Page 1 of 1

Can I travel to the US with an arrest record? (NO criminal)

Posted: May 31st, 2010 9:24 pm
by Consumer01
A few months ago (august 2009), I was caught shoplifting. An undercover LP caught me as I walked out the door and took me into the back room. There, they proceeded to take my information down, read my rights and waited for the police to come. When the police came, they decided not to press any charges, and just gave me a lecture (they were quite nice I have to add) and a 70$ ticket for trespassing which I paid online a few days later. However, one of them did write down alot of my information from whatever piece of ID i had.

Now I am terrified. I know I do not have a criminal record because I was never charged or convicted, never asked for fingerprints or asked to go to court, but do I have an arrest record? Will I be able to travel or pass a police check? I'm scared that I will not be able to cross the borders as this may be on CPIC. Will i have any trouble travelling to the US? Please help!!!

Re: Can I travel to the US with an arrest record? (NO criminal)

Posted: May 31st, 2010 9:45 pm
by Kakarot
hahaha, you will be 100% fine... even minor charges can get in the US... but they do not like drug related charges... you have NO record and that cannot and will not show up at customs.... you would have to have been charged, found guilty and attended a court......

My brother in law had a dui and uttering threats charge, he goes to the US all the time, no problems.

don't stress

Re: Can I travel to the US with an arrest record? (NO criminal)

Posted: Jun 1st, 2010 12:44 pm
by mpsrent
You're alright. A trespass fine is like a speeding ticket. The officer took notes just to support his trespass notice in the event you choose to fight the fine in court.

Learn from your mistake, one stupid little theft can create a lot of hardship for your later in life.

Have a good trip.