Personal Finance

Can I setup US based ACH fund transfer with TD USD account?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2023 3:34 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
1389 posts
3 upvotes

Can I setup US based ACH fund transfer with TD USD account?

I want to transfer funds to USA brokers from TD Canada

trust USD checking account. International wire transfer

is too expensive, can I set up a ACH transfer? Is there

any fee to be charged?

I also noticed that TD Canada trust & Bank of America's

ABA routing number are same.

Thanks.
bonne chance
33 replies
Banned
Jun 19, 2006
9349 posts
57 upvotes
Don't know which US-based broker you're using, but Interactive Brokers handles transfers to/from my TD US dollar chequing account with EFT no problem.

I can also link my IB account into US bank accounts using ACH.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
1389 posts
3 upvotes
pitz wrote: Don't know which US-based broker you're using, but Interactive Brokers handles transfers to/from my TD US dollar chequing account with EFT no problem.

Thanks a lot. Are you using US IB or Canadian IB?

Is there any fee using ACH with Canadian based USD checking

account? Will it be considered as wire transfer?

TD Canada trust & Bank of America are using the same ABA routing

number: 026009593

Thanks again.
bonne chance
Oct 31, 2006
182 posts
1 upvote
I'm pretty sure that Canadian banks only send EFT's, not ACH. So if your broker accepts EFT fine, but I imagine IB is the only one that does.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
1389 posts
3 upvotes
pitz wrote: Don't know which US-based broker you're using, but Interactive Brokers handles transfers to/from my TD US dollar chequing account with EFT no problem.

How can I setup EFT in US based IB?

ABA routing number is branch number plus institution number?

Thanks a lot
bonne chance
Jul 12, 2006
438 posts
35 upvotes
Can someone who has done this successfully chime in here? Trying to set up EFT between two accounts and the dolts at TD of course have no clue. I have the ABA routing number, but what precedes the account number? I tried the ABA+account# and the ABA+(funky 4 digits code provided by teller)+account#. Neither worked.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2003
1457 posts
142 upvotes
victoria, bc
Ferris Bueller wrote: Can someone who has done this successfully chime in here? Trying to set up EFT between two accounts and the dolts at TD of course have no clue. I have the ABA routing number, but what precedes the account number? I tried the ABA+account# and the ABA+(funky 4 digits code provided by teller)+account#. Neither worked.

I can tell you what I tried (about 20 mins ago) ...

I have a USD Borderless account at TD Canada Trust ... trying to pay a US Dollar, US Addressed credit card (god I hate Chase - getting rid of this f-ing card as soon as I get this resolved).

for my ABA / US Routing number I used 026009593 (I called the TD Canada Trust easyline and they gave me this number ... so help me god if it fails / doesn't work). Even though a quick google reveals it's the Bank of America ABA routing number - but I understand they settle TD's accounts in the US.

I then used the 4+7 account number at the bottom of my USD Cheques from TD Canada Trust. The weird thing is the person on the phone (easy line) couldn't tell me what my full account number was. Furthermore, online, it only shows 7 digits - the 2nd level CSR on the phone told me I had to use all 11 digits.

anyways ... I put it in, the payment hasn't gone through - don't expect it to for a few days ... but we'll see how it goes ... I'll probably end up with another $15 service charge ... but we'll see. Fingers crossed.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
njchan wrote: I can tell you what I tried (about 20 mins ago) ...

I have a USD Borderless account at TD Canada Trust ... trying to pay a US Dollar, US Addressed credit card (god I hate Chase - getting rid of this f-ing card as soon as I get this resolved).

for my ABA / US Routing number I used 026009593 (I called the TD Canada Trust easyline and they gave me this number ... so help me god if it fails / doesn't work). Even though a quick google reveals it's the Bank of America ABA routing number - but I understand they settle TD's accounts in the US.

I then used the 4+7 account number at the bottom of my USD Cheques from TD Canada Trust. The weird thing is the person on the phone (easy line) couldn't tell me what my full account number was. Furthermore, online, it only shows 7 digits - the 2nd level CSR on the phone told me I had to use all 11 digits.

anyways ... I put it in, the payment hasn't gone through - don't expect it to for a few days ... but we'll see how it goes ... I'll probably end up with another $15 service charge ... but we'll see. Fingers crossed.
FYI I tried this using Paypal and it failed.... Paypal is a good way to test this as they dont charge if it fails :)

I noticed on my cheques though now it doesn't have just a 4 digit transit, but 5 digits... maybe I will try with 5 digits + account
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2002
3855 posts
47 upvotes
Mississauga
Does anyone know the proper settings? I try to put in 004 for Bank and the 5-digit Transit, and I've tried both the 11-digit and 7-digit bank account number, but nothing seems to work.

Can anyone that's had success post just a format of what they used?
I noticed that IB adds on an extra 0 at the front of the Bank + Transit Number.
ie) if Bank was 004 and Transit was 12345, then what you submit should be 00412345, but IB submits 000412345. It's probably intentional but it's just different.

Is there anything that has to be done at TD to enable this?
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2002
3855 posts
47 upvotes
Mississauga
njchan wrote: Furthermore, online, it only shows 7 digits - the 2nd level CSR on the phone told me I had to use all 11 digits.

Easyweb shows the full 11 digits now. Why were you charged a $15 fee? Also, did you find the right settings?
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
This doesn't work. I tried it every way from Sunday with paypal. If anyone CAN get it to work please post full details on how.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
May 15, 2009
17 posts
Alberta
Get an actual us bank account from td bank north, or whatever they've changed their name to this month. You can then withdraw from paypal to this account, then xfer across the border to your usd account at td canada trust. Withdraw the the bank north account takes a day or two, and xfer across the border is same day.

I've heard you need to open the bank north in person now though. I've had mine for almost 10 years, and have seen the name change a few times, it was td bank usa, then before that through td waterhouse.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2003
1457 posts
142 upvotes
victoria, bc
well ... my attempt is posted in message number 8 above ...

and the results were a no go ... although the transaction went through to start, Bank of America reversed the transfer within 5 days ... then slapped a $30 charge on TD, which they then forwarded to me - but not before adding their $45 NSF charge.

so $30USD + $45NSF = one pissed off TD customer ... after complaining for about 45 mins and providing the reference number for my original call where the CSR gave me the numbers to begin with, TD ate the fees - although they make it sound like they were doing me a favor - whatever happened to customer service?

bottom line, I had to get help to pay this credit card bill off - now that I'm back to a 0 balance, I'm cancelling this puppy ... what a piece of crap.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5785 posts
810 upvotes
njchan wrote: well ... my attempt is posted in message number 8 above ...

and the results were a no go ... although the transaction went through to start, Bank of America reversed the transfer within 5 days ... then slapped a $30 charge on TD, which they then forwarded to me - but not before adding their $45 NSF charge.

so $30USD + $45NSF = one pissed off TD customer ... after complaining for about 45 mins and providing the reference number for my original call where the CSR gave me the numbers to begin with, TD ate the fees - although they make it sound like they were doing me a favor - whatever happened to customer service?

bottom line, I had to get help to pay this credit card bill off - now that I'm back to a 0 balance, I'm cancelling this puppy ... what a piece of crap.
So the payment initially went through then came back?

Overall not surprising as those routing numbers are not to be used with Canadian accounts anyway. But fail on TD's part for leading you on, I guess in the big picture they should at least picked up the tab for the fees (without pulling their teeth) since they gave you incorrect info.

I assume your card is now unpaid? Chase isn't exactly the best company to deal with either.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
ws2001 wrote: Get an actual us bank account from td bank north, or whatever they've changed their name to this month. You can then withdraw from paypal to this account, then xfer across the border to your usd account at td canada trust. Withdraw the the bank north account takes a day or two, and xfer across the border is same day.

I've heard you need to open the bank north in person now though. I've had mine for almost 10 years, and have seen the name change a few times, it was td bank usa, then before that through td waterhouse.
You have had your account a long time so are grandfathered - for anyone who opens an account NOW there is no way to directly transfer from TD Bank USA to TD Canada Trust without paying a $40 wire transfer fee. you have to use a third party service like XETrade.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2002
3855 posts
47 upvotes
Mississauga
Wow, this is insane! No one has figured out how to transfer USD from IB to TD?

How is anyone else getting their USD out from IB? I assume many people use it because IB has one of the best forex rates out there, but aside from trading forex, what good is it if you can't withdraw in the currency you've purchased?
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
simms wrote: Wow, this is insane! No one has figured out how to transfer USD from IB to TD?

How is anyone else getting their USD out from IB? I assume many people use it because IB has one of the best forex rates out there, but aside from trading forex, what good is it if you can't withdraw in the currency you've purchased?
As others have said - open a real US bank account.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1186 posts
48 upvotes
Vancouver
simms wrote: Wow, this is insane! No one has figured out how to transfer USD from IB to TD?

Well there is at least one user who has managed to do it, and I've had no problem with my big 5 (non-TD) bank USD account as well.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2002
3855 posts
47 upvotes
Mississauga
I wanted to provide an update: I was all set to open an account with RBC and filled out all the paperwork, but somehow, the TD transfer went through!

So I was able to set up TD as a credit/debit via IB. Here's what I used:

Bank Number = 004
Transit Number = Branch Number + "2" for Southern Ontario
Account Number = 7 digit account number on Easy Web

I called the bank name "TD Bank" and did Debit&Credit in USD.
And it worked! Good luck to those still trying!