• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2018 10:29 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 27, 2014
339 posts
84 upvotes

Can I still eat this peach?

Bought a bunch of peaches from Superstore. Picked the unripe/hard ones with "smooth" skin and stored them in the fridge at home. Next day, the peaches have a layer of "something" white on them (see photo). Some have the white substance all over them. Can I still eat these peaches or should they be thrown out?

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/mBJ8m9f.jpg[/IMG]
15 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
2689 posts
282 upvotes
Looks good to me, just wash it off and cut it open if it looks bad on the inside throw it out
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
8049 posts
8626 upvotes
Downtown Canada
it looks good, in fact, if you find a fruit that is quickly spoiling, that means that it didn't get all the crap that farmers use these days to make the fruits look "fresh" and have a longer shelf life.
Feb 27, 2014
339 posts
84 upvotes
Thanks for the info! Glad to know I can still eat the peaches.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
7086 posts
5214 upvotes
Don't put unripened peaches in the fridge, they will not ripen.

Leave them on the counter and in a couple of days they will be good to go.

Sadly they only last a couple of days before they turn bad. It's not really a fruit you can store for a long time.

So, buy peaches, let them sit for a couple of days, wash, peel, slice and eat. Sometimes I skip the peeling and slicing and just eat.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15769 posts
11167 upvotes
renoldman wrote: Don't put unripened peaches in the fridge, they will not ripen.

Sadly they only last a couple of days before they turn bad. It's not really a fruit you can store for a long time.

So, buy peaches, let them sit for a couple of days, wash, peel, slice and eat. Sometimes I skip the peeling and slicing and just eat.
Don't peel it. The fuzz is the best part of a peach!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
I can eat a peach for hours!...lol

For the white on the surface I usually just brush it off with my thumb.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
renoldman wrote: Don't put unripened peaches in the fridge, they will not ripen.

Agreed - same with tomatoes.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
bonterra wrote: Put a tomato in the fridge and it's ruined.
Agreed. Yet many stores keep their tomatoes in the refrigerated section - along with peaches etc. Price does not matter - it seems to be happening everywhere. I won't buy them - and it makes me question many of their other food items.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes

Really? Peaches last at least a week for me.
I’ve never seen a peach go bad after buying one that was fine
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2008
1329 posts
320 upvotes
Markham
these must be the Mackinaw peaches Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Thanks RFD I'm poor because of all the deals :cry:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
Is the 3 year bump for upcoming peaches season?
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
No Frills wrote: Is the 3 year bump for upcoming peaches season?
Actually, quite possibly yes.
Blanche123 wrote: Yet many stores keep their tomatoes in the refrigerated section - along with peaches etc. Price does not matter - it seems to be happening everywhere. I won't buy them - and it makes me question many of their other food items.
I'm only finding Organic peaches in the refrigerated portion of select grocery stores. Perhaps when they come back in season here in Ontario they'll be in a standard fruit section of a grocery store on display near the apples etc, looking peachy. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!