Home & Garden

Can I use this drywall for my bathtub surround?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2014 1:15 pm
Tags:
None
17 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
4391 posts
1505 upvotes
QC
You need mold resistant for bathroom. So yes this can work.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1117 upvotes
Mississauga
I'll assume there is no shower in the tub area?

If so than I would go with something that is water proof, not just water resistant and install it about 12" above the tub area and overlap it onto the tub lip. This way if it's totally waterproof up to the 12" or higher depending on your budget than there is no way mold can get behind the membrane if installed as per manufactures instructions. To me there is a huge diffference between something that they claim to be "water resistant" as apposed to "waterproof". Something that is water resistant, mold can eventually grow, something that is water proof, mold cant grow. As for the type of tile, it doesn't really matter if grout or silicone is being used.

These are my opinions, take it for what it's worth.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
4594 posts
19429 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, it's gonna be a standard size 5 foot bathtub area. So i need the walls for that and I thought that I would need something more waterproof. I looked at Kerdi board and it's very expensive. LIke $40 a sheet but it seems more appropriate for a bathtub surround.
Oct 17, 2013
583 posts
36 upvotes
yes it will work but not last long or hold up well to moisture hence mold infestation.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1117 upvotes
Mississauga
Stovetop:

There are many waterproofing products out there, but since you mentioned schluter, I tend to like the kerdi better, although the board is easier to install you can overlap the kerdi onto the tub lip as well as between the bottom of the tub and the ditra floor to allow an uncoupling membrane as well as a whole waterpoof membrane. Keep in mind you can still use the kerdi board and overlap onto the tub lip, but I find that expensive.

This is the old fashion way of the install.

[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/imag ... lUntaReJis[/IMG]

This is the schluter kerdi overlap waterproof membrane method. Mind you I don't use the pvc/vynl liner as shown in the image, I just use a 1/8" gap with 100% colour match silicone.

[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/imag ... eqUqDd-Ido[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
4594 posts
19429 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
From the pics, I like the old fashion way of the install hahha...i was thinking of going with Denshield since that cheaper gypsum stuff doesn't seem suitable for tub surrounds...maybe more for just the bathroom walls in general.

The guy i'm hiring to do this is only using the basic green board so i'll probably pay the difference for the Denshield.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2003
4603 posts
257 upvotes
Burnaby
stovetop wrote: Yeah, it's gonna be a standard size 5 foot bathtub area. So i need the walls for that and I thought that I would need something more waterproof. I looked at Kerdi board and it's very expensive. LIke $40 a sheet but it seems more appropriate for a bathtub surround.
If you insisnt on using drywall products with a paper front, you still need to water proof it somehow. You can use RedGuard:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/redgard ... lon/921795

You paint it on and when it dries it becomes a waterproof membrane.

Or you can get Kerdi (the actual membrane, not the boards) and that gets mortared onto the drywall. Kerdi board is really just Kerdi on a foam board.
Items for Sale:
...nothing for now...

References: eBay Feedback
May 14, 2007
654 posts
105 upvotes
Ottawa
gheart008 wrote: If you insisnt on using drywall products with a paper front, you still need to water proof it somehow. You can use RedGuard:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/redgard ... lon/921795

You paint it on and when it dries it becomes a waterproof membrane.

Or you can get Kerdi (the actual membrane, not the boards) and that gets mortared onto the drywall. Kerdi board is really just Kerdi on a foam board.

...Mapai AquaDefense is also an option for liquid paint-on waterproofing if you prefer Lowes to HD.
Nov 24, 2002
900 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
I used Wedi board in my bathroom and it's amazing. Watch youTube videos for more info. It's 100% water proof, solid, and very very light. Easy to cut and install with only 1 worker. It's also 1/2 the price or less than Kerdi.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2003
4603 posts
257 upvotes
Burnaby
leonk wrote: I used Wedi board in my bathroom and it's amazing. Watch youTube videos for more info. It's 100% water proof, solid, and very very light. Easy to cut and install with only 1 worker. It's also 1/2 the price or less than Kerdi.
Where did you get Wedi board? I used Kerdiboard for my last tub shower and it was a breeze to install. Looks like Wedi board is a copy of Kerdi, so if it's just as easy to install and half the cost, I'm all in. Looking to build a new shower soon so want to see where I can get Wedi.
Items for Sale:
...nothing for now...

References: eBay Feedback
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
gheart008 wrote: Where did you get Wedi board? I used Kerdiboard for my last tub shower and it was a breeze to install. Looks like Wedi board is a copy of Kerdi, so if it's just as easy to install and half the cost, I'm all in. Looking to build a new shower soon so want to see where I can get Wedi.
Found a place here http://www.mosaic.biass.ca/products-ser ... toronto/1/
but if Leonk, know of another location let us know
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5111 posts
1546 upvotes
Kitchener
leonk wrote: http://www.tilemastercanada.com/

They're located in Aurora and a few other places. It's where the pro's shop!
great place for all your tile needs, but I've only seen Schluter products there.. at least in the Kitchener location
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
4594 posts
19429 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I'm gonna go with Denshield. It's cheaper and works in tub surrounds.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8939 upvotes
Toronto
Just a note that for KERDI, they recommend just using regular drywall underneath it. Schluter doesn't recommend greenboard.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)