Shopping Discussion

Can I use a gift card to buy another gift card?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2013 12:15 pm
Sep 3, 2005
761 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto

Can I use a gift card to buy another gift card?

For example, I have $100 SDM gift card, and they have Futureshop gift card at SDM. Can I just use one store's gift card to buy another store's gift card?

Thanks
18 replies
Jan 11, 2007
293 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm not aware of their specific policies on the matter, but generally the answer is no.
[OP]
Sep 3, 2005
761 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
yeah.. cause i got a $100 SDM gift but I need to buy sth from Futureshop... was wondering about it.. searched around, didn't get any answer..
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2008
1584 posts
189 upvotes
Oakville
For customer queries please write or call us at 1-800-SHOPPERs.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18494 posts
926 upvotes
Dunno about SDM but Petro Canada and Soveys allow this I know for sure.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2004
3889 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto
I know for sure Rexall and Metro doesn't allow this.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4212 posts
218 upvotes
Toronto
Loblaws allows you to buy GCs with that PC GC.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Mar 31, 2006
729 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga
spy cl wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2010 12:58 am
For example, I have $100 SDM gift card, and they have Futureshop gift card at SDM. Can I just use one store's gift card to buy another store's gift card?

Thanks
The answer is yes. Many people on this message board have done it many times. However, there are some cashiers who will tell you you cannot do it. Just go to a different store if that happens.

There was an amazing promo last year - 7,000 bonus points if you buy Esso gift card at SDM. Mostly everyone was buying SDM gift cards first and then buying Esso card.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/sdm- ... gc-779057/
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7437 posts
316 upvotes
Canada
A lot of stores are starting to disallow this because of a lot of scamming that happens (someone skims a CC or debit card, buys a lot of GC's, then use those GC's to buy other GC's so that it is not as easily traceable)

It usually depends on the manager of the store, but many are starting to say no
He died for me, I live for him.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2007
1221 posts
127 upvotes
Mississauga
I've found it's usually no. I get a lot of GCs for Xmas and some I can't use, they won't let me change for another GC. The only time I've been able to change was when it was to another card for the same store (Xmas GC for a wedding GC or Xmas for Bday). I'm going to be trying again for my grocery store cards to exchange soon but I'm guessing I won't be able to.

Plus, I don't know why on earth anyone shops at SDM anyway. Even with their crappy points, you're still paying 20-30% more than any other pharmacy! Optimum points doesn't make up for the difference, nor does their spend $100-150 get 'insert something worth $15 here'. You're paying 20% more so they STILL scam you. SDM sale prices are the same or higher than other stores regular prices.

I only go to Shoppers for my prescriptions since it's the closest pharmacy, and my drugs are covered along with SDM's ridiculously high processing fee. I don't buy anything in there, with the exception of loss leaders and super sales.

Sorry for the rant! ;)
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1957 upvotes
Yes, you can buy another GC at SDM using a SDM GC. Many of us have done it. As VOV86 pointed out, some stores like to make up their own rules, but there is nothing on the GC that says that it can't be used for GCs. The GC is equivalent to $100 cash at SDM.

catwalk, as for why people shop at SDM, perhaps you ought to read some of the threads here. I had all but given up on SDM until I got involved with the referral events etc. Last year, I redeemed over $800 in free merchandise from SDM. You can do very well with them if you know how to shop. Note I don't buy over priced products at SDM and actually don't spend much compared to what I get back.
Mar 31, 2006
729 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga
catwalk wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2010 11:34 am
Plus, I don't know why on earth anyone shops at SDM anyway. Even with their crappy points, you're still paying 20-30% more than any other pharmacy! Optimum points doesn't make up for the difference, nor does their spend $100-150 get 'insert something worth $15 here'. You're paying 20% more so they STILL scam you. SDM sale prices are the same or higher than other stores regular prices.

I only go to Shoppers for my prescriptions since it's the closest pharmacy, and my drugs are covered along with SDM's ridiculously high processing fee. I don't buy anything in there, with the exception of loss leaders and super sales.

Sorry for the rant! ;)
You're 100% right regarding Shoppers prescriptions. I never go there and their fee is simply ridiculous. Food Basics or Wal Mart would be a much better choice.

However, when it comes to other products they have some good sales all the time. Just remember one thing - never pay their regular prices, always wait for items on sale. And if you spend $50 or $75 you can benefit as well. Below is an example:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/10351337-post28/

Also if you buy their gift card you would get Optimum points. SDM gift card can be used for for stamps, lottery, bus tickets. So you can buy these things somewhere else (Canada Post, convenience store, bus terminal) and do not get any points or buy them at Shoppers and at the end you would get a lot of Optimum Rewards points.
Mar 31, 2006
729 posts
17 upvotes
Mississauga
Cheap Cat wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2010 11:45 am
Yes, you can buy another GC at SDM using a SDM GC. Many of us have done it. As VOV86 pointed out, some stores like to make up their own rules, but there is nothing on the GC that says that it can't be used for GCs. The GC is equivalent to $100 cash at SDM.

catwalk, as for why people shop at SDM, perhaps you ought to read some of the threads here. I had all but given up on SDM until I got involved with the referral events etc. Last year, I redeemed over $800 in free merchandise from SDM. You can do very well with them if you know how to shop. Note I don't buy over priced products at SDM and actually don't spend much compared to what I get back.
+1

The important thing is to wait for their promos and sales - referral points etc. and you will get a lot of $$$ back.
Sep 20, 2006
12 posts
spy cl wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2010 12:58 am

Thanks
I tried this at Staples - using a staples gift card to buy other gift cards that they sell and it worked.
Nov 5, 2009
388 posts
35 upvotes
Does anyone know if you can do this with an Esso Gift Card? Use an esso card to get another GC at Esso for another store, I wanted to get The Bay.
× < >