Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 18, 2005
494 posts
20 upvotes
Courtice

Can I still get osap?

I have always been able to pay cash for my schooling each year. This time around I didn't have the money and was in a crunch. I quickly went to my credit card to pay it.

Now it's winter vacation and I just thought of osap. Will osap fund me even though it been paid with a credit card and it's coming up on second semester?
10 replies
Feb 28, 2013
945 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
You can apply for the winter term.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4264 posts
622 upvotes
You can apply, they will look at your assets (home, car) and if you have any then forget about getting OSAP.
Then they will look at your income and as long as you don't earn too much they should be able to help.
Thing is, those things take months.
[OP]
Jun 18, 2005
494 posts
20 upvotes
Courtice
I currently am financing a car with less then 2 years left and make 20k a year. I have a friend who makes approx. the same and has a car higher valued. I think I would get it. It was just a matter of will they give it to me even if I've paid and it's so late in the year
Apr 1, 2012
153 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Of course they won't pay for something you've already paid for. Apply for next semester.
Nov 30, 2013
239 posts
47 upvotes
Arviat
Yes. You still can ( I think depends on program, but try anyway)
May 24, 2013
666 posts
113 upvotes
No harm in trying. What's the worst that can happen?
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4264 posts
622 upvotes
If you have a car (which you said you do) they won't give you anything.
I have a friend with a 10k car and no income and they refused him because of the car.
Feb 28, 2013
945 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
Don't worry about applying. It didn't even take that long.

I'll tell you it isn't so hard to get osap. My husband qualified for enough to pay tuition while we were both working livable yet minimal wages (I was student too but no loans, generous and financial able parents who paid tuition and books not that that part was asked on his app) and no, they don't seem to care about bank account balances because we had over 10k in there (after a stint overseas and wedding money) and could have used it to pay his tuition but we were stupid with money instead. It was fun.

I don't know what happened with that guy and his car.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
2028 posts
172 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
flafson wrote:
Dec 14th, 2013 12:45 am
If you have a car (which you said you do) they won't give you anything.
I have a friend with a 10k car and no income and they refused him because of the car.
The car should only matter if its value is more than $4000.