Shopping Discussion

Can I use multiple gift cards in one transaction at Hudson's Bay?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2017 6:58 am
[OP]
May 13, 2011
43 posts
7 upvotes
Scarborough

Can I use multiple gift cards in one transaction at Hudson's Bay?

I have four $25 Hudson's Bay eGift Cards. On HBC website, it says they can be used online or in-store. I am planning on purchasing a $100+ item and was wondering if I can use all 4 eGCs to pay for it.

In the FAQ it states
For Gift Card use in-store, please present the Gift Card to the sales person as your payment type. If your purchase exceeds the amount of your Gift Card, you may pay the balance with one additional Gift Card and/or one additional form of payment: Hudson’s Bay MasterCard, Hudson’s Bay Credit Card, cash, credit or debit Card.
So it looks like I can only use 2 GC + other form of payment (credit/debit card) for one transaction. Has anyone ever successfully tried to use more than 2 GC in one purchase? Can the 4 GCs balance be combined into one single GC in store so that I can use it to pay for $100+ purchase?
14 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
2034 posts
1044 upvotes
Have not had a HBC / HUDSON’S BAY / THE BAY Gift Card in eons... but I can offer up this info from their website:

1- Their GCs come in a wide assortment of amounts

2- They do promote a GC Swap Service... so seeing as you want to trade a HBC CARD for another HBC CARD, I think you’ll be good to go

Then you could pay your bill easily with 2 or less GCs

See this page for more info on these 2 services
http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... /gift-card
[OP]
May 13, 2011
43 posts
7 upvotes
Scarborough
PointsHubby wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 11:45 am
Have not had a HBC / HUDSON’S BAY / THE BAY Gift Card in eons... but I can offer up this info from their website:

1- Their GCs come in a wide assortment of amounts

2- They do promote a GC Swap Service... so seeing as you want to trade a HBC CARD for another HBC CARD, I think you’ll be good to go

Then you could pay your bill easily with 2 or less GCs

See this page for more info on these 2 services
http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... /gift-card
Doesn't look like it supports trading HBC GC for HBC GC. I don't see Hudson's Bay or The Bay listed as a merchant in the dropdown box: http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... w/cardswap
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
2034 posts
1044 upvotes
MacPod wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 11:52 am
Doesn't look like it supports trading HBC GC for HBC GC. I don't see Hudson's Bay or The Bay listed as a merchant in the dropdown box: http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... w/cardswap
Ok, looks like they use a 3rd Party for their GC Trades... so it would make sense they don’t list their own

I suggest therefore you contact HBC directly and ask what you can do

One would think they’d have no issue swapping out 2 unused GCs of their own for a larger one

http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... actUsEmail
[OP]
May 13, 2011
43 posts
7 upvotes
Scarborough
PointsHubby wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 12:07 pm
Ok, looks like they use a 3rd Party for their GC Trades... so it would make sense they don’t list their own

I suggest therefore you contact HBC directly and ask what you can do

One would think they’d have no issue swapping out 2 unused GCs of their own for a larger one

http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... actUsEmail
Thanks PointsHubby!

I have sent them a question through the Contact Us form. Will keep this thread updated once I get a reply or answer.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3978 posts
1144 upvotes
FYI,

If you are buying an item and they are offering say 20% off if you pay with HBC credit card, you will still receive the whole discount if you pay partially with the credit card.

So, you could buy $100 of stuff and pay $75 with gift cards and the remainder ($5) with the credit card.

Never paid with more than 1 gift card , so can't answer the original question.
Jul 23, 2017
8 posts
Hi, yeah you can use multiple gift card in a single transaction.

I received 5 x 50$ egift cards on my bday from an uncle that didn't know how to buy 1 250$ directly.

I printed them and went to the store and used them in 1 transaction without any issue. The cashier only need to scan each one and enter the PIN and you're good. If you want to return the product you have bought, then they will put the balance on a single physical card.

I don't have the HBC card but I think you can even accumulate points from the transaction.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
2034 posts
1044 upvotes
moudmah1 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 7:39 pm
Hi, yeah you can use multiple gift card in a single transaction.

I received 5 x 50$ egift cards on my bday from an uncle that didn't know how to buy 1 250$ directly.

I printed them and went to the store and used them in 1 transaction without any issue. The cashier only need to scan each one and enter the PIN and you're good. If you want to return the product you have bought, then they will put the balance on a single physical card.

I don't have the HBC card but I think you can even accumulate points from the transaction.
That might be true for the store (in person I would expect no less)

But not everything HBC / HUDSON’S BAY carries is available in store

And their online purchasing says no more than 2 HBC Gift Cards... which is why I think the OP started the topic
Jul 23, 2017
8 posts
PointsHubby wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 10:32 pm

And their online purchasing says no more than 2 HBC Gift Cards... which is why I think the OP started the topic
Yeah, but if he really want to order online, the last option would be to go in store buy 1 item of 100$+ , return it on the spot and get a 100$ gift card that can be used online.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
2034 posts
1044 upvotes
moudmah1 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 10:41 pm
Yeah, but if he really want to order online, the last option would be to go in store buy 1 item of 100$+ , return it on the spot and get a 100$ gift card that can be used online.
Huh ?

If they are going to go in person to a store, it would be to swap out two Unused HBC Cards of smaller amounts for one at a higher amount

Buying other crap is just a huge waste of time & effort.
Jul 23, 2017
8 posts
PointsHubby wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 10:45 pm
Huh ?

If they are going to go in person to a store, it would be to swap out two Unused HBC Cards of smaller amounts for one at a higher amount

Buying other crap is just a huge waste of time & effort.
You're right if the store was bestbuy/walmart (where you can actually check your balance online), but the system at labaie is so old school (I think their computer run on DOS, you have to call or visit a store to check your balance), it will easier/faster that way, because even the cashiers are not familiar with the egift card.
I don't know why they are so behind on technology, even starbucks let us transfer money from a gift card to another online.
[OP]
May 13, 2011
43 posts
7 upvotes
Scarborough
PointsHubby wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 10:32 pm

Thanks moudmah1 for sharing your experience. There is a Bay near where I live so based on your comment, it looks like if I do print out all of the eGCs, I should be able to use all of them in a $100+ purchase in-store no problem.

Regarding in-store vs online, I don't really have a strong preference for either one. If I can't find the right size in-store, I will usually then try to order it online.

Also, I think the original quote I posted from HBC's FAQ webpage was referring to in-store if I understood correctly
For Gift Card use in-store, please present the Gift Card to the sales person as your payment type. If your purchase exceeds the amount of your Gift Card, you may pay the balance with one additional Gift Card and/or one additional form of payment: Hudson’s Bay MasterCard, Hudson’s Bay Credit Card, cash, credit or debit Card.
Feb 19, 2017
572 posts
220 upvotes
A couple years ago i went using oakridge gc at the bay there (promo on gc). The cash system wouldnt process multiple gc but the cashier was relatively new. An older/more experience cashier just told her to use 2 gc to buy a new gc and repeat until it covers the total.
Feb 3, 2014
183 posts
237 upvotes
Toronto
Purely based upon personal experience in last two weeks:

1: In the store: Yes, you can use multiple e-gift cards in same transaction/payment, without any prob/question. Please take print outs for quick processing. (In my case, I forgot to take print outs. I had pictures of 7 gift cards of different amount on phone). The casher and floor manager were super friendly. They called their internal number. Spoke with someone to confirm e-gift cards and pin. It took 10-15 minutes though). All went well.

2: Online: Yes, you can. But, the limit is two gift card. After two e-grift card, it won't give an option for 3rd one.

Hope this helps :)
MacPod wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 11:37 am
I have four $25 Hudson's Bay eGift Cards. On HBC website, it says they can be used online or in-store. I am planning on purchasing a $100+ item and was wondering if I can use all 4 eGCs to pay for it.

In the FAQ it states

So it looks like I can only use 2 GC + other form of payment (credit/debit card) for one transaction. Has anyone ever successfully tried to use more than 2 GC in one purchase? Can the 4 GCs balance be combined into one single GC in store so that I can use it to pay for $100+ purchase?