) guessing that if you run both wireless 'G' and 'N' devices, the router will default to the 'G' specs. Is that so? I remember hearing there was a workaround for that, and would love to hear it..
Won't the G and the N router compete with each other? I thought you essentially have 3 wireless channels to work with => Ch1, Ch6 and Ch11. N gets high speeds by bonding those same channels together?
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2005
3116 posts
354 upvotes
l69norm wrote:
Jun 29th, 2010 12:40 am
Won't the G and the N router compete with each other? I thought you essentially have 3 wireless channels to work with => Ch1, Ch6 and Ch11. N gets high speeds by bonding those same channels together?
Different frequencies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5379 posts
362 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
hagbard wrote:

Any flaws in my plan?
This would work (as you have mentioned) but you then you are running two DHCP servers on the same network and computers in one can't talk to the computers on the other (if you are doing network drives for example).

What you should have done is to turn off DHCP on the N router, assign it with an IP that belongs to the Linksys network, plug the cable from Linksys LAN port to TrendNet's LAN port, and use the TrendNet as an wireless access point, so that the Linksys would assign IP address to all computers on the network even if they are connected to the TrendNet via wireless N.

This is what I am doing, with a 54G in the basement and a WRT300N in the study on the 2nd floor.
hagbard wrote:
Jun 28th, 2010 5:58 pm
I just tried it. They both work, but the WRT54G has far superior signal strength which is what I bought the Trednet for. So, I'm likely going to toss the brand new Trendnet router into a box and forget about it unless I need a replacement in a hurry. You'd think the wireless 'N' would beat a 'G' hands down, since that their claim to fame.

Suppose if there was no limit on my bandwidth, I could offer public access on the 'N' router, though the public would have to be right outside my house.
Try turning on wide band (5GHz) in the Trendnet in N-only mode if you haven't already. Perhaps there's interference in the 2.4GHz.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10974 posts
1338 upvotes
Luckyinfil wrote:
Jun 29th, 2010 9:15 am
Different frequencies
I didn't think that particular trendnet router supports dual band mode (2.4 and 5) ?

Ok - some googling around:
1. Survey the channels already in use
2. Hopefully as a pair CH6/CH1 OR Ch6/CH11 aren't used
3. Say CH 6/11 aren't used. Set the N router to CH9 with 40 MHz bandwidth (N bonds two regular CH 6/11 together into one faster/wider Channel on CH9). Otherwise, assume CH6/CH1 aren't used, then set the N to CH 3
4. Manually set the Linksys to the last remaining Channel (so 6/11 used for N, set Linksys for CH1) or (Say 6/1 used for N, then set Linksys to CH11)

If the Linksys and N are both set by default to CH6, then both routers will kill each other's signal
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
10995 posts
868 upvotes
Kanata
hagbard wrote:
Jun 28th, 2010 5:58 pm

have you run inSSIDer to see what other channels are in use around your area? Could be interference.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28318 posts
822 upvotes
goofball wrote:
Jun 29th, 2010 6:12 pm
have you run inSSIDer to see what other channels are in use around your area? Could be interference.
Yep. I put them on the least used channels, which isn't hard to do here in Hooterville.
Hail Eris!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
6217 posts
667 upvotes
London
Well most manufacturers if not all are pumping, Linksys (Cisco) even spin consumers around their Wireless N Lite or 150M routers http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30804/100/

The only benefit imo Wireless N over G is the superior transfer rate between wireless clients...if you don't need that (for example streaming 1080p content from your network drive to your laptop or WDTV type of device) G is as good as N imo.
× < >